Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

1. Post
    In the style of my previous thread "Epic BBQ Leg of Lamb" I thought I'd share with you my recipe and technique for ribs.

Here's the ribs:

Start by removing the membrane on the back of the ribs. Slide a knife under it to start it and then use a paper towel to assist with grip and remove it. This is done to make sure you don't get a stringy skin bit that's tough to chew through and allows the flavours to penetrate better.

Next prepare the dry rub. Ingredients:
    3 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp cracked black pepper
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp celery seeds
    1 tsp dry mustard
    2 tsp coriander seeds
    1 tsp mustard seeds
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp muscavado sugar

Combine in a pestle and mortar starting with the seeds ingredients first. Feel free to adjust the spices as you see fit and leave things out if you don't have them or expirement with your favs, the aim is to have a sweet/smokey/heat/earthy balance you like.

Coat both sides of the ribs liberally with the rub.

Leave to rest at room temp while you go set up your fire, or you can leve for a few hours in the fridge.

Get some wood chips, I used manuka (cheap dif sized bags at Warehouse), and soak them in water.

I used my Weber kettle to do them but you can do them in a gas bbq with a hood or even your oven at a stretch (maybe with no smoke though). Set up the kettle for indirect grilling, coals on both sides ribs in the middle. Use a drip pan underneath with a cup of apple juice and a cup of water, this provides moisture and controls temp. Chuck a handful of your soaked woodchips on each pile of coals. Put the lid on with the vents in the center, you want the smoke and heat drawn up into the middle over the ribs. Close the vents halfway and you want a temp of 150c, or go lower if you have more time (better).

Now for those of you that don't have a kettle, do them in a hooded BBQ. Take out your grill grates and leave one only for the ribs in the middle. Turn on the outside burners only. Put 1/2 your woodchips in a smoke box or even just in a tinfoil pouch with a couple of holes poked in it and put them directly over a burner. Put the drip tray with apple and water underneath. Close lid and get the temp right. Change the smoke pouch to a new one after an hour or so. Your setup should be similar to this like I did for the lamb:

Now leave it for a good 45 mins to an hour. Go inside and make the mop sauce and the BBQ sauce.

Mop sauce ingredients:
    2 TBS unsalted butter
    1/3 Cup of apple juice
    splash of bourbon

Melt the butter and add the apple and bourbon. Heat for a few mins. Use this sauce to baste the ribs every time you lift the lid. Only 2-3 times over the course of the 2.5 hours or so of cook time (longer if lower temp).

BBQ Sauce - Feel free to leave out, adjust, alter anything as it's quite a complex lot of ingredients, just expirement!

1/2 red onion finely diced
    3 cloves of garlic sliced
    1/2 tsp mustard seeds
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp smoked paprika
    1/2 tsp black peper
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    2 TBS red wine vinegar
    1 TBS worcestire sauce
    1 TBS dijon mustard
    3 TBS hoisin sauce
    2 TBS molasses
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/2 cup apple juice or water
    50ml Bourbon (burn of the alcohol first is best)
    sprig of fresh oregano
    few drops of liquid smoke

Cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat until soft, don't brown them. Add mustard seeds. Add dry spices and cook for a min or 2. add vinegar to deglaze, add in sauces and whole oregano sprig and rest of ingredients except apple juice. Cook gently for 30-40 mins adding apple juice or water to thin the mix as you don't want it to reduce to tar. Once done strain through a fine sieve and discard all the solid bits. Congrats you have yummy homemade bbq suace! This stuff will keep in the fridge for ages and is great on all sorts of things.

The ribs will be done after approx 2.5 hours during which time a couple of checks to baste and add more woodchips should be done. You will see the meat shrink away from the bone a bit when done. Resist the urge to peek constantly.

Once done take the bbq suace and paint a generous layer on bothe sides. Then put the ribs directly over the coals for a couple of minutes to caramalise them. Done!

Take them off and cover with tinfoil for 15 mins. This is very important as it lets the meat relax and keeps the juices in the meat rather than running out on your board when you cut them. Resist the urge to tuck straight in.

Carve straight down each rib with a sharp knife and dig in. Serve with paper towels, very messy.

I didn't get a pic of the final result as people literraly mobbed them straight away, but will next time

Enjoy! And remember trial and error is a great fun way to learn. BBQs don't always have to be about burnt sausages and and leathery steak

2. Post
    is very hungry now

3. Post

4. Post
    Looks really good. Do you normally cook them for such a short period of time however? I've always cooked ribs over about 6-8hrs.

