1. Post
    Zerone wrote:
    Seek Learning. self paced..guaranteed pass in two tries or they give your money back (even if you're the idiot who didn't study).
    I rang these guys as well. Their call center is in Australia. Quoted me $5000 + G.S.T for MCSE 2003 alone. All online and you get 2 years to study the stuff. Problem was again it was self study.

2. Post
    yea I dealt with seek as well. didnt sound that good to me

3. Post
    2 years for full time MCSE? Lol

4. Post
    Wally Simmonds wrote:
    2 years for full time MCSE? Lol
    They just give you online access with study material for 2 years regardless of how long you actually take to do the cert. Also the $5000 + G.S.T excludes the exam fees.

NZ $205 * 8 exams for MCSE Messaging = $1640 + $300 worth of gas from Hamilton to Auckland Test center + $5500 = Rip off from Seek Learning

5. Post
    isn't there a testing center in hamilton ACE training or something. I did windows 2000 professional course/exam a few moons ago.

6. Post
    Install linux ... build your own ghetto isp in home, its mint practice.

7. Post
    Tbh, I think you're far better off getting a job working in outsourcing as a helpdesk pleb for a bit and picking off some tips and **** from some of the senior techs.

8. Post
    john.sanders wrote:
    They just give you online access with study material for 2 years regardless of how long you actually take to do the cert. Also the $5000 + G.S.T excludes the exam fees.

NZ $205 * 8 exams for MCSE Messaging = $1640 + $300 worth of gas from Hamilton to Auckland Test center + $5500 = Rip off from Seek Learning
    1) MSCE is a retired qualification - MCITP is what you should be studying for.
    2) There is a prometric test center in Hamilton, so why would you drive to Auckland to do your exams.

9. Post
    unclearthur wrote:
    1) MSCE is a retired qualification - MCITP is what you should be studying for.
    2) There is a prometric test center in Hamilton, so why would you drive to Auckland to do your exams.
    1. MCSE 2003 is not yet retired and I would not even bother with MCITP 2008 Server yet. Majority and I mean a good majority is still using Windows Server 2003 and will continue to do so for years to come.

2. Which one? I remember searching prometric website few months ago and the nearest one it showed me was in Auckland or Tauranga.

10. Post
    john.sanders wrote:
    1. MCSE 2003 is not yet retired and I would not even bother with MCITP 2008 Server yet. Majority and I mean a good majority is still using Windows Server 2003 and will continue to do so for years to come.

2. Which one? I remember searching prometric website few months ago and the nearest one it showed me was in Auckland or Tauranga.

Yeah, but thats just it.....2003 is existing and in place, all of my new installations (ie all the interesting work) I'm doing now are 2008. Lets not forget that 2008 R2 is in Beta 1 now also.
    I know that MCSE is not 'technically' retired, but lets face it....in practice it's pretty near end of life, so why would you study for it.
    That's like paying for a passport and asking them to make it expire in a few months, your value for effort will demish quicker than these damn qualifications do on their own anyway.
    I'm currently studying for 70-642 towards my mcitp, doing it self study and it's not as easy as I had expected to be honest.

Re: test center in Hamilton, from the prometric website:
    ABS BUSINESS SCHOOL(NTSC)LTD T/A QUALITY EDU-HAMILTON
    Hamilton, 3216
    Phone: 8560193 Site Code: nz37
    44 Peachgrove Rd

11. Post
    unclearthur wrote:
    Yeah, but thats just it.....2003 is existing and in place, all of my new installations (ie all the interesting work) I'm doing now are 2008. Lets not forget that 2008 R2 is in Beta 1 now also.
    I know that MCSE is not 'technically' retired, but lets face it....in practice it's pretty near end of life, so why would you study for it.
    That's like paying for a passport and asking them to make it expire in a few months, your value for effort will demish quicker than these damn qualifications do on their own anyway.
    I'm currently studying for 70-642 towards my mcitp, doing it self study and it's not as easy as I had expected to be honest.

Re: test center in Hamilton, from the prometric website:
    ABS BUSINESS SCHOOL(NTSC)LTD T/A QUALITY EDU-HAMILTON
    Hamilton, 3216
    44 Peachgrove Rd
    I still don't agree with the MCITP part but that's just my opinion. I only have to do 70-649, 70-620, 70-647 to upgrade from MCSE 2003 to MCITP Enterprise Admin. Now that my concepts are clear, I will also try and do this with self study when needing it. Thanks for the Hamilton Address. Will come in handy for sure.

12. Post
    No worries....exams....so much fun...nessecary evil I guess....

13. Post
    Sorry for the new post, but it's been 10 days....

Just sat 70-642 - Windows 2008 Network infrastructure today.
    Seemed to be pretty hard while doing it, but came out the other end with 90%.....

Yay....my head hurts now.

