Good deal thread

Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
(25 votes)

1. Post
    exis wrote:
    Beware that they have a reputation for poor service and late deliveries, which can delay shipments for several weeks for new games.
    Nope, never had a problem with their service, only when I preordered late for ArmA2 did I have to wait 2 weeks for them to get more stock, the next week after I ordered 3 more copies and they arrived in 2-3 days after I purchased.

Feliz wrote:
    Yeah just found out they ship out of the UK and take 1-2 weeks to get here - haven't checked JB's price yet, which is can be up to $10 cheaper than MA
    They ship from Hong Kong... thats where they are based.. I think they order their copies from the UK, Somewhere in Europe though..

Depends sometimes they can be slow but sometimes they are very quick and prompt on delivery. Honestly I don't see whats wrong with waiting a week or so to get something much cheaper and free shipping. Plus they all arrive sealed.

Usually when theres a problem you can send them an email and they get back to you within a day.

2. Post
    Yea should put what platform it is on when you link. Good idea.

3. Post
    What is the difference between these companies and how you buy/keep/store the games like what I mean is there an advantage that one of these companies have/better then the other companies.----( Steam, Gamersgate, Direct2drive and Impulse.)

Thanks for the help I have always bought physical games from shops/MA etc. and have not bought games from these other outlets before and I am after some friendly knowledgeable GP gamer person who has used/knows about them etc.,to be able to provide some info.
    Cheers

Oh and if you buy the physical game itself on cd/dvd which place is the best place to get it from MA,CD WOW,any others etc.

4. Post
    chaosorder wrote:
    Oh and if you buy the physical game itself on cd/dvd which place is the best place to get it from MA,CD WOW,any others etc.
    All of these outlets/companies are good enough to buy physical copies from, just buy from any of them when they offer a sale or a cheaper price over the other, thats what I do.

I've ordered from CD WOW and MA and had no problems with either.

5. Post
    chaosorder wrote:
    What is the difference between these companies and how you buy/keep/store the games like what I mean is there an advantage that one of these companies have/better then the other companies.----( Steam, Gamersgate, Direct2drive and Impulse.)
    For Direct2Drive and Impulse, you buy the games, download them through their specific download manager, and after that the game is sitting on your hard drive. You can run the manager to install updates etc, but iirc you don't need to be running it to actually play the games.

Steam is slightly different in that you need to run any game you buy on Steam through Steam. This usually means you need to log in to Steam whenever you want to play anything. There is an offline mode, but I know that some people have had issues with it, partly because you used to need to log in before you could put yourself into offline mode... which didn't really work if you had no internet. I'm not sure what this works like now. This also means that if you're Steam account gets hacked, or you forget your password etc, you won't be able to play any of your games.

I really really like Steam. I buy nearly all of my PC games through there, when I can. They have some awesome sales, and there is stuff discounted every other week. Steam also has really good community functionality. You can chat to anyone currently online, and join games your friends are playing if they support Steamworks (eg. you can join a friends server if they're playing Team Fortress 2, from the main menu). You can create and join community groups which can run live chat rooms. I used to get into all of my Left 4 Dead games through the chat room for a Penny Arcade group which would usually have 30+ people in there looking for games.

6. Post
    http://www.ozgameshop.com/

Way better than CDWOW shipping only takes a week and every game is brand new sealed. Usually cheaper than CDWOW too.

7. Post
    exis wrote:
    For Direct2Drive and Impulse, you buy the games, download them through their specific download manager, and after that the game is sitting on your hard drive. You can run the manager to install updates etc, but iirc you don't need to be running it to actually play the games.

Steam is slightly different in that you need to run any game you buy on Steam through Steam. This usually means you need to log in to Steam whenever you want to play anything. There is an offline mode, but I know that some people have had issues with it, partly because you used to need to log in before you could put yourself into offline mode... which didn't really work if you had no internet. I'm not sure what this works like now. This also means that if you're Steam account gets hacked, or you forget your password etc, you won't be able to play any of your games.

I really really like Steam. I buy nearly all of my PC games through there, when I can. They have some awesome sales, and there is stuff discounted every other week. Steam also has really good community functionality. You can chat to anyone currently online, and join games your friends are playing if they support Steamworks (eg. you can join a friends server if they're playing Team Fortress 2, from the main menu). You can create and join community groups which can run live chat rooms. I used to get into all of my Left 4 Dead games through the chat room for a Penny Arcade group which would usually have 30+ people in there looking for games.
    Steam is nice to get discounts and such, but its shit on the other hand if something goes wrong with your account like gets hacked or even banned, then you lose all your games = $$$ down the drain.

