Slingshot ALL YOU CAN EAT PLAN

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    russianguy192 wrote:
    100-200KB/s for everything doesn't seem bad. would it be possible to sync downloads at 100-200KB/s each and reach max download speed or no? And if i was downloading at a much lower speed than my max line rate,it wouldn't raise my latency when i am playing a game correct?

would like to know also how well kinect goes compared to slingshots unlimited plan.
    As far as downloads go, CACHED stuff is pretty much max download speed (only on ADSL1 here can't comment on ADSL2 speeds). Running multiple downloads (using a download manager etc) NOT IN THE CACHE (international/P2P/torrents etc) to reach max download speed is not possible, global limit set between 100-200KB mark 24/7 (at the moment, could change). They prioritize (limit/shape/throttle) their traffic and because Gaming, Browsing etc is NO. 1 on their list the chances of you downloading at a lower speed for international/P2P stuff etc and gaming at the same time is quite possible. Unfortunately no idea here on what game latencies and download speeds you might achieve. Seems to be different all round for some.

2. Post
    If gaming is first on their list of priorities, why is it so poos . 20% it's ok, rest of the time it's loss and choke city, sometimes with one of us playing TF2, almost always with 2 or 3. Anyone else experiencing?

3. Post
    Spotila wrote:
    If gaming is first on their list of priorities, why is it so poos . 20% it's ok, rest of the time it's loss and choke city, sometimes with one of us playing TF2, almost always with 2 or 3. Anyone else experiencing?
    Is that FS/FS, only 1 person can play internet games at a time on FS/128 plans - not enough upstream data.

What's your line's data rate?

4. Post
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 969 / 16.232

according to the thomson

5. Post
    Try http://supportwiki.steampowered.com/...ection_Problem
    Last section at the bottom of the page.

Might make a difference :/

6. Post
    Im switchin over to All You Can Eat very soon, waiting for it to be connected.

My downloads are mostly From Megaupload and Hotfile. can People Post the speeds they get fropm these sites?

and by the way, what is this cache thing people talk about? how do you know when a torrent is cached? and is caching just for torrents?

this is what i get now with XNET, it is pretty crap especially at nights. it would surely be better than this right?!!! (Please say yes!!!)

7. Post
    mahdibassam wrote:
    Im switchin over to All You Can Eat very soon, waiting for it to be connected.

My downloads are mostly From Megaupload and Hotfile. can People Post the speeds they get fropm these sites?

and by the way, what is this cache thing people talk about? how do you know when a torrent is cached? and is caching just for torrents?

this is what i get now with XNET, it is pretty crap especially at nights. it would surely be better than this right?!!! (Please say yes!!!)
    You may see an improvement in overall speeds. Downloads from MU and HF will be classed in P2P category so speeds will be quite low there, been hitting download speeds of 100KB max from those sources today. No idea on what torrents are cached that's trial and error, mostly the latest (popular stuff).

8. Post
    jdogz wrote:
    You may see an improvement in overall speeds. Downloads from MU and HF will be classed in P2P category so speeds will be quite low there, been hitting download speeds of 100KB max from those sources today. No idea on what torrents are cached that's trial and error mostly the latest (popular stuff).
    thanks for the reply mate.

so then what is the point of switching to this plan? they say that it is Full speed and the max speed your line supports, but its not. isnt that a breach of the contract? there is an escape from the contract if the speed is too low.

if we cant get full speed from HF and MU and co, then where can we?

9. Post
    NZ sources only.

10. Post
    saajiik wrote:
    NZ sources only.
    But YouTube from the Orcon NZ cluster is still shaped for being "streaming"?

11. Post
    im on orcon and youtube is fine here?

12. Post
    tehyitz wrote:
    But YouTube from the Orcon NZ cluster is still shaped for being "streaming"?
    It's a bit 'meh'.

Definitely faster then most int'l streaming, but not line speed. Sometimes it's close (800kBps), but most of the time it's around 400kBps, and other times it's barely enough to keep a 480p stream from stuttering due to buffering.

13. Post
    Spotila wrote:
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 969 / 16.232

according to the thomson
    Yeah so if you are wanting multiple PC's gaming online you're going to need FS/FS

14. Post
    Switched over today, seems to be fine.

Playing WoW, was getting about 200-300ms, whereas on Telecom I was getting 250-350ms. AND I was actually able to play WoW with torrents going.

15. Post
    so from what i get, browsing and surfing speed is really good, Torrents are Really good, and downloads from sites such as MU and HF and RS are Moderate to low?

and are these 24/7? or the speeds change during different periods of the day?

please correct me if i am wrong anyone.

16. Post
    Depends on the torrents you're downloading. If they're cached, they'll be really quick (up to line speed). Otherwise, they're usually rubbish unless there're NZ seeders who haven't limited their upload rates.

17. Post
    To you guys on the plan, would you recommend this plan to someone who used to be on big time? I used to dl about 100-200gb on BT and now I'm back on Pro (ugh). Is the slingshot plan worth a go to a seasoned veteran of big times shaping policies? Or is it even worse than that?

18. Post
    On Slingshots justbroadband plan I can get about 280gig in a month for $129 so that might be worth trying out if you dont want to be frustrated with the slower speeds on the ayce plan

19. Post
    People on this plan, have u seen any improvements in speed lately? or is it **** all day long? ( Its **** from what i read!)

20. Post
    kkirkwood wrote:
    im on orcon and youtube is fine here?
    Orcon host Google servers which serve content to various NZ ISPs.

21. Post
    Fine for games all the time.
    Youtube is fine most of the time from what I've experienced.
    Rapidshare, etc. downloading seems to be completely random, even during off-peak hours. Currently downloading from rapidshare at 2 KB/sec.

Not sure what the technical term is, but I can also no longer take full advantage of multi-thread download managers. eg. Mediafire (or other hosts that allowed you to use 10 threads) I would download from at 1 MB/sec consistently on BigTime. On Slingshot AYCE, 100-200 KB/sec is the norm (if I'm lucky)

22. Post
    Porkupine wrote:
    Not sure what the technical term is, but...
    Squeezing more and more customers into the same pool of bandwidth... otherwise known as prioritisation?

23. Post
    My most important Downloads are Football matches which i download from usually Hotfile in the morning ( Like 10-11AM . what speed do you think i wud get then? or is it the same all day?

24. Post
    mahdibassam wrote:
    My most important Downloads are Football matches which i download from usually Hotfile in the morning ( Like 10-11AM . what speed do you think i wud get then? or is it the same all day?
    you pbly be getting 50-60kb per second
    well at least that how it is for me

25. Post
    Porkupine wrote:
    Fine for games all the time.
    Youtube is fine most of the time from what I've experienced.
    Rapidshare, etc. downloading seems to be completely random, even during off-peak hours. Currently downloading from rapidshare at 2 KB/sec.
    have you tried converting the URL's to ip?