14. Post
    unclearthur wrote:
    Sorry for the new post, but it's been 10 days....

Just sat 70-642 - Windows 2008 Network infrastructure today.
    Seemed to be pretty hard while doing it, but came out the other end with 90%.....

Yay....my head hurts now.
    Nice. Sitting my final DB Admin exam in 30 minutes. 70-644. I too will be hitting my head after the exam.

15. Post
    Nice work. I found when doing my MCSE that third party study material wasn't too good, nuggets etc.

Work purchased the official books for me and i passed without fail after that.

Mind you, only did it for licensing. All of the servers i manage are linux

16. Post
    Hey there,

My call:
    India training: Yes, got a few of my old team done it, and they got awesome skills, really good training often better than in NZ (and a new promotion as soon as they got back). They boot camp it so you working really hard. And yes it looked like a bot to me too.. ;-)

NZ training
    Ace is good
    Auldhaus is good
    Seek is too expensive

>>Install linux ... build your own ghetto isp in home, its mint practice.
    Nice call.

Now to the nuts and bolts.

Malks what is your goal? Are you wanting to be Network engineer, helpdesk or Desktop support?

Cause that changes what I would recommend.

17. Post
    Wally Simmonds wrote:
    Er...you do know you can do the same thing for CCA and VCP that you can do for the MCSE qual
    the good thing with VCP is you HAVE to do the Certified Training course (4 days) which costs around $3k+, so not every
    tom dick and harry out there will have it, as its not something you can just put on your student loan, you either need to pay
    for it or your employer needs to pay for it.

18. Post
    Hi all,

Sorry to re-activate an old thread, however I just went to book an exam, and it appears the prometric site for Hamilton is gone??
    (it used to be: ABS BUSINESS SCHOOL(NTSC)LTD T/A QUALITY EDU-HAMILTON
    Hamilton, 3216
    44 Peachgrove Rd
    )
    Anyone know what's up with that?
    I'd rather not drive for 1.5 hours prior to siting an exam.

Cheers,

19. Post
    best to give them a call and ask.

20. Post
    unclearthur wrote:
    Sorry to re-activate an old thread
    LOL - It did my head in - I was sure I had read a very similar thread earlier in the year..

21. Post
    Has anyone else Dealt with Koenig Solutions? I'm looking at heading over to do MCITP Windows Server 2008, and rather than get work to pay for exams separately and then manage to find time to do rest of study myself, figured its a win/win situation to head to India to get certified...

22. Post
    jrwebnz wrote:

In response to jrwebnz,

I recently attended Koenig to do MCPD and ITIL training - returned only last week.

By the way in te interets of transparency, Koenig asked me to respond to your comment, but irrespective of that I can honestly say it's some of the best training I've ever received. The cost is less than half the price in Australia and I received one-on-one training, i.e. just me and the instructor. Perhaps I was very lucky, but my trainer, Ravi Singh, was outstanding in that he knew his material and... he always developed succinct and pointed demos to all the chapters in the MOC.

By the way, on top of the training, we were fed – very well – housed, chauffeured, and our apartments serviced and all in the costand still at less than half the price in Oz.

In fact I am planning to return later this year to complete more studies.

Yes there are some “negatives: I quote this because I enjoy cultural exchanges. Indian cities, living conditions and culture can be a shock to a Westerner if you’re not travelled outside our comfort zones, but if you’re tolerant, understanding and embrace the place it is enlightening and rewarding.

However, Koenig are on top of this differential and never failed to accommodate any grievances I – and fellow students – experienced.

Note that I am not being rewarded for this and in fact would fairly can Koenig if I didn't think I received value for money. In fact there are a few organisations I would like to can but this is not the forum for that.

Anyway, I’ll leave that with you. Feel free to call me, but email first

23. Post
    I don't think qualifications are important at all.

What is important is a real interest in subject matter so you go above and beyond and have a real interest in learning ****, with a positive attitude and an ability to show this during interview

Look for a job that is asking for a low level sysadmin or similar and you can progress upwards from there.

My 2c

24. Post
    I agree strongly with L@mer.

Unfortunately naďve Recruitment Companies, HR personnel and Decision Makers on the Hiring Panel don’t… so you sometime have to play the game.

In fact, the certifications are hardly worth the piece of paper where most grads I have worked with are good at passing the exams but not actually doing the work.

Similarly to L@mer, it is the ability to think, passion to learn, respect for deadlines and costs, and desire to get the job done that matter.

25. Post
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    I don't think qualifications are important at all.

What is important is a real interest in subject matter so you go above and beyond and have a real interest in learning ****, with a positive attitude and an ability to show this during interview

Look for a job that is asking for a low level sysadmin or similar and you can progress upwards from there.

My 2c
    This is the hammer right here!

Passion in what you are interested in burns further than anyone can imagine, only you know when to stop.