Slingshot ALL YOU CAN EAT PLAN

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    saajiik wrote:
    Free MU <1kBps without a "tweak", ~30kBps with the tweak.
    Could you give details (or link to details) for this tweak? I've never gotten Free MU to yield sufficient bandwidth to be worth bothering with.

2. Post
    I'm not even sure what exactly does it, I just know that it works somehow.

3. Post
    Question is how is FTP and encrypted traffic?

edit: I mean proper encrypted traffic, not turning on "Force Encryption" in utorrent (which does nothing btw kids)
    recovered B|ind-Reaper*'s wife's photos like a boss

4. Post
    doesn't make a difference

5. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Question is how is FTP and encrypted traffic?

edit: I mean proper encrypted traffic, not turning on "Force Encryption" in utorrent (which does nothing btw kids)
    Encryption does nothing anyway, the packet filters can see right through it. ( Im sure slingshot has Layer 7 ones too )
    Even if they dont , they probably have encrypted traffic set as low priority or throttled.

Btw im on AYCE, and for those thinking about joining it, its alright, biggest issue is inconsistency. Had a spell of good speeds , then a few days ago now everything went crap after the PPP issues. Now the speeds * at least on the p2p speed graphs * are all over the place. In simple terms, looks like multiple mount everests on the graph.

6. Post
    crusader142 wrote:
    Encryption does nothing anyway, the packet filters can see right through it. ( Im sure slingshot has Layer 7 ones too )
    Even if they dont , they probably have encrypted traffic set as low priority or throttled.
    The only way to see through proper levels of encryption is with deep packet sniffing and as far as I am aware no ISP in NZ does this, very very few do world wide...

Putting all encrypted traffic into the slow pool would hinder any chance of them gaining business customers, which as we all know is where the money is...

7. Post
    slingshot have dpi equipment afaik

business customers wouldn't use residential plans so that argument is a moot point

8. Post
    raab wrote:
    business customers wouldn't use residential plans so that argument is a moot point
    shouldn't*

you'd be surprised how many business customers - even though the price isn't much different, still register their lines & broadband as residential - but expect business service

9. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    The only way to see through proper levels of encryption is with deep packet sniffing and as far as I am aware no ISP in NZ does this, very very few do world wide...

Putting all encrypted traffic into the slow pool would hinder any chance of them gaining business customers, which as we all know is where the money is...

You sure ?

I heard telecom has some. Perhaps it was chinese whispers.

10. Post
    crusader142 wrote:
    You sure ?

I heard telecom has some. Perhaps it was chinese whispers.
    Is often the case, or its just "scare tactics" big downloaders.

11. Post
    Anyone on these forums work for slingshot ?

Would be interested if there will be any improvement on AYCE. As I previosuly said after the PPP issues, it went to crap. At least here in chch, everyone I know on Slingshot reporting slower speeds of late.

12. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    I mean proper encrypted traffic, not turning on "Force Encryption" in utorrent (which does nothing btw kids)
    ...what?
    Both ends have to support encryption .. but it is technically "encrypted" eg not plain text.

raab wrote:
    slingshot have dpi equipment afaik

Correct they absolutely do have a DPI appliances...

Privoxy wrote:
    Eh wrong.

Several do it already afaik ... slingshot for sure, I'm sure vulcan can prolly ear mark a couple more if hes feeling chatty :P.
    That in addition to behavioural analysis ... which negates alot of the encryption being used to prevent shaping. The traffic patterns/habits still look the same. Sucks to have such a smart ass device :P

crusader142 wrote:
    Anyone on these forums work for slingshot ?

Would be interested if there will be any improvement on AYCE. As I previosuly said after the PPP issues, it went to crap. At least here in chch, everyone I know on Slingshot reporting slower speeds of late.
    /cackle

Only Helpdeskers and Ex-Network Engineers that built said appliance I think

13. Post
    Whats the speeds like on the normal slingshot plans? I read its on a different bandwidth pool
    Winner: Ass Clown Award 2002!!! NEWS FLASH 2003 clown as well!!!

14. Post
    Sea Monkey wrote:
    Whats the speeds like on the normal slingshot plans? I read its on a different bandwidth pool
    Try reading the topic BEFORE replying.

15. Post
    ^BITES^ wrote:
    Try reading the topic BEFORE replying.
    I did, thanks for not helping wanker

16. Post
    Other plans are fine, but offpeak traffic is very slow for international.

03 area has been having major problems, but they have allocated more bandwidth to 03

17. Post
    Sea Monkey wrote:
    I did, thanks for not helping wanker
    In that case can I recommend drinking drain cleaner?

If your still unable to find details after this many posts ... your either A) too stupid B) just not bothering to read.
    sjf wrote:
    On Slingshots justbroadband plan I can get about 280gig in a month for $129 so that might be worth trying out if you dont want to be frustrated with the slower speeds on the ayce plan
    I gave you the benefit of the doubt it was the later, looks like I was wrong.

"wanker".

18. Post
    Comparing speeds on non ayce plans to ayce speeds is not a valid comparison. Slingshots normal plans are 100% better than AYCE, therefore they are twice the speed of dial up!

Do you see my point?

However answering my question instead of being a wanker would have been more helpful.

Wanker

19. Post
    I've never found Slingshot any good for streaming, regardless of plan.

20. Post
    time 1-30am 9/11/2010
    download speed is 20KB/s using torrents on slingshot unlimited plan on a very well seeded torrent

21. Post
    Torrents are being throttled badly at night atm.

They go faster during the day, but you are only going to hit the 100s kb/s range if you are connected to the cache.
    * Might be an incorrect statement, but it is true for my friends & I on slingshot in Chch.

22. Post
    jesus, you poor bastards If I get under 100Kb/s I reboot my router to fix it.
    I'm guessing though, that the total amount you download a month is making this all worth while.

23. Post
    crusader142 wrote:
    Torrents are being throttled badly at night atm.

They go faster during the day, but you are only going to hit the 100s kb/s range if you are connected to the cache.
    * Might be an incorrect statement, but it is true for my friends & I on slingshot in Chch.
    That's pretty much the same as I've noticed, although they'll occasionally exceed 150kBps, I don't think they've ever gone over 200kBps without the help of some form of national peer.

24. Post
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...&topicid=71331

"Slingshot told me also that things should be resolved shortly after xmas but there was no guarantee."

Lol wut?

25. Post
    That better not mean what I think it means.