World of Tanks

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Page 1 of 82 12341151 ... Last

1. Post

World of Tanks early beta

http://worldoftanks.com/

World of Tanks is a team-based massively multiplayer online game dedicated to armored warfare in the mid-20th century. Throw yourself into epic tank battles shoulder to shoulder with other steel cowboys to dominate the world with tank supremacy!

--original post--

Hey guys, I just got an email from shattercrystal about early beta for world of tanks.
    Just sign up to the Website and add the world of tanks code to your shopping cart it's completely free.

Here's more info about it

http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/inde...world_of_tanks

Gameplay/Teaser

Last edited by DumKopf; 7th July 2014 at 6:33 pm. Reason: Game info.

2. Post
    Downloading it now. hope its good!

3. Post
    Have got key, will wait for other people's opinions on it before downloading 1GB

4. Post
    Only 1 GB? Might be worth it just for a jam...

5. Post
    Afew problems with patching but fixed now but also a logging in problem has begun now..

6. Post
    Looks ****, probally is ****, wont be downloading it.

7. Post
    I don't really understand the trailer. An orc slaughtering elves then randomly a tank?

8. Post
    Its only 1GB though ;o

9. Post
    Huyi wrote:
    I don't really understand the trailer. An orc slaughtering elves then randomly a tank?
    Its a joke.. taking the mick out of normal "fantasy" mmos.

your sense of humor must be blunted somewhere...

10. Post
    Got mine up and running. Its not amazing, but its certainly addictive. Think BF1942, with tanks only. Except you get different tanks for different jobs, upgrades, and all that jazz.

11. Post
    Playing the beta, great fun for a ww2 armoured history buff. Crew training, choice of different panzer branches and choice of upgrades. Upgraded gun/motor(maybech)/running gear/turret/gun and tracks. Soon i can finally drop the LTraktor! Jagdpanzer 1 here i come.

12. Post
    Just got my medium PIII fully graded and working on unlocking the PIV or w/e its called!

13. Post
    bowLer wrote:
    Just got my medium PIII fully graded and working on unlocking the PIV or w/e its called!
    I'm jealous!!!
    PZIV F2 is the one you want. Or the PzIIIJ to take on armour.

14. Post
    PZIV F2 is the one. the other is got extra armour but its really heavy and slow

15. Post
    So what makes it an MMO over a multiplayer shooter with tanks guys

16. Post
    bowLer wrote:
    PZIV F2 is the one. the other is got extra armour but its really heavy and slow
    Does the PzIIIJ Special have good armour penetration? because it should outclass any allied tank bar the t34 untill middle 42. in armour penetration.

17. Post
    Bt wrote:
    So what makes it an MMO over a multiplayer shooter with tanks guys
    Well you need to unlock everything before you get the better tanks. like better tracks guns engines radios etc and that costs EXP which you get in every 15v15 matches. but you also get credits ( normally 2000 + each match ever if you lose you) which go to buying new tanks and the new gear you unlocked.

So lets say you unlocked a new gun you still need to buy it to put on your tank and then rebuy ammo for it( around 1K for full ammo). its not hard to unlock theirs things but its the at the end when your grinding 13kEXP to unlock the next tank and after you unlocked the new tank will still cost credits to get it E.G my next tank will cost 180.000 credits or 210,000.
    If you lose a match you mite only get 100exp but if you win and destroy enemy tanks or capture they base you mite 700exp or more!

so its a unbalanced grind.

But if you a team / clan you could just wipe the floor against randoms and "level" very quickly.

EDIT: O and SPG are overpowered! u get atleast 2 kills a game

18. Post
    griefmaker wrote:
    Does the PzIIIJ Special have good armour penetration? because it should outclass any allied tank bar the t34 untill middle 42. in armour penetration.
    I heard it can 1 shot any AT and Light tank SPG from the front but the ammo costs are crazy like 2K a round or something and the turret is super slow at reloading and turning.

19. Post
    bowLer wrote:
    Well you need to unlock everything before you get the better tanks. like better tracks guns engines radios etc and that costs EXP which you get in every 15v15 matches. but you also get credits ( normally 2000 + each match ever if you lose you) which go to buying new tanks and the new gear you unlocked.

