Results 276 to 300 of 3305

  1. Post
    crusader142 wrote:
    ?

    Im with worldnet

    I have been communicating with their helpdesk, and with telecom about the "local adsl problem" since they own the exchange.
    Oh sorry, thought you were trying to switch to telecom now.

  2. Post
    crusader142 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > All your emails have been received by technical support and our
    > network team is working to resolve local congestion for the normal
    > ADSL broadband service. As regards the location of 172.17.1.22, you
    > can see it for yourself if you run 'whois 172.17.1.22' at a command
    > prompt that it is located in USA. Please refer to my previous message.
    >
    > Regards
    Reply with:

    Hi,

    172.16/12 (all addresses from 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255) is part of a Private address range. You can view the details here:
    http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-172-16-0-0-1

    This IP range is used by ISPs instead of 10/8 (10.1.1.1 to 10.255.255.255) and 192.168/16 (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.255.255) as this will often conflict with internal networks used by home modems and routers. Of course, I don't expect this to be news to a technical helpdesk. So, with this in mind, 172.17.1.22 is completely within your own network as no edge routers will pass traffic in this range to another network (BGP forbids it).

    172.17.1.22 is an address assigned to a piece of equipment within your network (probably your DSL terminating LNS). I trust that your core network equipment is in fact not in the USA. Please investigate my case further.

    I also suggest that if your whois command does work, that you have 172.17.1.22 set up in your own DNS server. And that the '.us' is the literal word us, rather than an acronym for United States.

    Thanks.

  3. Post
    They wont believe me.



    My side of story to Worldnet tech team:
    -Latency is terrible. 80ms+ to auck ( should be 30ms ), 130-250+ to aus ( should be 60ish )
    -I gave them several tracerts, which show 172.17.1.22 to be the main / first culprit lagging.


    They say: ( got a variety here )
    -Its because ADSL1 is slower than ADSL2+ so there is congestion and latency is higher. ( amazing that FPS & RTS uses a full 8mbps now * sarcasm * )
    -Theres something wrong with the local adsl service.
    -172.17.1.22 is "located in the USA in Hopkins" - quote, and this is causing your high ping.
    -Data is managed between 8am and 2am.
    -Your line is on fast path. ( interleaving off for those who dont know )



    I reply:
    -172.17.1.22 isnt in the USA it will be a gateway / router on TNZ or in worldnets network ( im actually not sure )
    -its impossible to do 70ms from here to Hopkins in USA.
    -172.17.1.22 is a private ip address, and I showed the private IP ranges to them.



    They reply:
    -you are wrong , i know how to do a Whois command in cmd prompt and its in the USA.
    -there is an issue with adsl congestion, it may be fixed in a few weeks time.




    I mean gee. All I wanted right from the start was a simple connection to share between two PCs, play games, surf pages, little bit of you tube & couple of torrents a month.

    1st problem: speeds were so bad we were on dialup - like speeds 95% of the time.
    2nd problem: getting hold of tech team is difficult.
    *1st problem sort of fixed / better when they purchased more bandwidth.
    3rd problem arose recently when pings are going through the roof.


    Give me 50-200kb/s 85% of the time + 30ms to auck & 60-70 ms to aus and ill shut up and ill leave you alone worldnet !!!!!!!!
    Surely they must be getting sick of the emails & phone calls , just as im getting sick of asking all the time.

    I think ill leave the rant here. You guys are probably sick of reading this too.




    Summary: I think this sucks, also they should make it a requirement that their technicians be trained in CCNA1 before answering emails & phones.
    Looking at slingshots unlimited, TNZ pro plan, snaps plans. Only way ill stay with worldnet is if the latency is fixed asap. Im not paying $70 a month to be able to only browse the net.

  4. Post
    Not gonna hire anyone with a CCNA into a Helpdesk when the entry level CSR position pays around 28-30k.

  5. Post
    crusader142 wrote:
    They wont believe me.



    My side of story to Worldnet tech team:
    -Latency is terrible. 80ms+ to auck ( should be 30ms ), 130-250+ to aus ( should be 60ish )
    -I gave them several tracerts, which show 172.17.1.22 to be the main / first culprit lagging.


    They say: ( got a variety here )
    -Its because ADSL1 is slower than ADSL2+ so there is congestion and latency is higher. ( amazing that FPS & RTS uses a full 8mbps now * sarcasm * )
    -Theres something wrong with the local adsl service.
    -172.17.1.22 is "located in the USA in Hopkins" - quote, and this is causing your high ping.
    -Data is managed between 8am and 2am.
    -Your line is on fast path. ( interleaving off for those who dont know )



    I reply:
    -172.17.1.22 isnt in the USA it will be a gateway / router on TNZ or in worldnets network ( im actually not sure )
    -its impossible to do 70ms from here to Hopkins in USA.
    -172.17.1.22 is a private ip address, and I showed the private IP ranges to them.