5. Post
    Yeah it depends on the time I have. I have gone 5-6 hours before. The key really is temperature control which can be tricky on a kettle as you have to add fresh coal in the right amounts at the right time. I'm sure you already know that though. I now have a thermometer for mine which makes it a lot easier.

Also if people are going to gas cook it I really wouldn't go past 3 hours or so as gas gookers can really dry out the meat unlike a kettle or smoker.

Would love to try a really long low and slow 8 hrs on a smoker. you have one don't you? Or are you using a kettle?

6. Post
    Grolim wrote:
    Would love to try a really long low and slow 8 hrs on a smoker. you have one don't you? Or are you using a kettle?
    Yeh I got a stack smoker but it's modular so i can grill on it too.

7. Post
    Yeah I thought you did. Would like to get a smoker myself or maybe a pellet grill. Do you do ribs 6-8 hrs in it? How they come out?

8. Post

9. Post
    Mean. I've been getting into the old spare ribs lately. My old man loves cooking them on his kettle. That's one drawback to apartment living :/ ... I gotta do mine in the oven. It's not quite the same, but still a great feed. Nothing like gnawing the flesh from the carcass. I'm going to have a go at that spice rub, sounds good!

10. Post

11. Post
    Did them again today and managed to keep the temp down to around 125c. Still a bit hot, but it was such a hot day here it was at 80 before I even put the coals in!

Tried a couple of new techniques. First I moved the ribs to one side of the grill and had only one fire on the opposite side. Above which I placed a smaller tray of hot water. Also used small chunks of cherry wood rather than the manuka sawdust like stuff I had, liked this better for sure.

Also tried a method known as the "Texas Crutch". Rather than mopping with my mop sauce I instead after 2.5 hrs took the ribs off and double wrapped in aluminium foil and poured in the butter/bourbon/apple juice mix and then sealed it up. Put back in for 45 mins. Then removed the foil for the last 45 mins to allow the outside to crisp up again. This method is used heaps by those american pros you see on tv. It worked really well and the ribs were definitely moister.

12. Post
    My recommendation: slow cook those ribs in the oven at low temp for 4 hours, then finish them over the charcoal for the last hour. TENDERPERFECTGOOD!

13. Post
    [FORUM DIGGIN']

I'm gonna give this a go as soon as I get my new Webber kettle. What kind of ribs are these? (i.e. what cut?) What temps do you aim for and exactly how long? Also have you refined the recipe Grolim since you first wrote it?

Any other tips?

Cheers.

14. Post
    Merkinz wrote:
    [FORUM DIGGIN']

I'm gonna give this a go as soon as I get my new Webber kettle. What kind of ribs are these? (i.e. what cut?) What temps do you aim for and exactly how long? Also have you refined the recipe Grolim since you first wrote it?

Any other tips?

Cheers.
    It's just a rack of pork ribs. If you call your butcher (or even new world/pak n save) a day before you want them they should be able to sort you out.

15. Post
    Galent wrote:
    It's just a rack of pork ribs. If you call your butcher (or even new world/pak n save) a day before you want them they should be able to sort you out.
    There is a surprising number of rib cuts actually I don't often buy ribs ... in fact I have NEVER bought ribs before so I don't which cut is best. O_o

EDIT: Good tip about calling the supermarket the day before. Had no idea you could do that!

16. Post
    Yeah they are pork ribs, spare ribs is the cut you see there. Have not seen baby backs anywhere before. I actually go for St loius cut now as they are nice and uniform, either from my butcher or I get the spare ribs and cut the chine bone off to make a st loius cut.

I have indeed tweaked the recipe since. I now use a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker to do them, though a kettle is just fine.

Temp I aim for 225 deg farenheit (107 celsius). Timing depends on the cut and thickness of ribs. Spares I go about 5 hours, st loius 4 hours. American sites often have longer times in their recipes, usually because the ribs they get are thicker and meatier (damnit!). I usually go by look and feel though. They are done when the meat starts shrinking away from the bone a bit and when you pick them up with tongs they start to just tear or rip, cook further for melt off the bone, but I like a little bite still.

American recipes sometimes talk about the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours cooking, 2 hours wrapped in tinfoil, then 1 more hour cooking. For best results I modify this to 2.5 hours cook, then 45mins foil (with a little apple juice and butter in the foil), then 45 mins cook, with the sauce going on for last 20 mins.

