Slingshot ALL YOU CAN EAT PLAN

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    saajiik wrote:
    No. -. Yes.

Thats true.

Its hard to justify as the speed varies all the time.
    You tube is bad most of the time unless its cached though. But you have to expect this since its an unlimited plan.

Gaming is pretty good though.

2. Post
    They must've changed something in the last few days or took my emails to heart.

Still not great but I can actually load Gmail without using HTML view now.

3. Post
    ^BITES^ wrote:
    Missed the point chief.

Training doesnt mean **** when the people are morons.
    I can tell you first hand experience of that. The foundation knowledge in CCNA is just average stuff which IMO anyone working in the technical aspect of ICT should know about already, but then the cert. gets specific with Cisco gear and IOS when it comes to the problem solving aspect. If you're going to get CCNA then it's only useful if you work in environment with at least one or two Cisco gear. Also you have to remember the cert expires every 3yrs if you don't renew. Not very useful for sys admins and engineers that only deals with basic level of networking in LAN environment or for network engineers that don't deal with any Cisco gears at all (but they all do, lol).
    For a level1 helpdesk position you're required to follow the script and usually not allowed to engage your knowledge at all.

A better way to judge if they're morons or not during hiring is to give them practical tests. Starting with basic how-tos and working the way up to complex problem solving (depends on the position). Weeds out the incompetents in no time I find.
    Then there's the communications test which are best left to the HR people.

4. Post
    crusader142 wrote:
    You tube is bad most of the time unless its cached though. But you have to expect this since its an unlimited plan.
    This has got to be the most ironic thing I find about Slingshot. All traffic sourced from the APE is fast EXCEPT traffic that the Oversi OverCache platform can screw around with which ends up being slower than it could have been if it had been direct.

That's the impression I get from reading people's posts anyway.

5. Post
    With so many heavy users on the one ISP their handover links must be getting maxed 24x7, I'm surprised everything isn't slow.

6. Post
    I believe there are a fair few "light" users with Slingshot. They used to have plans which were quite appealing for such users (as they were $5-$10 cheaper then the opposition)

7. Post
    the is one week on ayce , this not full downloading 24/7 either , there bandwidth boost last week has come threw . got a 4mbit connection not the fastest and i am rural , good enough for me

Attached Images

8. Post
    Slingshot is fine for gaming

hardly ever lag but one in a while (every 5 - 20 minutes) i'll get a spike of 40ms which lasts around 10 seconds :\ not complaining really

edit:Also on that note

speedtest.net is really unreliable lol

as pictured here

9. Post
    first month i downloaded over 1.3tb or something ..

not to bad
    Chaos, Disorder, Mayhem .... My work here is done

10. Post
    Are FTP speeds etc rate limited? Could be handy if not

11. Post
    Chunky wrote:
    Are FTP speeds etc rate limited? Could be handy if not
    would apear not on my account getting 1.2-1.3mbps

12. Post
    Can anyone tell me what speeds they get from mega upload, thinking of changing to AYCE Plan to do some downloading from there mostly 4-8GB files. Also can I join the AYCE plan for a few months then change back to a smaller plan like 20GB?? Please reply..

13. Post
    Between 10 and 60kBps, you can change back but the 24mth contract will still be in effect.

14. Post
    cokeman wrote:
    the is one week on ayce , this not full downloading 24/7 either , there bandwidth boost last week has come threw . got a 4mbit connection not the fastest and i am rural , good enough for me
    **** I'm lucky to use half of that in a month.

15. Post
    Ragnor wrote:
    With so many heavy users on the one ISP their handover links must be getting maxed 24x7, I'm surprised everything isn't slow.
    However I'm sure they have a fair few of their customers now on the shared red network with Vodafone so that may not be as big of a problem as if they were 100% wholesale.

16. Post
    insane wrote:
    However I'm sure they have a fair few of their customers now on the shared red network with Vodafone so that may not be as big of a problem as if they were 100% wholesale.
    I also reckon they've got a fair few customers on their cheap legacy plans (including some 256k/2Mbps) with low caps.

17. Post
    saajiik wrote:
    Between 10 and 60kBps, you can change back but the 24mth contract will still be in effect.
    10-60kBps? Even with a premium account???

18. Post
    I don't pay for accounts on those sites. If "regular" HTTP downloads are anything to go by, it won't be much different with multiple connections (they go around the same speed)

19. Post
    Debra wrote:
    10-60kBps? Even with a premium account???
    AYCE has its own bandwidth allocation pool. So you are sharing that international bandwidth allocation with everybody else on the AYCE plans,
    who are basically downloading all the time because that is the only reason you go AYCE in the first place
    e.g. I'd expect AYCE to be slow because its network will be congested most of the time.

- Fast
    - Cheap
    - Lots of Data

Basically you get to pick two only in NZ This is just the first "Cheap + Data" plan in a while.

20. Post
    Does anyone know if this happens on there other plans like the 40GB plan, because you get like 6 hours free downloads a day, wonder what the speeds would be like then?

21. Post
    Debra wrote:
    wonder what the speeds would be like then?

22. Post
    For those on slingshot try watching this video i made

YOU MUST NOT BE IN THE HTML5 BETa FOR THIS TO WORK!

It speeds up your video loading because it forces it to load from orcon cache rather then slingshots ****ty cache

23. Post
    atm I'm with Voda, great speed but only 60gb/month, which is really really really getting tight.

Thinking about going on this ayce business, can anyone tell me what the speeds are like with free MU and premium RS?

24. Post
    What. wrote:
    can anyone tell me what the speeds are like with free MU and premium RS?
    Unlike Vodafone, Slingshot throttle traffic from MU and RS and going by some forum posts performance on those sites will be pretty bad.

25. Post
    What. wrote:
    Thinking about going on this ayce business, can anyone tell me what the speeds are like with free MU and premium RS?
    Free MU <1kBps without a "tweak", ~30kBps with the tweak.

RS/RS premium should be around the same (the shaping seems to act over an entire traffic class rather than per connection, so multiple connections don't make much difference).
    I get ~30kBps from RS.