1. Post
    liquidpain wrote:
    just got swapped over
    hee hee hee

I should bookmark my comments about speedtests so I can just quote 'em for ease.

2. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Telstraclear is decent for gaming. Although I cant comment on consoles. I play PC only.
    TC (cable) was terrific for PC or Console gaming ANY time of the day up until I left about 8 months ago for Big Time (only 'cause we kept going over the cap).

Now, playing on the same Wolfenstein ET (only online game I play) servers there's huge lag making it unplayable. US servers of course, AU servers are almost always empty and a waste of time anyway.

Seriously I don't know how people can play games online with (A)DSL like this, all the good servers for gaming/games are overseas and the connection to there is just bad :/ Oh yeah, worse ping since going from Big Time to Adventure too.

3. Post
    whats hotfile, rapidshare, fileserve megashares speed like? this plan worth it

4. Post
    cache!

5. Post
    Old school OS.

6. Post
    Isnt it nice connecting to slingshots cache.

7. Post
    Seems like the plan is looking good I am seeing faster speeds.

Re [Ne]niaz how did you get your torrents going that fast?

8. Post
    Torrent cache

9. Post
    saajiik wrote:
    Torrent cache
    How much do they cache?

10. Post
    a billion terrabytes.

I wonder how many SS employees have a portable HD plugged into that machine

11. Post
    ExterminatorJef wrote:
    How much do they cache?
    How should I know?

It's a bit hit-and-miss if a popular torrent is even on the cache anyway.

12. Post
    popular tv shows are a good bet

13. Post
    Hawkz25 wrote:
    a billion terrabytes.

I wonder how many SS employees have a portable HD plugged into that machine
    I have no idea at all how torrent caches work, but i wouldn't think they would be stored in their final format? (for obvious reasons)
    Maybe done on the basis of popular pieces of torrents or something? (hence why it can be hit and miss perhaps)

Total speculation. Can someone enlighten?

14. Post
    Torrent caches are stored in a massive external HDD that the manager takes home every night and plugs it back in at work the next morning, hence why Slingshot offpeak speeds are ****house.

15. Post
    Naw. I get decent speed during off-peak with a cached torrent. Around 1mb/s. That was 4-6am I think. Just the non cached ones are ****.

16. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    I have no idea at all how torrent caches work, but i wouldn't think they would be stored in their final format? (for obvious reasons)
    Maybe done on the basis of popular pieces of torrents or something? (hence why it can be hit and miss perhaps)

Total speculation. Can someone enlighten?
    "Fully-cached" torrents appear as 99.9% complete.
    At least one Slingshot employee stated that the cache will kick in if more then a specific number of Slingshot customers are leeching a torrent and there is at least one seeder.
    I've been connected to the cache for the last two weeks for a torrent with one seeder, and one other (non-cache, non-me) leecher from Austria. The cache has ~10%, all of which was what I seeded to it.

17. Post
    Lol @ seeding to the cache. What a nice way to help use up customers' data cap.

The Oversi box will just be using DPI techniques to intercept and rewrite the protocol's signaling traffic such as communication with trackers.

Haven't read the BitTorrent specification myself but the 99.9% will just be an artifact so the extension of the protocol conforms to the original spec.

ISPs don't infringe copyright by automating storage of material for the purposes of accelerating internet services (you're most likely still infringing copyright anyway if you got a copy of 99.9% of the material).

18. Post
    rapidshare downloading is ****, and i lag all the time on molten wow rofl.

19. Post
    heh thanks to all you people on All you can eat plan now most of the torrents I dl are cached

20. Post
    The cache is shared between all Slingshot customers.

21. Post
    So I take it that this plan is still ****?

22. Post
    Shoryuken wrote:
    So I take it that this plan is still ****?
    It's not too bad, just don't expect full download speed 24/7 for different sources (mainly international). Browsing websites is fine, POPULAR stuff using their cache system for http/ftp/torrents/steam/youtube/Microsoft/Apple/Linux/national stuff etc is not too bad (can achieve max download speed). Mostly everything else, International and P2P in general ie RS/MU/MS/HF etc and torrents (not in cache) download speeds sit at 100-200KB max (sometimes lower). Just curious has anyone tried the unlimited plan offered by Kinect? Be interesting to compare.

23. Post
    jdogz wrote:
    It's not too bad, just don't expect full download speed 24/7 for different sources (mainly international). Browsing websites is fine, POPULAR stuff using their cache system for http/ftp/torrents/steam/youtube/Microsoft/Apple/Linux/national stuff etc is not too bad (can achieve max download speed). Mostly everything else, International and P2P in general ie RS/MU/MS/HF etc and torrents (not in cache) download speeds sit at 100-200KB max (sometimes lower). Just curious has anyone tried the unlimited plan offered by Kinect? Be interesting to compare.
    Would it be safe to assume that most steam stuff is cached?

24. Post
    jdogz wrote:
    100-200KB/s for everything doesn't seem bad. would it be possible to sync downloads at 100-200KB/s each and reach max download speed or no? And if i was downloading at a much lower speed than my max line rate,it wouldn't raise my latency when i am playing a game correct?

would like to know also how well kinect goes compared to slingshots unlimited plan.

25. Post
    ExterminatorJef wrote:
    Would it be safe to assume that most steam stuff is cached?
    I would say yes most steam stuff would be cached. Possibly some of the Latest and least popular/older stuff may not be cached (only guessing here). Eventually it would be though.