1. Post
    This isn't really a pc building worklog, I'm just migrating my system into a more quiet case and adding after market coolers for cpu and gpu, also going to use a more reliable

and quiet psu
    Hopefully through my view as a first timer, this can give some sort of idea to other beginners what sort of stuff to expect when it comes to hardware uninstallation (for

installation check out http://www.pcityourself.com/index.php) and aftermarket cooler installation.

my Specs:
    E8400
    9600GT
    WD 640GB Caviar SE
    Asus P5QL-Pro
    Samsung sH-S223F DVD-Writer
    Raidmax Elite 208 w/ 450W PSU (for sale now btw)

What I've bought:
    Antec SOLO
    AC accelero twin turbo
    Scythe Kanata III
    Corsair VX450W

First thing's first, discharge myself by having one hand holding the metal part of the case and unplug all power plugs.
    The 20+4 plug proved to be a bitch to remove...
    I had to remove the gfx and HDD to remove their power connectors otherwise i risk killing either of them, when my mate put them together he decided to put the HDD on the exactly

same lvl as the gfx
    After wrestling all these cables out and removing the Optical drive:

removing the motherboard is pretty straight forward, looks like everyone's out, say goodbye to your old home
    (emotional moment)
    oh. don't forget the take out the back panel module, i did

I started with the CPU cooler

I have to say by the amount of dust, I'm quite surprised I haven't had any overheating issues yet.

pharmaceutical alcohol works like a charm,

Here's the katana III

damn I was hoping that the thermal paste comes in a syringe, oh well, shouldn't really matter

I might have used a little too much...

I never understood why people hate the push pins, now i do >
    at least thats been dealt with, time to sort of the gfx

these thermal tapes had really good grip, had to force it out with the screwdriver, cleaning the gpu is just like the cpu

this is the twin turbo

attached the ramsinks

I accidentally rubbed of the adhesive on one of the ramsinks
    glued it on with the thermal tape on the stock cooler, hope this works

after some fiddling with screws and stuff, it's attached to the gpu

the 3 pin connector doesn't fit on the 3-pins on the board so I have to use it to connect to the PSU

Time to check out the PSU and case

those cloth bags reminds me of a bride gown for some reason...

after another round of wrestling with the cables, its done

inb4 comments on ****ty cable management, its my first time

now my first impression:
    absolutely disappointed, it is about as loud as it was with stock coolers and original case, then i check the temperatures, errm, the CPU is idling at 42c, GPU at 40c, CPU

hotter than GPU, wut? with a little bit of load the CPU temp shoots up to 65c, I thought it was probably caused by one of the following:
    -the first time I seated the CPU heatsink it faced the wrong way so i quickly pulled it up and seated it the right way, could make some air bubbles
    -the push pins kept popping back out when I was wrestling the 4-pin EPS12V plug into the mobo, more chances for air bubbles
    -or the thermal paste is just having its burn in period

either way this high temp maxed out the fan speed and made them loud, the twin turbo connected to the PSU created a bit of turbulance as well

This morning:
    other than the turbulance of the twin turbo, i can't hear much, checked the temps, CPU temps are low enough that the sensors get stuck, which means they are at sub 32c, pleasant surprise, I'm happy now

now here's a question: i got arctic cooling, corsair, and asus stickers i haven't used, which ones should I stick on my case and where?

2. Post
    Just ran dragon age a bit, max GPU temp was 47c and max CPU temp was 41c, ooohhh yeah

3. Post
    Nice build, glad to hear you're happy with it

Case stickers are a no no imo, like people who cover their cars in stickers

And I can understand about cable management, it's really nice to do it properly but it's much harder than it looks I suck at it too and I've rebuilt my PC 3 or 4 times.

4. Post
    void wrote:
    Nice build, glad to hear you're happy with it
    it'll be a mission tryna tidy the cables especially with where the 24pin plug is. as you probably know SPCR build gallery have tonnes of good examples of these cases. *hint

edited to make sense : also you could try do the molex fan cable mod to undervolt the twin turbo fan. since you run it straight off the PSU i'd imagine it'll be running at full speed.

5. Post
    ptblnk wrote:

also you could try do the molex fan cable mod to undervolt the twin turbo fan you run off it since i'd imagine it'll be running at full speed
    Yeah, full speed Twin Turbo is nowhere near quiet.

6. Post
    Flanker wrote:
    First thing's first, discharge myself by having one hand holding the metal part of the case and unplug all power plugs.
    I'll just quickly point out you can only ground yourself on the case if you have the PSU plugged in.
    Flanker wrote:
    pharmaceutical alcohol works like a charm
    Just so everyone knows what to ask for it is Isopropyl Alcohol, pharmacies will sell it in different percentages in 50ml/100ml bottles. 70% or higher is recommended. Good for cleaning heatsinks and CPU's and plastic items if you dilute it.
    Flanker wrote:
    the 3 pin connector doesn't fit on the 3-pins on the board so I have to use it to connect to the PSU
    That's because GPU manufacturers have a tendency to use different plugs so it makes sense that they use a standard 3-pin header on this cooler. I don't know what comes with the Twin Turbo but if it has a Molex converter then you could mod the cable to run it at 7v instead of 12v, always a good way to drop noise to something tolerable.

Anyway awesome thread How do you find the case?

7. Post
    Should have gone with this haha http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=11556

Beats stock cooling and is a lot quieter than the twin turbo. Tbh even stock would be more quieter than the turbo lol, 2x fans vs 1 fan.

Just get some pink batts and a fan controller

8. Post
    bzE wrote:
    Anyway awesome thread How do you find the case?
    it looks so nice and glossy
    no way i'm going back to cheap cases anymore,
    this is actually the first case i find that has a working audio jack at the front, all others i had never worked...
    even with the twin turbo running at 12v the case kinda shuts it in, its quite bearable compare to what i had before

it is, however, pretty tight to work with

edit: i tried modding the molex, they made it impossible to pull the wires out (probably telling me to stop fiddling with computers and get a life lol), but hey even at 12v i find it ok, so i guess i'll leave it like that until i can find a modded cable

9. Post
    I use rivatuner to slow down the fans on my twin turbo, works well and is easy to use.

10. Post
    nile wrote:
    I use rivatuner to slow down the fans on my twin turbo, works well and is easy to use.
    cheers, will try that when i get a new card that can have the twin turbo's fan connector plugged onto it, atm i have to feed it with the 12v wire, thankfully the antec solo can dampening the sound enough that it is still quieter than the antec tri-cool on med-speed