Page 1 of 79 12341151 ... Last

1. Post

what are you currently reading?

2. Post
    Penguin History of New Zealand by Micheal King.

I want my post count back

3. Post
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires. ~

4. Post
    Lunar Park, Bret Easton Ellis

5. Post
    Book 2 of The Wheel Of Time.

Missed far too much reading it the first time =/

6. Post
    while waiting for a dance with dragons from G R R Martin
    im almost finished the first book in the wheel of time
    probably buy the second sometime this week

ive got a bad habit of getting halfway through a series and starting a new one

currently halfway through
    Memory Sorrow and Thorn - "stone of Farewell"
    The Liveship traders " Ship of Magic "
    just went back to reading the first book of wheel of time after 2 years on

all this just because Mr Martin releases his precious gems at the most random times
    and i have to read them as soon as they come out
    He's rough, he's tough, and bad guys yell "enough"

7. Post
    ^^ Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is awesome, but take my advice about buying WoT books: Don't do it!!! You'll hate yourself when you get up to Book 9 and you've spent all that money just to reach an extended plot synopsis. If you can get them $1 or $2 each it might be worth it

I'll re-commend Elizabeth Knox's Dreamhunter duet to anyone who hasn't read them yet. Unflashy fantasy set in a sort of turn-of-the-century Nelson.

Finished Spider by William Taylor last night. Good NZ writing, more cheerful ending than usual. Next up is Gifts, Ursula LeGuin.

8. Post
    Short stories by Roald Dahl
    Vegrandis

9. Post
    Early One Morning by Robert Ryan is my current bog read. Chainfire by Terry Goodkind is the one I am trying to work my way through otherwise.

10. Post
    Originally posted by Limit0
    Book 2 of The Wheel Of Time.

Missed far too much reading it the first time =/
    You always find out more and more each time to reread this series.

Currently reading The Wayward Mind by Guy Claxton, The Art of War by Sun Tzu and The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton.

Also trying to get through Microsoft Visual C# .Net 2005 when I have the time...

11. Post
    Originally posted by Knifer X

Memory Sorrow and Thorn
    GaR = big MS&T fan. It's in my top 3 Fantasy epics of ever

Yesterday I read Myst: The Book of Atrus. Any pc geeks from the early-mid 90s will recognise that name. The book's quite good too, if a little short.

So yeah, I've finished the Penguin History of New Zealand, by Micheal King. It's a great read. Anyone who gives a **** about NZ should really give it a go.

12. Post
    I just bought the 'Memory Sorrow and Thorn' series off Trademe. Looking forward to reading it again. But I also bought 'The Book Of Words' series (by JV Jones) too, so I'm going to read that first as I've not read it in years.

They're both awesome series which, like A Song Of Ice And Fire, are as good when you read them over and over...

13. Post
    Originally posted by GaR

GaR = big MS&T fan. It's in my top 3 Fantasy epics of ever
    More info please?

Originally posted by GaR
    Yesterday I read Myst: The Book of Atrus. Any pc geeks from the early-mid 90s will recognise that name. The book's quite good too, if a little short.
    I liked that one too. That's when he makes up his own style of writing stuff instead of repeating what he's already seen, right?

Originally posted by Aviatora
    But I also bought 'The Book Of Words' series (by JV Jones) too, so I'm going to read that first as I've not read it in years.
    Ironic name, no? I thought the first one dragged a little, but after that they pick up and get really good. Have you read the next series after that - the one about the northern lands? (Can't remember what it's called.)

14. Post
    Lonely Planet Guide to Micronations.

Basically, some of the nutters that decided to declare their backyard a sovereign state.

15. Post
    [Q=bigMrT]
    More info please?
    [/Q]

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams.

1: The Dragonbone Chair
    2: The Stone of Farewell
    3: To Green Angel Tower

Volume three is two books: Siege and Storm.

It's seriously ****ing awesome. Only aSoIaF would I call better. My top three is rounded out by Lord of the Rings.

[Q=bigMrT]

I liked that one too. That's when he makes up his own style of writing stuff instead of repeating what he's already seen, right?[/Q]

Yeah, pretty much. It's an interesting read

[Q=bigMrT]
    Ironic name, no? I thought the first one dragged a little, but after that they pick up and get really good. Have you read the next series after that - the one about the northern lands? (Can't remember what it's called.) [/Q]

I've read that trilogy. I found it to be okaaay.... although the religion side of things was pretty ****ed up, if I recall correctly... was it the one with the ploughman-God, with the priests who say to each other "Furrow wide, furrow deep."? That **** cracked me up.

16. Post
    GaR wrote:
    I've read that trilogy. I found it to be okaaay.... although the religion side of things was pretty ****ed up, if I recall correctly... was it the one with the ploughman-God, with the priests who say to each other "Furrow wide, furrow deep."? That **** cracked me up.
    No, that's the Battleaxe trilogy. Which I really enjoyed. It was a little different, but I liked all the magical imagery my imagination conjured up from reading it. I also liked that the characters were (slightly predictably) flawed in real life ways. Ie: Axis loves good girl Faraday but then meets bad-ass Azhure who is so much hotter and so much cooler and flags the first one. Yeah, good stuff. WolfStar and StarDrifter are cool characters too.

The next trilogy ofter a book of words is called the Sword of Shadows. Starts with A Cavern of Black Ice, moves on to A Fortress of Grey Ice, and I don't know what the last one is called, but I'd like to read it. Quite a good series. Follows a kid by the name of Raif Sevrance and how he grows up in a tribe in the cold northern lands, but the southern cities are all vieing for power over the land and he has to be the hero, etc. You know that old yarn.

17. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams.

1: The Dragonbone Chair
    2: The Stone of Farewell
    3: To Green Angel Tower

Volume three is two books: Siege and Storm.

It's seriously ****ing awesome. Only aSoIaF would I call better. My top three is rounded out by Lord of the Rings.
    I have heard of this. I might go out and get it.

18. Post
    Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter, won the Pulitzer Prize in 1980.

19. Post
    Catfish and Mandela, - a good insight of Vietnamese refugees.
    Life of Pi - kinda drags out in the middle, but the ending kinda "hits" you
    And the rest of the Terry Goodkind series

now i'll just be reading boring uni text books

20. Post
    Generation of Swine by Hunter S. Thompson.

21. Post
    I just finished reading My Story by Schapelle Corby with Kathryn Bonella.

I prefer to read biographys I find them more interesting being the real thing.

22. Post
    Read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Biography with a little fiction (he's a wanted criminal so he can't tell the whole truth). About how he escapes to India from Australia to outrun the law and stuff. VERY good VERY powerful book. ***** 5 stars would read again etc...

23. Post
    I'm going through the Phillippa Gregory books (royal history novels).
    Very chic lit, but not too bad.
    I've read The Other Boleyn Girl, The Constant Princess, and am now onto The Virgin's Lover.

24. Post
    I know this much is True by Wally Lamb..............its 864pgs

25. Post
    Just finished Misspent Youth, by Peter F

Page 1 of 79 12341151 ... Last