1. Arrow

Review: FIFA 11

Review by Joel Lauterbach;

Given that we’re talking about a sport with a fanbase that believes in clairvoyant octopi, EA’s decision to feature Wayne Rooney on the cover of FIFA 11 could’ve been construed as a bad omen. As you may know, Rooney’s performance in South Africa was at best lack-lustre.

Like all international soccer players and teams - except ours - there’s a lot of pressure on EA to perform. As is usually the case with annual updates, the game needs to demonstrate enough advances over the previous edition to justify the steep price tag. Used to be a time when buying the latest edition of an annual sports franchise was in large part simply to get the most up-to-date rosters and statistics. In that regard, EA have effectively painted themselves into a corner as the games are updated constantly with all the latest transfers.

Happily, EA have navigated these divots. FIFA 11 does so much right, and so very little wrong.
    Read more.

2. Post
    I have been playing the PC demo with gamepad and it is superb, it will be the first FIFA game I get on PC over a console.

3. Post
    Went to pick this up on Sunday, had a $50 voucher for JB.

Went there and was checking it out then the Mrs decided she wanted a GPS

4. Post
    NOMIS wrote:
    I have been playing the PC demo with gamepad and it is superb, it will be the first FIFA game I get on PC over a console.

The PC demo is a lol-fest.

The controls they display on the loading screens aren't even mapped correctly to the keyboard.

Its like the game was just made to be played with a xbox 360 controller. No keyboards allowed.

5. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    The PC demo is a lol-fest.

The controls they display on the loading screens aren't even mapped correctly to the keyboard.

Its like the game was just made to be played with a xbox 360 controller. No keyboards allowed.
    Why would anyone bother playing with a keyboard anyway

6. Post
    NOMIS wrote:
    Why would anyone bother playing with a keyboard anyway

Yes, I know these types of games should be played with a gamepad on PC, but alas, I don't currently have a gamepad.

Its just like they made no effort what so ever, they could have atleast warned me. You know, put up a caution message, "dont try to play this game with a keyboard or prepared to get smashed in the face"

7. Post
    Pulley wrote:

Dude, gutted. My sympathies.

8. Post
    I thought the PC fifa 11 was just the port of fifa 10 from console.. since it has.. well none of the new things

9. Post
    ^^^ i've been playing Fifa 11 on PC and can confirm it's not. My 2c is that it feels alot more organic. Players feel less like 'robots on a grid' if you can gather what i'm saying by that (it's a pretty bad way of putting it, i just don't know how to at the moment). Had 09 and 10 on xbox. Much happier with this than i was with 10

10. Post
    Interesting, Im normally a pes fan, But Pes 2010 had the worst Referee calls ever, So I was going to boycott pes2011, but after playing the demo I was keen, but after I went to buy it directly from Koniami, like alot of people do, find they dont sell pes games for pc on there OWN DAMN website. So they are once again boycotted. (Mightape, over charge, for most games I import or digital DL before someone says "MIGHT APE HAVE IT")

I will look into Fifa 11, I looked at Fifa 10 last year and it looked like it was from 1999, really put me off!

11. Post
    Pulley wrote:

Bro...

Badluck.

12. Post
    d0ped0g wrote:
    ^^^ i've been playing Fifa 11 on PC and can confirm it's not. My 2c is that it feels alot more organic. Players feel less like 'robots on a grid' if you can gather what i'm saying by that (it's a pretty bad way of putting it, i just don't know how to at the moment). Had 09 and 10 on xbox. Much happier with this than i was with 10
    Yea I've been playing the demo alot, it's pretty damn good. Still want a PS3 to play the superior console version tho, it runs a bit slow on my pc too. I play on my PC with a PS2 controller and USB to PS2 adapter - it's a must.

13. Post
    Meshuggah wrote:
    Interesting, Im normally a pes fan, But Pes 2010 had the worst Referee calls ever, So I was going to boycott pes2011, but after playing the demo I was keen, but after I went to buy it directly from Koniami, like alot of people do, find they dont sell pes games for pc on there OWN DAMN website. So they are once again boycotted. (Mightape, over charge, for most games I import or digital DL before someone says "MIGHT APE HAVE IT")

I will look into Fifa 11, I looked at Fifa 10 last year and it looked like it was from 1999, really put me off!

hey! FIFA 99 was an awsome game. I miss the arcade feel they had back then.

14. Post
    Yea, FIFA 99 was great, especially since you could turn down referee strictness and spam the "foul" key. Actually, does anyone know when they removed professional fouls from the FIFA series?

15. Post
    kapusta wrote:
    Actually, does anyone know when they removed professional fouls from the FIFA series?