1. Post
    random newbie question : how are rx7's good on performance with 1300cc engines?

2. Post

3. Post
    well well well. i'm starting to wonder if it's worth spending more money on my V8. It seems 1-UZ's don't like getting hot.

I wonder how i'm supposed to tell which bank the blown head gasket is on if there's no visible difference in the spark plug colours...?

And I'm thinking that if i've got no money to spend on it, how the **** am i going to fix it this time?

only time will tell

I'm thinking i should probably park it until i get my life sorted out a bit better. I'm currently up to my eyeballs in a corolla engine swap (carby to injected), and all the wiring loom dicking around that goes with it, not to mention my car trailer needing a fair wad of $$$$ spent on it to sort the brakes and hubs, my suzuki still being a pile of bits in the shed, and now the damn head gasket going.

Add to that i'm looking at setting up a service workshop and i'm currently unemployed, it seems it's not the best time to be playing cars.

I can't be ****ed with this **** anymore.

4. Post
    When my flatmate's VK crapped a head gasket at track day, he just changed both. Seems to be the thing to do.

5. Post
    yeah, any other time i would, but this time round i don't have the money to go replacing head bolts as well

TTY. So only buying one set would be nice.

In all reality, i can't see myself doing it any time soon. there's too much other **** to sort out first. I'm seriously considering parking it and doing the rest of the conversion properly - exhaust, wiring etc, plus add a supercharger, fix the leaking back diff seals, add a LSD, and make some decent bullbars for it

If i do the supercharger, i'll be replacing the head bolts with studs anyway, more for my own peace of mind than chasing high boost.

Anyone know a ballpark figure for a commodore V6 supercharger these days? the 4wd guys i've talked to tell me this is about the closest secondhand one i'll find to suit a stock engine.

6. Post
    I don't think replacing the head bolts is quite as important as advertised.

Though you should get an opinion who knows more about 1UZs than I do

In other news, I'd say that finding a Commie supercharger that's not attached to an engine might be difficult.

7. Post
    don't tell me that

I wonder if a 14-71 will fit....?

(despite the little fact of needing a 454 to turn the bloody thing...)

8. Post
    random newbie question :

will revving your turbo engine in neutral allow the turbo to kick in and make that hiss noise?

cheers

9. Post
    Yes, but it won't be as pronounced. You need a bit of load on the engine for the big hiss.

10. Post
    yes

11. Post
    yup.

assuming you've got a wank valve fitted, of course.
    \

12. Post
    Greek wrote:
    Yeah mean, I have one. Fitted it before my AFM and it's given a 74HP rise.
    U SRS?

13. Post
    why are they called wank valves? i thought they were useful :O

14. Post
    ive decided another thing that ****s me off about people who modify cars, people assuming that replacing your suspension with adjustable coilovers is the one stop solution for all a cars handling needs, its bull****, sure they make a big difference but theyre not the be all and end all

i dont give a flying rats ass if your mates got an s13 and all he's done is coilovers and it handles mean, i gaurantee you mine would outhandle it without the coilovers.

people these days seem to neglect the fact that theres a million other things on a car suspension geometry wise that can make the same if not more difference and actually make the car handle better rather than just vibrate your vertebrae into thinking you have better handling, people seem to have forgotten replacing sway bars can make 5 times the difference suspension can to a cars handling, then theres toe arms and castor arms, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

/rant end

15. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    ive decided another thing that ****s me off about people who modify cars, people assuming that replacing your suspension with adjustable coilovers is the one stop solution for all a cars handling needs, its bull****, sure they make a big difference but theyre not the be all and end all

i dont give a flying rats ass if your mates got an s13 and all he's done is coilovers and it handles mean, i gaurantee you mine would outhandle it without the coilovers.

people these days seem to neglect the fact that theres a million other things on a car suspension geometry wise that can make the same if not more difference and actually make the car handle better rather than just vibrate your vertebrae into thinking you have better handling, people seem to have forgotten replacing sway bars can make 5 times the difference suspension can to a cars handling, then theres toe arms and castor arms, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

/rant end
    -3.0 degrees of negative camber gives you mean handling bae.

That reminds me, I need to soften my car's rear.

oh and reminder no.2: wtb whiteline sway bars.

16. Post
    ^ So true, they some engine mods & make some decent power, then go and put kyb shocks + super low king springs or some ****ty coilovers on etc.

17. Post
    whiteline sway bars = ++++ handling, factory s13 rear sway bar is as thick as the average little finger and hollow, replace with whiline one, 28mm and solid, holy poop on a stick the difference that makes is insane, then the same thing on the front and both with full adjustable ends makes for happy handling number one, then all that needs to be done is bushes here and that and some castor/toe arms

18. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    whiteline sway bars = ++++ handling, factory s13 rear sway bar is as thick as the average little finger and hollow, replace with whiline one, 28mm and solid, holy poop on a stick the difference that makes is insane, then the same thing on the front and both with full adjustable ends makes for happy handling number one, then all that needs to be done is bushes here and that and some castor/toe arms

Yeah but the suspension companies prefer selling $2000 coilover setups over $300 bar kits so that is what gets pushed.

The only reason for adjustable coilovers on a saloon/sports car IHMO is for a car that will be doing events on differing surfaces. A pure race car is better with a fixed height and adjustable aero for clearance. Single Seaters of course have adjustable heights and they need it.

The other thing a lot of people forget is that is you do adjust the ride height you better redo the alignment as it will have changed.

19. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:

/rant end
    ^^^ Post of the week year

Oh, and also the common myth that people have that "lower handles better" is rubbish. You've also got to optimise your ride height for bump travel, rebound travel, arm angles, rollcentre, camber etc. Just dropping your car on its ass will more often than not make it handle like soap.

20. Post
    (BT)MikeMan wrote:
    The other thing a lot of people forget is that is you do adjust the ride height
    I lol at the fools who get their car certified for coilovers, then wind the suspension as low as it will go, **** their settings and in the process put themselves out of the 5% adjustment threshold, resulting in a nice pink badge on their windscreen courtesy of the nz police.

Then they go and have a qq about how they are "picked on".

****s sake, imo.

*edit*

Oh and the best thing about sway bars, they do not require a cert providing they mount using the factory holes/location.

21. Post
    is 100mm still the "standard" for how low it can be ?

22. Post
    Yep, 100mm for any chassis, steering or suspension component. Coilovers require a cert regardless of height.

23. Post
    Tadz wrote:
    Coilovers require a cert regardless of height.
    Unless they're OEM.... I've got "coilovers" (if you want to call them that) and I don't need no cert

24. Post
    Eagle wrote:
    ^ So true, they some engine mods & make some decent power, then go and put kyb shocks + super low king springs or some ****ty coilovers on etc.
    And? I have engine mods and decent power in my R32, and use KYB shocks (revalved in the front) and King springs (don't think they were super low, camber is still ok). Along with the GTR front sway bar, underbody bracing and locked HICAS rack I think it handles rather well.

25. Post
    yea personally i dont have any beef with KYB shocks, or king springs, in fact im using kyb shocks in the sil80 currently and it seemed to handle perfectly fine on the track on sunday, my gripe is with people neglecting the **** around the shocks like sway bars and other bushings etc