What are you working on today?

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
(9 votes)
Results 6,051 to 6,064 of 6064

  1. Post
    While I have your attention - One of the reasons CP gave for the dress code was employers entering the premise and sometimes interviews at short notice. Figured I should look up salaries in advance, the answer I got was an average for entry-level software developers of NZ$58,484/yr. Should I be looking at less without a degree?

    Just for the sake of being prepared, not that I'm expecting to need to be.

  2. Post
    Depends where you live tbh. I know a quite a few people that got jobs with a degree here in hawkes bay. Most were on 35-40k entry.

  3. Post
    Viilai wrote:
    While I have your attention - One of the reasons CP gave for the dress code was employers entering the premise and sometimes interviews at short notice. Figured I should look up salaries in advance, the answer I got was an average for entry-level software developers of NZ$58,484/yr.
    Where in the country are you? That's very high for the Christchurch market, Privoxy can comment more on the Wellington.

  4. Post
    We tend to pay ~$65k for entry dev positions, but I'm also well aware we pay higher than average.

  5. Post
    and "entry" being fresh out of uni with a piece of paper and little experience?

  6. Post
    I don't care for what paper (if any) you have, I just want to see code examples of stuff you've written or repos you've contributed to.

    We're also a 70% personality fit type place. We're a very close team and if you're not going to fit in with that it doesn't matter how good your code is.

    I'm happy to teach someone who knows very little if they are a good personality fit and are willing to learn.

  7. Post
    Cheers guys, that gives me some idea then. I'm more worried about getting experience when starting out, though I guess that doesn't mean to take a low offer.

    PS I don't have a personality.

  8. Post
    And remember that good learners are highly valued and tend to rise up the pay scale pretty quickly.

  9. Post
    Today I've started a complete rewrite of our server management tooling. Dropping local mongoDB and Pusher servers in favour of Amazon's offerings (DynamoDB and SQS). Also thinking I might swap Guice for Dagger just because.

    It's always a little daunting when you take software that is working perfectly fine and rip it to bits just for the sake of learning something new.

  10. Post
    Been looking into options for UIs in C++ and C#.

    Qt seems to be a clear winner for C++ but only if their licensing terms work for your project. Other than that it doesn't look pretty.

    For C# I can get away with WPF if I don't need it to work cross-platform. But again, it seems like there aren't many good options otherwise. Xwt seems solid for cross-platform however it's new and the documentation is sorely lacking.

    Anyone got any input?

    That Windows Explorer I mentioned is what I'm looking into atm, so WPF would make sense but I don't want to lock out the possibility of bringing it to other platforms if it feels worthwhile at a later date. Likely going with C# here, if mentioning WPF didn't make it obvious.

  11. Post
    inb4 java.

  12. Post
    Hit my first annoyance with dynamodb.

    Using the local client for dev, there isn't a native gui explorer of the db. I've been forced to install eclipse just to use the aws toolkit to explore the db.

  13. Post
    Viilai wrote:
    Qt seems to be a clear winner for C++ but only if their licensing terms work for your project. Other than that it doesn't look pretty.
    Qt uses a dual commercial and LGPLv3 licensing. Unless you are modifying Qt itself and you are unable to release the modifications (e.g. making it work on a platform covered by NDA) then I don't think it will pose any problems for most projects.

  14. Post
    bitshifter wrote:
    Qt uses a dual commercial and LGPLv3 licensing. Unless you are modifying Qt itself and you are unable to release the modifications (e.g. making it work on a platform covered by NDA) then I don't think it will pose any problems for most projects.
    Think I misread the new licensing terms. I'll look again

    Suppose I'll just use WPF for my explorer project, because undoubtedly I'll want the familiarity with C#/WPF/VS for actual work.