1. Post
    If you see a late model corolla waiting at a set of lights with 2+ lanes NEVER EVER go behind it, even if the lane next to it has more cars it's a better option.

Regardless if the driver is a old granny or a youngish male that corolla will accelerate at a painfully slow rate and hold up all the traffic behind it.

*edit*

Oh and I saw a Lexus IS-F this morning on the way to work, do like.

2. Post
    ARGZ i splt my front lip on my car in the weekend

god damn soft gravel roads - was driving at 30kmh and the road just fell to bits under the car and it became a snow plough

im gonna have fun trying to find a place that can fix it in a timley fashion at this time of year

3. Post
    Protip: Stay the **** off the roads in Taupo during the cycle race.

We were there with a mate who was competing, and went partway round the course to give him new drink bottles, and enjoy the sights.

So many bikes and cars and trucks would sit on the wrong side of the road and over take in stupid places and basically some of the worst driving I have ever seen. Not cool when you're the one driving, flashing lights and beeping horns and they dont move. I had to swerve off the road in a couple of cases. I got angry enough to swerve at them to give them the hint. Other than that, ****ing fantastic wknd. Girls in lycra = mmmmm

4. Post
    baffa wrote:
    Protip: Stay the **** off the roads in Taupo during the cycle race.

We were there with a mate who was competing, and went partway round the course to give him new drink bottles, and enjoy the sights.
    Guess you didn't see the request by the organizers for no 'support' vehicles.

Have to agree tho, I did the last leg & saw lots of brain explosions from both the cyclists taking part & motorists, was sure I'd see some serious accidents before I finished.

5. Post
    A support vehicle is a car that follows a cyclist round the course. We went the opposite way around the track (facing the cyclists), and parked up roughly halfway so my mate could throw his drink bottles out and grab two fresh ones from us. We figured it would be easier to drive against the grain rather than being stuck in the cycle traffic, hence why we were spitting tacks at the idiots overtaking n ****.

6. Post
    baffa, having both lived in taupo, and done the cycle challenge a couple of times, i've got two things to say to you...

1: No support vehicles. that means no vehicles to do with the race that arent marshals and officials. There's (IIRC) four drink stops around the course.

2: The public notices for at least a month in advance all say "avoid unessescary travel". Also, some parts of the road are closed. Poihipi Rd is a good example.

face it, you shouldn't have been going there.

the second year i did the race, a woman decided to do support for her husband, i'd just got to the relay changeover and heard a screech behind me. Silly bitch had cut off a bunch of 40-odd bikes that were doing about 60km/h.

If it wasn't for the police officer standing at the gate, i reckon the cyclists would've killed her, or at least come bloody close. As it was, she put 5 people out of the race.

But yeah, when i wasn't in the race i always found an excuse to get the hell out of town. Trip to HB for the weekend to see the mates worked well. The town's really too small for the amount of people that descend on it every year.

7. Post
    I drove along a Red EG civic hatch today, with some asian guy in it.
    Then I saw the 'Night Kids' sticker on the side window.

I hadn't laughed so hard in ages

8. Post
    fUrBuRgEr wrote:
    anyone got any idea of cost to do a cv joint on a 2000 impreza?
    ?

9. Post
    Black Evo X sighting on the way to work a couple of months back. Won't forget the day.

10. Post
    4wd wrote:
    baffa, having both lived in taupo, and done the cycle challenge a couple of times, i've got two things to say to you...
    I wanted sympathy, not a telling off you bastard guy!

Regardless we didnt hold anyone up or cause any inconveniece.
    It was worth the hassle though, ended up hooking up with a chick in the tent we were camping in.
    Only problem was it turned out most of the tent was still awake, including her sister

11. Post
    4wd wrote:
    About my corolla, again...

I've done the plug leads (you owe me $60, Nirt ), and used most of a can of carb clean on it, without fixing the problem. I also cleaned the corrosion buildup from the points, cap, and rotor.

Still no better.

After going through 5 mins of random huge munty backfires on the way home, a thought's come to me...

Could it just be overfuelling to ****? It would explain why pulling the choke makes no difference, and the big flaming backfires out the exhaust.

Or should i still be looking at ignition? I really cbf replacing the cap and rotor as it's another $60.
    Ahaha I get leads for way less than that :P

Strange because I recall someone had a corolla with the same symptoms, and spent days and dollars to find the problem, at the end of it all it was the damned leads.

You did say originally that you had tried different fuels right? Gull fuel is ass btw.

It could be something in the carb overfueling it... like the choke stuck on or the float valve jammed?