Recipes if your interested for the rub and sauce are as follows. Obviously have a play and leave stuff out if you want,

Rub
    Makes enough for 3 racks or generous for 2. Most measurements heaped not level.

1 tsp Sea Salt
    1 Tbs Coriander seeds
    1 tsp Celery seeds
    tsp Mustard seeds
    8 Allspice berries
    8 Cloves
    1 tsp Cumin Seeds

Grind in mortar and pestle

Add:
    tsp Chili powder (more for spicier, I have young kids so go a bit easy here)
    7 tsp Smoked Paprika
    tsp Black Pepper
    1 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 tsp Sumac
    1 TBS Dried Oregano
    1 tsp Mustard powder
    4 TBS Muscavado Sugar (or brown sugar)
    1 tsp Ginger powder
    1 TBS onion Powder

Combine in mortar and pestle.

Sauce

1 Red onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 small branch of fresh oregano
    3 TBS red wine vinegar
    Half Jar hoisin sauce
    1 TBS molasses
    1 TBS american mustard
    Cup tomato sauce
    cup bourbon
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    1 lime
    3 cloves
    3 allspice berries
    4 juniper berries
    1 tsp sea salt
    tsp pepper
    2 tsp muscavado sugar
    Olive oil
    Few drops liquid smoke

Cook onions and garlic on medium heat to soften then add dry spices then rest of ingredients and simmer for 45 mins. Cool, and strain the sauce. Glaze ribs with a few coats in last 20-30 mins of cooking.

Hope you find that useful, as I said have a play, and definitely post your results as I'm always interested in what others are doin.

yum:

17. Post
    Thanks for the update Grolim! Much appreciated!

I've been reading up on amazingribs.com and there are two recipies / techniques I really want to have a crack at:
    1) Your recipe and,
    2) Rendezvous Ribs which only take an hour!!!

One final question. Cooking 3-2-1 ... When they are wrapped in foil (2) are they cooking? Or just resting on the bench?

Cheers

18. Post
    holy ****. want now.

19. Post
    OH
    MY
    GOD

20. Post
    Merkinz wrote:
    Thanks for the update Grolim! Much appreciated!

I've been reading up on amazingribs.com and there are two recipies / techniques I really want to have a crack at:
    1) Your recipe and,
    2) Rendezvous Ribs which only take an hour!!!

One final question. Cooking 3-2-1 ... When they are wrapped in foil (2) are they cooking? Or just resting on the bench?

Cheers
    No worries man.

That recipe looks pretty neat as well, would be good for a quick rib fix. I see they are using baby back ribs though which I haven't seen around anywhere before. They are a bit more tender than spares and have less connective tissue etc so would be suited to faster cooks. Spares IMO need low and slow cooking to break down the collagen which turns to gelatin.

Wrapping in foil, they go back in the cooker. For me 2 hours is a bit long and like I said the American recipes tend to have longer cook times due to thicker, tougher meat. Often I don't end up doing the foiling as it can be a bit off a mission, so don't bother when it's just for me or the family, but for big events or guests I do. It does make them a bit more tender and moister, the added apple juice helps there. Just don't foil too long or you end up with mush! quite often I just put some apple juice in a spray bottle and give them a squirt every hour or so if I'm not foiling.

Two good sites I'm on a lot that have really good recipes and communities are www.aussiebbq.info/forum and tvwbb.com

21. Post
    Cheers! Once I get my bloody tax back I'll have a new grill and a massive grin!

22. Post
    Awesome

Buying another kettle myself this summer, wife has drawn the line at 4 bbqs, so will have to sell the big 6 burner gas one I think. I hardly use it now with all the things you can do in a kettle or WSM.

23. Post
    Grolim wrote:
    Awesome

Buying another kettle myself this summer, wife has drawn the line at 4 bbqs, so will have to sell the big 6 burner gas one I think. I hardly use it now with all the things you can do in a kettle or WSM.
    DAMN! ... Is that to run two kettles at once? You have one EPIC summer ahead of you!

24. Post
    BBQ @ Grolims

25. Post

Yeah I have a pretty sweet set up. WSM, Weber kettle, 6 burner gas with hood, grill cart 3 burner & cabinet. Selling the big 6 burner and getting a second kettle. I'd like to be able to do things like veg and meat seperate on the 2 kettles or 2 different temp cooks. Basically I run out of room on the kettle sometimes so want moar!