1. Post
    I was having real problems with my Billion 7100 modem connecting to a Linksys WRT54GL running DDWRT where the PPP session in the modem kept dying.

All along i thought it was the Billion, i was cursing and ranting about how crap it was, the poor thing. Well it still sucks for P2P as it gets flooded quite quickly but not as much as i thought it did.

Turns out the problem was with DDWRT. I tried out Tomato firmware and its now running perfectly with the modem in half-bridge, no disconnects, all ports forwarded and steady as a rock

Im not sure what the problem in DDWRT was an im too noob to figure it out. Ill stick with Tomato, easy to use and navigate, I had it up and running within 15 mins, including download, update firmware and configuration. So its all good for me and Tomato rocks!! Just wish they can add the Zune theme to it looks kinda bland thats only other comment ill make about it.

2. Post
    Ive never heard any complaints about dd-wrt. Could you please tell me if tomato offers ipsec tunnels?

3. Post
    Tomato has no VPN shiz.

I've also found it a lot more stable than DD-WRT, which used to time out my IRC connections once every 6 hours.

4. Post
    Sorry i dont even know what the means

Check out the wiki maybe that will help you http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware

5. Post
    Originally posted by FRiO
    Tomato has no VPN shiz.

I've also found it a lot more stable than DD-WRT, which used to time out my IRC connections once every 6 hours.
    By "VPN shiz" do you mean termination or passthrough? I asked defiant to have a look and he said it only supports passthrough.

I use DD-WRT, and its been quite stable for me.

6. Post
    i use tomato because i don't require vpn so it's all good

besides you can always use hamachi as a vpn solution..

7. Post
    I'm not comfortable using 3rd party solutions (Or one that needs to be install to work) for VPN. Hence I never use hamachi.

8. Post
    I'd ditch my pfSense, but nothing else on my network can terminate PPTP / IPSec VPN. I'm sure its possible to get the WRT54G to terminate (HyperWRT + Racoon IPSec tools maybe?) but I bet it'd fall on its ass when load increases.

Being able to VPN in makes things so much easier (i.e. I can access the shares on my home computer in case I need something in a hurry.)

9. Post
    Originally posted by L@mer|2

By "VPN shiz" do you mean termination or passthrough? I asked defiant to have a look and he said it only supports passthrough.

I use DD-WRT, and its been quite stable for me.
    Has no termination or passthrough. By "VPN shiz" I mean anything at all.

10. Post
    Never had problems with my DD-WRT and my 5 year old adsl modem in PPP half-bridge mode. Have been using it for almost a year now.