12. Post
    Dision wrote:
    Black Evo X sighting on the way to work a couple of months back. Won't forget the day.
    Auckland cbd/quay st?

Seen a black one driving along there, tbh they're not that crap looking irl.

13. Post
    4wd wrote:
    But yeah, when i wasn't in the race i always found an excuse to get the hell out of town. Trip to HB for the weekend to see the mates worked well. The town's really too small for the amount of people that descend on it every year.
    Those sorts of events are what enables taupo to have the population base it does though?
    Aside from a lake (granted its impressive) theres f**k all else to do in the region aside from hospitality / tourism.
    I imagine a lot of business's depend on the temporary overpopulation spurts throughout the year ^_^

I head up for the A1GP every year and its packed to the hilt then too.
    The council does well to co-ordinate events, A1GP you never really get stuck in traffic queues for very long at all (even on the sunday after the last A1 race)

/random/ I had to drive an automatic, diesel, estima-van around taupo with three kids in it one year of the cycle race, and it sucked.
    Had only just got my full and didn't know my way around as it was, let alone trying to deal with said van + traffic.
    Good money though, parents were both doing the cycle race so I went on holiday with them to babysit... loaded me up with heaps of cash to buy them food etc and left us to it

ps - only reason I was doing babysitting for them was because there was three boys... and they made some young girl babysitter cry, was sweet - i just played N64 with them, sent them to bed then carried on playing

aaaaannnndddddd ... end novel

14. Post
    a diesel estima eh?
    sure buddy sure

15. Post
    ??? are you trying to imply they dont exist ? the previa/estima's came in a 2.2 turbo diesel version

16. Post
    Tadz wrote:
    Auckland cbd/quay st?
    Murphy St turnoff, SH2 southbound into Welly

17. Post
    close though :P

18. Post
    Deerism wrote:
    Aside from a lake (granted its impressive) theres f**k all else to do in the region aside from hospitality / tourism.
    They do have extensive electricity veins that are constantly being mined for juicy power.

19. Post
    Oh yeah there is that Gar... still, you get my (long and convoluted) point though

St4lk3r wrote:
    ??? are you trying to imply they dont exist ? the previa/estima's came in a 2.2 turbo diesel version
    Now that I think about it (10 years ago!) it might have been something like a 2.4 petrol? (buggered if i actually remember)

Had driven 15 or 20 different cars by that stage of my life but never an auto (except for an old trumpy paddock-basher we had, briefly)
    .. I remember driving from kinlock(?) into taupo and back a couple times wondering why it was doing 4000rpm at 100k (overdrive )

20. Post
    estimas: 2C-T, and 3C-T. both hand grenades. never ever touch one.

Deerism: you'd be surprised just how much of a non-event the cycle challenge is to locals these days. Most people choose to sleep in or just avoid the centre of town. It's pretty much back to normal by lunchtime, bar the traffic on the lakefront.

Apart from the major events and the giant puddle, it's pretty much just like any other large NZ town. there's the usual compliment of workshops etc. Keep in mind it's also the closest town for a large rural area too. Plenty of dairy farms out Reporoa ways.

If i didn't owe certain people money i'd still be living there. It's Kinloch btw

Nirt: I've worked out a way to fix it. my mate's giving me a front cut of an EP71 Starlet with an injected 2E for $80

Nice easy project for xmas

21. Post
    Supercharged Estima for the win.

22. Post
    The latest topgear is lolwut, they test out boats lol.

23. Post
    4wd wrote:
    estimas: 2C-T, and 3C-T. both hand grenades. never ever touch one.

Deerism: you'd be surprised just how much of a non-event the cycle challenge is to locals these days. Most people choose to sleep in or just avoid the centre of town. It's pretty much back to normal by lunchtime, bar the traffic on the lakefront.

Agreed on the Estimas, I used to work on a car yard, and the amount of ****ed diesel Estimas was impressive.

Btw The cycle race is pretty damn big. I'm sure the locals ignore it as best they can, but the entire wknd, all of Taupo is packed. Tis annoying when you wanna go to your fav cafe.

24. Post
    or when you try and do your grocery shopping at woollies on the friday arvo. bad idea, i stood in line for nearly 45mins.

Seems they sold out of bottled water, pick n mix lollies, and leppin gel squeeze things.

didn't worry me too much. I looked kinda out of place with my work overalls on, pushing a trolley full of pies and beer.

25. Post
    Why do white guys in NZPC magazine allways pull a "westside" when getting photographed?

Surely there is a reason beyond the simple fact that they are douchebags?