Should we have a general conversation thread?

66 people have voted on this poll. You may not vote on this poll

Yes
54 81.82%
No
12 18.18%
Other (specify)
0 0%
  1. Post
    Taranaki weather has been stunning this weekend

2. Post
    Thebuffone wrote:
    Taranaki weather has been stunning this weekend
    Same here, first decent day and decent surf too. Pity I have to work!

3. Post
    yup, I've just finished planting strawberries for summer - yum!

4. Post
    Jim Hopkins argues that credit has been a proxy for actual people

Yes, we can map the stark raving gibbering loony decisions, political and financial, that got us into this pickle. But something more fundamental has also played its part, something that money - especially credit - has helped to mitigate. or the first time in human history, our population pyramid is upside down. The thick bit's at the top, the pointy bit's at the bottom. Don't tell the feminists this, they'll garrotte you, but we're running out of babies.

That's what "an ageing population" really means - too many old geezers, not enough rug rats. Enter money, our saviour, hurrah! For years, no, decades, easy credit has been a proxy for extra people. It's bridged the gap, taken up slack, primed the pump, fuelled the furnace, revved the economic engine. To keep factories going and economies growing, you need customers.

If you've got three customers, they can each buy one widget. If you've got one customer, they have to buy three.

5. Post
    sounds like a lot of shite to me.

whilst its true that the birth rate is in decline
    the actual number of births is increasing, and the total population is growing.

"extra people" we have plenty of.

the problem with credit was that greedy people werent happy with a natural increase in profits
    but wanted profit at ever increasing rates.

(the world's population is growing at around 2%, but businesses want to see their profits rise by multiples of this)

6. Post
    I'd say it's partly right. Expansion of credit has helped mask realities of a changing population. Dangerous game IMO.

7. Post
    bradc wrote:
    I'd say it's partly right.
    i think its overcomplicating it.

credit is not a proxy for extra people, but for greater consumption(spending).

instead of saying "credit has been a proxy for extra people"
    he might as well be arguing "credit has been a proxy for extra pets" or whatever.

consumer spending rises for a number of reasons...not just a growing young population.(or lack of)

8. Post
    ^ Not sure that's right. Credit isn't a proxy for extra consumption, it's the mechanism for that extra consumption. The credit masks the fact that we've either got less people or less money than the short term health of the economy indicates.

9. Post
    Really interesting article here about Key, and NZ..

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...-attitude.html

10. Post
    really not happy about taking marados's (?) advice and changing my posts per page away from default.

11. Post
    Why's that?

12. Post
    Act MP Peter Tashkoff has announced he will contest party leader Rodney Hide for the seat of Epsom.

Newstalk ZB reported that Mr Tashkoff - number seven on Act's party list - had been scathing of Mr Hide's performance as leader and the handling of the Heather Roy affair.

It quoted Mr Tashkoff as saying Mr Hide was a failure as a leader, a liability to the party and had to go.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10668677

Clever, jeopardize the one chance your party has of staying in parliament by challenging an MP who's probably a lot more chance of winning Epsom.

13. Post
    bradc wrote:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10668677

Clever, jeopardize the one chance your party has of staying in parliament by challenging an MP who's probably a lot more chance of winning Epsom.
    Makes Nationals decision easier, stand a strong candidate.

14. Post
    I'm surprised that Act hasn't disintegrated completely, a la Alliance.

15. Post
    WoW, John Campbell really has a hard on for lowering the driving blood alcohol. I don't watch his program because I think it's garbage, but tonight's got to be at least 3 or 4 articles strongly against it in a couple of weeks.

16. Post
    Well it does need lowered, don't you agree?

17. Post
    falco wrote:
    really not happy about taking marados's (?) advice and changing my posts per page away from default.
    I wish GP could do 50 ppp, that'd be great. Can't understand how 35 could be enough for anyone.

Murakami wrote:
    I'm surprised that Act hasn't disintegrated completely, a la Alliance.
    Give it time. Give it time, and remember hope springs eternal! That glorious day will occur within our lifetimes, of this I am sure.

18. Post
    Marados. wrote:
    I wish GP could do 50 ppp, that'd be great. Can't understand how 35 could be enough for anyone.
    This can be achieved with a simple work around, by modifying the option box in your Options page to allow you to set your own value.

19. Post
    MX wrote:
    No. I outlined why in the thread about it.

But even if I did, John Campbell's shit program is just a vehicle for his political campaigning, masquerading as journalism.

20. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    But even if I did, John Campbell's shit program is just a vehicle for his political campaigning, masquerading as journalism.

21. Post
    This thread devolved into a discussion of weather. Surely that involves some sort of end-point or implosion for a CEPP discussion thread...

22. Post
    MX wrote:
    Out of curiosity, is this a typo? I have met people from southland who say stuff like "this dress needs washed". Is there a linguistic shift brewing in the rugged south?

23. Post
    Doofer wrote:
    This can be achieved with a simple work around, by modifying the option box in your Options page to allow you to set your own value.
    Thats simple?

24. Post
    I'm getting worried about what Power / Collins are doing to the Justice & Police. As an always theoretically potential defendant, I like the idea of defendants having some rights - it seems that Powers has presumed that the Police only ever charge guilty people.

25. Post
    BeefyBurgers wrote:
    Out of curiosity, is this a typo? I have met people from southland who say stuff like "this dress needs washed". Is there a linguistic shift brewing in the rugged south?
    I'm not too sure, I just came to mind first =\