Plus if your stuck on dial up internet your ****ed.

I prefer physical copies of my games, even though I use steam to buy games which go cheap and only games which require me to run steam so I can play them, on the other hand I try to avoid steam whenever I can.

Huyi wrote:
    http://www.ozgameshop.com/

Way better than CDWOW shipping only takes a week and every game is brand new sealed. Usually cheaper than CDWOW too.
    Are these all in USD? does ozgameshop do free shipping also?

Nothing wrong with CDWOW shipping, don't know why some people complain about it, it usually took 2-3 days for me to receive my sealed copies of PC games from CDWOW, and everything was sealed brand new.

I don't see anything cheaper on that site compared to CDWOW though.. they are pretty much the same

8. Post
    ^ ozgameshop is in AUD + has free shipping.

9. Post
    Insai wrote:
    Okay cheers for that then! then hes right, it must be better then

10. Post
    russianguy192 wrote:
    Okay cheers for that then! then hes right, it must be better then
    Yep nice friendly people too. Bookmark the page, the mods quickly remove it whenever I post it.

11. Post
    Back on topic:

Borderlands Link $10 USD This one says "This product is only available for purchase in the United States, Canada, and Mexico." But I am sure someone on GP has an idea how to get around that.
    Gratuitous Space Battles Link $6.00 USD This is is available WORLDWIDE

12. Post
    Impulse Weekend Deal:-

50% off all Gratuitous Space Battles bundles.

D2D is shit.

13. Post
    Xcom Complete Bundle $5.95USD

http://www.direct2drive.com/7614/product/

D2D is fine. I purchased Bioshock and DCS Blackshark from them, haven't had any problems.

CDWOW is fine too if you don't want a day one purchase of a new game. I've purchased a couple of games from their sales and they have arrived within 3-4 days, sealed brand new.

14. Post
    Insai wrote:
    Free shipping? Even to NZ? I ask this because OzGameshop is a mirror 365games.co.uk
    Their prices are pretty damn good, if they can be trusted

15. Post
    im just quoting their FAQ :P

How much does postage cost?

Postage to Australia and New Zealand is free.
    http://www.ozgameshop.com/faqs

16. Post
    I bought Bioshock from D2D. It chewed through over 20 gig of our bandwidth before I gave up and acquired it elsewhere. I guess it was verifying files and redownloading whatever was broken. Last time I buy anything from D2D.

17. Post
    Good idea Huyi. Get this stickied and have another thread for discussion.

Also,

Garry's Mod is 50% off for the weekend making it $5USD
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/4000/

Plus, Serious Sam is on sale with 75% off the double pack $7.49USD
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4507/

18. Post
    A good steam style download system and launch system.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/explore/games/onsale

I found Lost Planet 2 for pc here released next month

http://www.impulsedriven.com/lplanet2

19. Post
    Planescape Torment $9.99usd at GOG.com

20. Post
    has anyone brought anything of ozgames? and do they only accept paypal? and lastly how is the currency converted from nz to aud?

21. Post
    Cities XL is 75% off on Steam right now and there is a new version being made which will be half price for those who bought the original. I'm wondering whether to be a dick and pay $5 for the original just to get the discount on the new version which I want

22. Post
    chavezoi wrote:
    has anyone brought anything of ozgames? and do they only accept paypal? and lastly how is the currency converted from nz to aud?
    Yup I bought tons of stuff. I just paid with my visa debit but I think they accept paypal. Paypal changes it automatically.

23. Post
    so how does the currency work with visa debit? because it seems incredibly cheap for new releases compared to nz?

24. Post
    chavezoi wrote:
    so how does the currency work with visa debit? because it seems incredibly cheap for new releases compared to nz?

Their prices are in AUD, so just convert the price to NZD on www.xe.com

Once the payment is made with your debit/credit card, the exchange is processed. Visa also charges a small currency exchange fee.

As said above, if you use paypal, when doing the payment, paypal will show you on screen how much the cost in NZD is.

25. Post
    FlipSide_nz wrote:
    Free shipping? Even to NZ? I ask this because OzGameshop is a mirror 365games.co.uk
    Their prices are pretty damn good, if they can be trusted
    Bought some PS3 games from them before, really cheap plus free shipping. Also only took 3 or 4 days for the package to get here iirc.