1. Post
    4wd wrote:
    anyone got any ideas why my bloody corolla's got a near constant surging at low to mid throttle? goes away when i cane the tits off it, but honestly, i can't afford the fuel bill from running it to and from work at 7500rpm.

seems to be fuel not spark, but running it with the choke on or off doesn't make any difference. seems to be running on 3 half the time too.

Maybe i've got two problems...

any ideas? I never got the hang of carbies during my apprenticeship
    2e? almost every 2e carby in existence is shagged.

2. Post
    ^ crap. i really wish you hadn't told me that.

3. Post
    2e's can take anything you throw at them in my experience. **** I wouldn't be surprised if it ran on diesel.

4. Post
    i know for a fact it won't run on air. took me nearly 3 hrs to walk home, without seeing a single car, at 1am on sunday morning 2 weeks ago.

but yeah, without a rev counter it's pretty much strop it till it stops.

I had a bloody good run out of my first 2e corolla, bought for $500, got reparation thru the courts for $800 after some **** kicked the doors in, then crashed it into a camry, and still ended up selling it after 4 years for a profit

In between it got the better part of 1500km of offroad use. 2 years worth of hooning round the farm

5. Post
    I really don't want to do any work today. Have to do a cambelt, waterpump and service on the old lady's RAV4.

There's sod all room in the front of one of those, what with the engine low and back and the ABS unit thoughtfully mounted right above the RHS engine mount :mad:

It's just like a front engined MR2 (...almost)

6. Post
    Fex wrote:
    My clutch smells bad
    so does my one in my 944 My clutch is 22 yrs old. it has a rubber centre and they're notorious for the rubber deteriorating and falling to bits before the clutch wears out and this is what happened on Labour weekend I haven't driven it since as its on the 'get-home-tabs' which makes it driveable but very noisy engagement and power comes on with a real thump. Plus I don't know how long I can drive on those tabs, so I don't.

The rubber centred clutches have long been superceeded by a sachs spring centred clutch.

The place i used to get my new parts from which is generally the cheapest for new porsche parts in NZ quoted me $950.00 + GST for a new clutch disc!!!

A place I go to in the US quotes NZ$504 for a clutch disc. Our $ is so **** right now. I knew the clutch would be a job i may need to do in my first year of ownership when i got the car in March. If I bought then, I would have saved myself another $130.00!

[edit] on top of that, changing the clutch is a whole day. have to disconnect the half shafts, disconnect the shift mechanism, disconnect the bell housing, drop the transaxle and torque tube- do the clutch and then reassemble

For the ones that don't know, car goes: engine, clutch/bellhousing, torque tube, transaxle. The torque tube is full of bearings and spines at engine speed. this is an example of a fabricated light weight one:

7. Post
    ...and that's why you don't own a porsche

i take it the shift mechanism runs outside the torque tube? Is it cables or linkages?

8. Post
    linkages with a guide rod on top of the tube. In the pic the bellhousing is laying on the ground and would go on the closer end of the tube. the inspection hole is visible.

on the transaxle end, the g/b inspection hole is on the bottom. On mine I couldn't find any blown rubber in the bellhousing end so I went to the transaxle end and I could turn the torque tube in neutral which is the other giveaway that the rubber centre is gone

9. Post
    Anyone care to school me on carby diagnosis?

I've fixed half the problem - had a vacuum leak on one of the pipes. But it still misses and backfires out the carb. There's always a surge and stutter, no matter what revs it's at, and it's from light loads upwards.

To my understanding, if the timing's all spot on, there should be no way it can backfire, right?

Or is there any way it can, given that the timing's all right (valve and spark advance/retard)

Cheers

10. Post
    dont knw if this will interest anybody, but i found this MR2. closes in a few hrs. had a look at it earlier today and im not going to bid on it cause i have no idea if the engine will go. its got some rust in places, paint job is shot, been sitting for a while, but interior is mint (apart from the ****ty white paint)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=187037392

11. Post
    The_Dude wrote:
    dont knw if this will interest anybody, but i found this MR2. closes in a few hrs. had a look at it earlier today and im not going to bid on it cause i have no idea if the engine will go. its got some rust in places, paint job is shot, been sitting for a while, but interior is mint (apart from the ****ty white paint)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=187037392
    LOL at the grass growing out of the engine bay vents

Poor thing, save it.