    They reply:
    -you are wrong , i know how to do a Whois command in cmd prompt and its in the USA.
    -there is an issue with adsl congestion, it may be fixed in a few weeks time.




    I mean gee. All I wanted right from the start was a simple connection to share between two PCs, play games, surf pages, little bit of you tube & couple of torrents a month.

    1st problem: speeds were so bad we were on dialup - like speeds 95% of the time.
    2nd problem: getting hold of tech team is difficult.
    *1st problem sort of fixed / better when they purchased more bandwidth.
    3rd problem arose recently when pings are going through the roof.


    Give me 50-200kb/s 85% of the time + 30ms to auck & 60-70 ms to aus and ill shut up and ill leave you alone worldnet !!!!!!!!
    Surely they must be getting sick of the emails & phone calls , just as im getting sick of asking all the time.

    I think ill leave the rant here. You guys are probably sick of reading this too.




    Summary: I think this sucks, also they should make it a requirement that their technicians be trained in CCNA1 before answering emails & phones.
    Looking at slingshots unlimited, TNZ pro plan, snaps plans. Only way ill stay with worldnet is if the latency is fixed asap. Im not paying $70 a month to be able to only browse the net.
    Go to the main worldnet office and pull a shotgun out, stop QQing about it.

  6. Post
    Allu wrote:
    Not gonna hire anyone with a CCNA into a Helpdesk when the entry level CSR position pays around 28-30k.
    Might be a shocker ... but they have before .... certs don't mean **** if your a numpty :P

    They've had CCNA peeps working on the helpdesk before ... think everyones favorite forum admin bevin was CCNA trained/certed before going to Noc ... I think.

  7. Post
    Ild rather the helpdesk have CCNA training, than them knowing nothing and trying to tell me my 1st hop goes to the USA, and be given a hundred reasons why its my fault the broadband is sucking when it was perfect on telecom.

  8. Post
    crusader142 wrote:
    Ild rather the helpdesk have CCNA training, than them knowing nothing and trying to tell me my 1st hop goes to the USA, and be given a hundred reasons why its my fault the broadband is sucking when it was perfect on telecom.
    Missed the point chief.

    Training doesnt mean **** when the people are morons.

  9. Post
    Pretty sure everyone warned you not go with worldnet

  10. Post
    Ragnor wrote:
    Pretty sure everyone warned you not go with worldnet
    recovered B|ind-Reaper*'s wife's photos like a boss

  11. Post
    Yep. My mistake. After only having experienced telecom broadband, I did not think that any other ISP would have such a decrease in performance & customer service, in comparison.

    I definitely did not anticipate 24/7 dial up - 256kbps speeds. I was expecting maybe 2Mbps+, as on telecom I got 6-7Mbps.
    It is probably misleading on their site claiming * UP TO * full line speed each way * even with the managed between 8am-2am policy.
    ( If its going to be dialup - 256kbps speeds all the time, they might as well just advertise that. )
    I also did not foresee 200ms + pings just over the ditch to aus.


    To wrap this story up, they declined my request for compensation since their massive latencies are rendering all of my VOIP & latency sensitive applications useless, and im stuck with browsing & downloading at 20kb/s 24/7.


    So when I have time available I will be switching ISP.

  12. Post
    I've been getting 150-250KB/s all day yesterday and today

  13. Post
    For torrents?

  14. Post
    na, international http downloads

  15. Post
    raydog2k wrote:
    na, international http downloads
    Oh wow!

  16. Post
    today, 800-900KB/s

  17. Post
    that explains why my downloads are crawling now.... gg mf! :P

  18. Post
    Torrent speed isnt too bad right now- getting 200k from priv tracker.. but im sure with all the tv rls today it will start to slow down very soon

  19. Post
    Lollllllll, maxing out at 16kb/s downloading from steam (nz content server)

    Been pretty ****ing pathetic the last week or so.

  20. Post
    opaque wrote:
    Lollllllll, maxing out at 16kb/s downloading from steam (nz content server)

    Been pretty ****ing pathetic the last week or so.
    the NZ steam server is filtered stupid.

  21. Post
    ChineseKiwi wrote:
    the NZ steam server is filtered stupid.
    Sif know that, and lol @ expecting me to know

  22. Post
    ChineseKiwi wrote:
    the NZ steam server is filtered stupid.
    There's a slingshot content server (and three in total)


  23. Post
    Been AYCE for 2 days and its actually faster than my Telecom connection.......this **** is awesome.

    Been smashing torrents out like nothing...only hitch is some youtube clips load slightly slower but i never need to pause a clip to let it load..

    Insanely happy with SS at the moment.

  24. Post
    You do realise you get a grace period of a couple of days when everything is sweet right?

    SS haven't yet built a profile of your internet usage so they can't lock you down. Come back in a week and tell us your new story


    Joking about the profile

  25. Post
    ah yeah that's what happened to me.. went downhill after a couple weeks.. it's why I left. bastards and their shaping. :mad: