1. Post
    Yeah he did - one of Rob's many stupid ideas.
    The best thing about these books for me was the North vs Lannister conflict!

2. Post
    What is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/r...k10/0575129530 and is this interrupted Winds of Winter?

3. Post
    Don't think so, Amazon says:

"Book Description
    An early novel from George R. R. Martin, author of A GAME OF THRONES "

I'd say he's cashing in on the AGOT's fame / tv show - and selling some of his olders books?

4. Post
    Melisandre scares the bejesus outta me

5. Post
    Rekal wrote:
    Melisandre scares the bejesus outta me
    Really? To me she comes across as one of the most "cliche" characters in the entire series the whole "mysterious priestess woman with the ear of the king" (or evil stepmother queen) has been done so many times

6. Post
    That type of character may be cliche, but you do Mr Martin a great disservice.

His characterisations of protagonist and antagonist alike are better than 90% of writers out there.

7. Post
    Rekal wrote:
    That type of character may be cliche, but you do Mr Martin a great disservice.

His characterisations of protagonist and antagonist alike are better than 90% of writers out there.
    The thing I like about his writing is the blurred line between both, noone is perfect, it makes escaping into his world more real for me

8. Post

9. Post
    jamz wrote:
    The thing I like about his writing is the blurred line between both, noone is perfect, it makes escaping into his world more real for me
    hes great at showing bias from the perspective of the person he is narrating through.

You get this with Jamie early on in the books as the POV are clearly biased against him, so he becomes an easily disliked character.
    Then later on you get some POV from Jamie, and all of a sudden he is your favorite.

10. Post
    A lotta haters up in here all of a sudden

A Storm of Swords [american version] arrived this morning from mighty ape

11. Post
    Willis wrote:
    hes great at showing bias from the perspective of the person he is narrating through.

You get this with Jamie early on in the books as the POV are clearly biased against him, so he becomes an easily disliked character.
    Then later on you get some POV from Jamie, and all of a sudden he is your favorite.
    I dont necessarily agree, Jaime's attitute and outlook changes with all stuff that happens to him. He IS a dick at the start, its not just the POV.

12. Post
    jamz wrote:
    I dont necessarily agree, Jaime's attitute and outlook changes with all stuff that happens to him. He IS a dick at the start, its not just the POV.
    Exactly, esp in regards to Brienne - he starts to realise she is a person like him, although it takes him having a hand chopped off. Which then moves him to think that he is like her and that they are both 'defective.' (she's fugly, too manly and not feminine)

13. Post
    purplez wrote:
    Exactly...
    doh! Spoiler alert

14. Post
    jamz wrote:
    Jaime's attitude is about the same the whole way through, it's the information you are given that changes your perception of him.

15. Post
    werewolves? wrote:
    Jaime's attitude is about the same the whole way through
    This
    Jamie is Jamie. Once you get to see how his mind ticks you realise there isnt any malice in what he does. His simplistic outlook on everything and lack of self pity is what made me like him so much.

16. Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire = Jon Targaryen, "The Prince that was Promised"

http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays...s_parents.html

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Azor_Ahai

It's not really a spoiler because almost all the clues are in the first book. Sorry if this has been posted before, I just thought it was an awesome well researched essay.

17. Post
    Yeah it's pretty blatant, the Lyanna/Rhaegar **** was obvious and GRRM ain't too subtle.

18. Post
    Gives me a reason to read the first book again and pay more attention to all the stuff I thought was boring because I didn't know what was going on.

19. Post
    So is Bran the only one who even realises what he is by the end of it? All the Stark kids plus Snow were skinchangers, right?

20. Post
    ISavant wrote:
    So is Bran the only one who even realises what he is by the end of it? All the Stark kids plus Snow were skinchangers, right?
    Pretty much. Well, Jon knows, as I recall.

As for the others being wargs, I suspect so, but it's hard to say. Arya is, come to think of it. No doubt they all had the ability, but would Sansa ever have done anything with it?

21. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Pretty much. Well, Jon knows, as I recall.

As for the others being wargs, I suspect so, but it's hard to say. Arya is, come to think of it. No doubt they all had the ability, but would Sansa ever have done anything with it?
    Turned into a unicorn and frolicked?

22. Post
    Stands to reason.

23. Post
    They (Jon, Bran, Arya) all have dreams where they're wolves, though Jon and Arya don't think of themselves as skinchangers, I don't think they understand the significance.

24. Post
    Pretty sure Jon knows. What with dealing with Varamir and the pig dude. Also, people calling him a warg whenever he turns around.

Spoiler:
    or at least, he'd have some idea if he hadn't gotten the old "et tu, Bowen?"

25. Post
    Whats currently the best deal or the best place to buy all of the books from so I can get into reading this series?

I found this: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Game.../9780007477159

But it seems to be out of stock