12. Post
    if i knew more about it , i would. i dont want to buy something that i cant get going :P

on a different note. a 1990 twin turbo 300ZX . any opinions? good/ bad? value? ease of upgrades? quick/slow?

13. Post
    LOL there is too!, somebody got a good deal for $570

14. Post
    4wd wrote:
    Anyone care to school me on carby diagnosis?

I've fixed half the problem - had a vacuum leak on one of the pipes. But it still misses and backfires out the carb. There's always a surge and stutter, no matter what revs it's at, and it's from light loads upwards.

To my understanding, if the timing's all spot on, there should be no way it can backfire, right?

Or is there any way it can, given that the timing's all right (valve and spark advance/retard)

Cheers
    it hit me

spark plug leads.

do it, you will see.

15. Post
    $571. F**k, someone just got a awesome deal.

16. Post
    If there's one thing i've learned from this weekend, it's never offer to do a cambelt and water pump on a RAV4 with ABS. Honestly, this is worse than a MR2, at least with a MR2 you expect it to be a ****. Started working on it at 1pm today, had to stop for 3 hours to let the ****ing battery charge up (drained it trying to crack the crank pulley bolt off), then been working solid on it since 5pm. And i'm still only halfway thru the bloody thing

This is almost as bad as taking the starter off a GTiR Pulsar.

Nirt wrote:
    it hit me

spark plug leads.

do it, you will see.

cheers. will try on friday (after payday )

17. Post
    The_Dude wrote:
    on a different note. a 1990 twin turbo 300ZX . any opinions? good/ bad? value? ease of upgrades? quick/slow?
    *Baffa Signal!*

Also: http://www.300zxclub.com/

18. Post
    thanks tadz. having a look and waiting for a reply for baffa now :P no one else have any opinions?

i had a look at that MR2. the grass was growing right thru the engine bay. no oil in engine , minor visible rust and god knows what else. maybe they didnt get a bargain. maybe they got a headache. :P

19. Post
    speaking of MR2s, can any AW11 SC owners give me a rough indication on fuel economy, kms per litre, that sort of thing?

20. Post
    Latest topgear (through youtube/dailymotion etc.) they go to america and test out some american muscle

Jezza drives a corvette zr1
    Captain slow drives a 500+hp cadilac ctsv
    and since chrysler didnt want to let top gear "test" one of their cars hammond has to BUY a dodge challenger for US$51,000.

Ep2 of season12.

21. Post
    I'm never working on this bloody RAV4 ever again.

I've had to butcher one of my sockets, plus lost about 2 feet of skin and a few litres of blood trying to get it all back together. I guess Lockwood Smith was right about japs having tiny hands. If i ever meet the cockpilot that engineered this car, i'm going to rip his hands off and shove them up his arse.

And I still haven't even finished the damn thing. These late nights are proving to be a prick for work the next day....

22. Post
    Orion wrote:
    speaking of MR2s, can any AW11 SC owners give me a rough indication on fuel economy, kms per litre, that sort of thing?
    Me around town was 9-12l/100km (I tend to give it a bootfull now and then tho). Probably a bit less on the Highways.

23. Post
    ElusiveQuinox wrote:
    Latest topgear (through youtube/dailymotion etc.) they go to america and test out some american muscle

Jezza drives a corvette zr1
    Captain slow drives a 500+hp cadilac ctsv
    and since chrysler didnt want to let top gear "test" one of their cars hammond has to BUY a dodge challenger for US$51,000.

Ep2 of season12.
    Word to the wise: www.finalgear.com for all your Top Gear needs.

24. Post
    4wd wrote:
    I'm never working on this bloody RAV4 ever again.
    Bahaha.

Yeah, I'll be pretty happy to never work on a transverse engine toyota ever again.

With MR2 even getting the cambelt covers off, need to drop the motor/gbox out.

After dropping the whole bloody thing out 6 or 7 times already, I'd had enough.

I dont think I ever want to own (and therefore work on) anything except for 70s/80s RWD cars.

You can swing a KP starlet gearbox around your head, and change one in what... an hour or 2? Rather than a week long bloody slog for transverse engined POS's.

25. Post
    Was just watching that video in DAXtER's project thread what is the little switch he keeps flicking to the right of the shifter?