So lets say you unlocked a new gun you still need to buy it to put on your tank and then rebuy ammo for it( around 1K for full ammo). its not hard to unlock theirs things but its the at the end when your grinding 13kEXP to unlock the next tank and after you unlocked the new tank will still cost credits to get it E.G my next tank will cost 180.000 credits or 210,000.
    If you lose a match you mite only get 100exp but if you win and destroy enemy tanks or capture they base you mite 700exp or more!

so its a unbalanced grind.

But if you a team / clan you could just wipe the floor against randoms and "level" very quickly.

Ok so its not an MMO just a shooter with RPG elements, like BFBC2, MW2 or any other shooter game

Thanks for clearing that up

20. Post
    no. it's a PVP MMO just your toon is a tank. Uber boring too. the shooting is almost fully automated (with the right click on enenmy wait for turret, left click "boom")although the game claims you can aim better manually, the 400 ping makes it a challenge... about the only challenge. the maps are very plain the terrain seldom offers much cover, tactics & strategy seem nearly non existant. 2 teams of tanks rush each other from opposite ends of map, artillery sits back... yawn.

21. Post
    A PvP MMO you say, haha... Whatever that is

That must make Call of Duty and Battlefield PvP mmos eh

22. Post
    bowLer wrote:
    No it isn't. Artillery has limited uses when there are multiple heavy and high end medium tanks on the field. It's powerful in the early game because theres almost nothing that can directly counter it except another artillery piece.

Bt - get over it already. Your constant disagreement over definitions is getting tiresome. The current scale of each individual battle is not MMO, the persistent 'character' development and single point of entry (server/world) along with the future plans for battles at release are. Deal with it.

UnholySoldier - it is definitely more accurate to aim manually, the auto aim is most beneficial for moving targets, a stationary target is fair game for all sorts of subsystem damage when you aim manually. The 0.5 update is supposed to be in the pipeline for the not too distant future and should deal with many of the current issues. Peraps some new maps as well as I do agree with you on that count.

23. Post
    Foxman wrote:
    Bt - get over it already. Your constant disagreement over definitions is getting tiresome. The current scale of each individual battle is not MMO, the persistent 'character' development and single point of entry (server/world) along with the future plans for battles at release are. Deal with it.
    I'd say ok, but persistant character development does not make an MMO. Plenty of online games have persistant character development exactly like World of Tanks. It does not make them an MMO. Explain the single point of entry to me to clarify, it still sounds like a game you log into and open a browser to find a game, which makes it definitely not an MMO :P What kind of future plans? I didn't read anything about a persistant world... i'm genuinely interested in how a company can call a game like this an MMO, when it clearly isn't, that is why i'm so interested. There is no disagreement over definitions, the game simply doesn't suit the criteria for an MMO, yet people continue to call it one, that is why I ask what makes it an MMO, and still i'm not convinced it is. I'm sure it is a great "online game" but an MMO it is not.

24. Post
    Bt wrote:
    There is no disagreement over definitions, the game simply doesn't suit the criteria for an MMO, yet people continue to call it one, that is why I ask what makes it an MMO, and still i'm not convinced it is. I'm sure it is a great "online game" but an MMO it is not.
    Like I said, it's current battle scale does not make it an MMO. But it's a closed gameplay beta afterall, it doesn't need to be feature complete at this point. The systems are there and the future plans are there to change that however.

There is no browser. Singe point of entry means that everyone joins the game through the same point on the same server; for example - at present there are approximately 2400 people connected to the world. The server then organises players into instances of the various maps for battles when people choose to enter combat. At present this is limited to 15 v 15 with a mix of German and Russian vehicles. Future additions will add 30 vs 30 battles along with nation vs nation, the inclusion of 4 more nations and infantry to battles.

Currently the persistence is limited to player 'characters', in future it will very likely (it's has been strongly hinted but not confirmed yet) include a persistent meta game around the progress of the 'war'. That's your persistent world.

At the end of the day, unless the developers fail to implement their planned features for whatever reason, the final product will be an MMO based around players driving tanks. Why shouldn't they market it as such pre-release?

25. Post
    Here's hopin they pull through, could be interesting if it happens

Page 1 of 82 12341151 ... Last