Page 1 of 14 123411 ... Last

1. Post
    Scanned screenshots. A squad-based FPS by veteran developer Gearbox. Looks very promising, it's reportedly set in the aftermath of the Cameron film. A squad-based FPS by veteran developer Gearbox. Tentatively dated for 2009 for PC and the HD consoles. (sauce)

A friend let me borrow his copy of Game Informer, and the cover article was about Aliens: Colonial Marines, which is being developed by Gearbox. It's set on the Sulaco, where a team of Marines have boarded to investigate after Ripley, Newt, Hicks and Bishop got ejected. While staying close to the original movies, they do seem to be adding new things- for example, the Alien from the first film returns as a scout and overall sneaky bastard, while the xenomorph from Aliens is the ubiquitous warrior type.
    sauce

Yes, they're using the title of the cancelled PS2 FPS from a few years ago.

2. Post
    Awesome! Aliens was the best!

3. Post
    Mean! I hope it has a good co-op mode if its going to be a squad-based game

4. Post
    Hot ****. AvP1 was still one of the best gaming experiences I remember - playing it on a lappy, midnight, lights out, headphones cranked - stalking around the LV4-26 colony in the rain, motion tracker blipping away... then OH SHI... movement! Remember - short, controlled bursts.. It was actually the only time I've felt frightened in a game.

Its a sure bet anything with Aliens will contain some intense atomosphere. Hell, even my old C64 FPS of Aliens was pretty decent.

lol.. maybe not..

5. Post
    This is excellent news!
    I loved playing the Alien vs Predator FPS's.

Although the single player sections [in both games] were lacking, it made it up with the MP alone.

Can't wait.

6. Post
    Skaffen_Amtiskaw wrote:
    Hot ****. AvP1 was still one of the best gaming experiences I remember - playing it on a lappy, midnight, lights out, headphones cranked - stalking around the LV4-26 colony in the rain, motion tracker blipping away... then OH SHI... movement! Remember - short, controlled bursts.. It was actually the only time I've felt frightened in a game.

Its a sure bet anything with Aliens will contain some intense atomosphere. Hell, even my old C64 FPS of Aliens was pretty decent.

lol.. maybe not..
    haha, i remember that game.. i throughly sucked at it

7. Post
    Cloaker wrote:
    haha, i remember that game.. i throughly sucked at it
    I enjoy'd both 1 and 2. Although 1 was buggy MP and 2 the made the aliens too slow.

Was excellent fun. One of the only games I actually felt like what I playing as. The sounds and everything to do with the predator was just so immersive. The game needed a little bit more spit and polish and I'd love to see a new AVP game with todays engines.

This sounds good but without the predator it won't be as good.

8. Post
    I loved the AvP2 single player campaign, absolutely fantastic!

Multiplayer was a bit unbalanced though.

I noticed each of the races appeared to be strong against one of the others, and weak against the other.

I forget the order... but it was something like alien strong against predator, predator strong against human, human strong against alien. Something like that anyway.

9. Post
    That C64 game...was it possible to finish it?

In any case, more Aliens games please. They could've done so much on AVP3 with this round of engines....

Honestly, I don't see why they don't - someone obviously raised enough capital to fund those ****ty movies that have come out.

Agreed Mettler, AVP2 was one of my fav FPS of all time. I really enjoyed running around as the Alien biting peoples heads off. Didn't play much of the MP though, seemed a bit tame. Truth be told, I actually thought the Colonial Marine part of both games was the weakest part.

10. Post
    Mettler wrote:

Multiplayer was a bit unbalanced though.

I noticed each of the races appeared to be strong against one of the others, and weak against the other.

I forget the order... but it was something like alien strong against predator, predator strong against human, human strong against alien. Something like that anyway.
    Heh not really. It went like this. Predator = the ****ing one man army that can **** any **** up and heal back to full afterwards, humans didn't stand a chance. Aliens had a slight chance if they got in close or took him by suprise. Small enclosed levels were hard on preds although that made the stunning gun easy to use vs aliens.

Aliens generally ****ed up marines too. But if you knew where they were coming from or whatever you could usually take them out.

The best mode was the survival mode or whatever where everyone starts as a marine and the first marine to die respawns as an alien. Then the marines work as a team to try and hold off the alien, and each marine killed becomes an alien. ****ING fun. Another fun mode was called Hunter where you were the predator and everyone else marines. Whoever killed the predator became the predator.

In all the multiplayer we played generally we never played the modes that included predators. Because the predator was pretty complex not everyone was good at him and someone always ended up owning up.

The bigger team deathmatch games the pred was a little more balanced because having to switch back and forth between marine and alien mode made him vunerable, but if you just ignored the modes and just ran around like a marine you were still twice and good as a marine.

AVP1 was similar. Except the aliens were better cause they were faster. The marines were crap. Only problem with AVP1 was the disc weapon pretty much ment guarenteed kill.

Compand = win.

11. Post
    I approve of this greatly.

12. Post
    Wally Simmonds wrote:
    Dunno.. I spilt chocolate yoghurt all over the disk and it never played again

13. Post
    Wally Simmonds wrote:
    not as far as i could tell, would always end up getting eaten.

AVP1/2 were both great games... pretty decent immersion, esp. playing as an alien.

14. Post
    Cloaker wrote:
    not as far as i could tell, would always end up getting eaten.

AVP1/2 were both great games... pretty decent immersion, esp. playing as an alien.
    I found even getting headshots only, I always ran out of ammo and didn't know what to do next... walkthrough anyone?

15. Post
    How about..... AVP3? Keen!

16. Post
    Mettler wrote:
    Yeah, true that. There hasn't really been anything like it since.

17. Post
    Agreed. It was badass!

18. Post
    Awesome! Screenshots seem pretty bull**** but that's expected. AvP3 next please

19. Post
    shouldnt lv-426 be a nuked wasteland :P

20. Post
    Read the article, it's set on the Sulaco

21. Post
    +1 to AVP3

AVP2 was the ****. In fact, I might reinstall it at the next lan. I remember multiplayer mode, after enough kills or something you could morph into the Alien Queen, ****ing huge-ass mother****er!

22. Post
    Wally Simmonds wrote:
    Read the article, it's set on the Sulaco
    ahh, was just going from the original post, which has been edited...

23. Post
    some NEW ****ty taken screenshots @ pax

via this link

At least we know that Gearbox isnt concerning themself too much with Duke but branching their workload!

24. Post
    Skaffen_Amtiskaw wrote:

lol.. maybe not..
    And back in those days there was the occasional game on C64 that was made and released by diff devs in different continents. Aliens was one of them.

Activision version

Electric Dreams version

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... Last