- NZ download for Steam and CS1.6 from Gameplanet (or JSG realm)
*- How to Install Steam includes the "The local service is not running" error fix. Also see Steam Features info (HalfLifeSource)
- How to get 1.6 and Steam FAQ (cherie #Fem-FX)
- Steam setup instructions forum thread (sogamed)
Check SteamPowered News often for Steam/Friends network status, upgrade announcements etc.
- Official SteamPowered Steam FAQ and Support/Help forums (Valve)
- Steam Problem Thread (CSNZ Gen Forums)
- Steam support on irc: on GamesNet
1. #steam To ask a question /msg SteamBot <question>
3. #steam-hangout If you want to chat.
To find NZ 1.6 Servers: Under 'Servers', filter by: Game cstrike, Latency <100, Location Australia
New location for config.cfg and autoexec.cfg: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[Your e-mail]\Counter-Strike\cstrike
*- Gokken: features Tweaking CS1.6 guide, Custom skins etc. info, Common Steam and CS1.6 Problems/Solutions guide.
- Steam skins sites: steamskinners.jbdubbs and steam.krzyworld
- Steam/CS 1.6 Support Page - includes Steam Client FAQ/ Playing MP3īs/ Weapon and Radio Binds/ Mute Players/ Finding Your SteamID/ Showing Your Real FPS/ Full list of console commands/ Enable Compatability Mode/ Close Steam While In Background/ Router Ports (DeCapiTator)
- 1.6 guide to Buy scripts/ Changing font/ Changing weapon names/ Increasing Frame rate (Mike 'toshiRo' Contant / clan zEx)
- MP3 Player instructions (CSNZ Gen Forums thread)
Changing In-Game Font : Changing In-Game Font in CS 1.6 (also see this thread and trackerscheme)
How to install custom skins, sounds, maps, etc.: Instructions
Returning Titles to normal (eg replacing 1.6 weapon names with the classic names): Extract titles.txt to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[Your-mail]\Counter-Strike\cstrike
de_aztec weather: cl_weather 1/0 enables/disables the rain
1.6 Buy Scripts
- RzE's CS Helper version 16.0, a popular alias pack (updated to support CS 1.6 and Steam)
- TitrationX's here
- NextWish's CS script
- Counter-Script 1.6 Scripting FAQ
Turning off Mouse Acceleration
- Start Steam, click on Games
- Rightclick on CS, select Properties, then click on Launch Options
- Add the parameters -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd -noforcemparms
- Create/modify a CS shortcut with the target "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent -applaunch 10 -nojoy -console -game cstrike -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd -noforcemparms
Muting Players In-Game
- Escape, click "Player list"
- Scroll down to the appropriate person
- Click 'Mute In-game Voice'
*Having problems with Steam Hanging?
Problems are often caused by your login to Steam being messed up. This trick seems to solve problems for many people:
- Go to C:\Program Files\Steam
- Delete ClientRegistry.blob (just rename it if you don't like the idea of deleting stuff)
- Exit Steam
- If you can, check Steam has Actually closed in Task Manager
- Start Steam. It should auto-update once its loaded, thus reinstalling the clientregistry.blob file.
- Auto-Reload Pistol Bug
- Invincibility Bug
- Invisibility Bug: Shields get 'lost'
- Server Crash Bug
- Hitbox Bugs
- Shield going through single surfaces Bug (eg walls, windows, doors)
- VIP Bug: Possible to spawn as a VIP with a shield.
- Slow down Bug : If you have the riot shield on block mode, then drop it, you will be stuck in the slow movement even though you aren't carrying the shield anymore. You can get out of this by taking out your knife or another gun.
- Can't Pick Up Bug: eg Shields dropped at T spawn in some places on Aztec (Sogamed thread with pics)
Losing Binds When Dead Bug: this is rumoured to occur because you've pressed the crouch key/died. Try
1. type spec_menu 0 in console OR
2. push ~ to activate console, then push escape, then push ctrl to bring up the spec menu OR
3. type +duck in console. Close it and you'll see a menu bar underneath. Click on Options and select Close
Teamchange Bug: Sometimes you can't change teams - you will have to reconnect to do so.
1024x768 Bug: Missing 1024x768 Resolution option (image)
HLTV: Current word from HLTV.org is that HLTV has problems. Connecting HLTV from the same network as the CS server still works, but connecting outside your own network doesn't work. **Updated: "HLTV will be working again, it just has some trouble since the authentication code changed from WON to Steam. Update comes soon ..."" (schroet.com)
* 1.6 has a different command to stop HLTV demo recording on serverside - it's now "stoprecording" rather than "stoprecord" (please note, SERVERside not CLIENT)
Friends List Bug Fix: Instructions
- 1.6 can only play 1.6 demos, no previous demo versions are supported.
*Either use bds's SKPlayer 1.1 demo util or go into CS console and type viewdemo <demoname> or playdemo <demoname>
*If you want to fast forward type host_framerate 0.1 in console To return to normal speed type host_framerate 0
- Ineyes 1.6 demos sometimes still shows "Select Team' menu even though the player has joined team/spec. The Scoreboard does not show correctly.
- HLTV 1.6 demo map overview now takes up 1/4th the screen and has an ugly white border. The overview also zooms when the POV players uses a weapon to zoom.
- The viewdemo player itself is pretty similar to that of 1.5. "In fact it's identical, the only thing is that the F1/F2 buttons don't do anything. Remember when cs1.4 came out and the F1/F2 buttons didn't work, and you had to edit some bat file (I can't remember exactly what now) to unbind the keys? Well that was because those keys were reserved for the viewdemo command. But in 1.6 they don't do anything at all... Which leads to a problem where the viewdemo player just disappears after you close it and watch the demo. There's no way to getthe player back (at least I couldn't figure it out). But in CS 1.4/1.5 all you had to do was hit the F2 key to get it back... Also, while you can watch a demo with the viewdemo player displayed, the screen is darker, and you can't see all that much." (Sogamed thread)
- 'Official' CS Bots have been removed in this 1.6 release. Here's some random rumours as to why.
- CS 1.6 Server Setup Primer by ep1taph (please note, SERVER not CLIENT)
*- Linux Steam and CS1.6 Install Guide (please note, SERVER not CLIENT)
* = Recently added/updated