Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Tramping Forums

Heya

Got a few of us who are up for tough physical challenges, seeing how hard we can push for endurance etc. We're wanting to tramp Ruapehu, Tongariro & Ngauruhoe in one day. I know of a few people who have done it.

Anyone else done this before? Roughly how long did it take you? How kitted up were you? I'm assuming the best time of the year to do it would be now. Planning on doing it this time next year.

I've tramped all 3 numerous times. This weekend we're heading up to the Saddle then climbing up Ngauruhoe then back down and up Tongariro.

Attached Images

2. Post
    That is an epic pic.

Have only gone up Tongariro. Ngaruahoe is apparently another 2 and a half hours apparently, not sure about Ruapehu.

Have fun!

3. Post
    It's the gap between Ruapehu & Ngauruhoe that I'm worried about! Quite a distance.

Will do!

4. Post
    Sounds fun, I've hardly done any tramping but very much enjoyed the Tongariro crossing in 2009 (I think every man and his dog has done it though..). How many km's would that be ^?

5. Post
    Tongariro crossing is a solid tramp. You have to do it at least once in your lifetime! Good times.

I'm not to sure to be honest, it's not THAT far. It's more scaling of rocks/up & down that takes so much time. Adding it up roughly we're thinking it would take about 16 hours. We'd have to be moving pretty consistently.

6. Post
    Sweet, I'd be keen to run it tbh.

7. Post
    Cpl. Pandaface wrote:
    Ruapehu is a tough walk. Lots of huge rocks to clamber over/find a path through. You probably already know, but you will need a map (or a guide, but you don't sound like the guide type), since there's not a marked track. Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a breeze in comparison. If you've already done some of the walks around there you'll have no problem completing the others. Hitting all three summits in one day sounds... challenging. Tongariro + Ngauruhoe would be at least 6-7 hours already. Ruepehu is probably 4-6 hours from the top ski-lift, and a lot longer from the base. And if you're also walking between the two, well... good luck!
    Haha that's right! It's going to be tough, will do a lot of endurance training this year that's for sure. Will probably have to start tramping at 4am!

8. Post
    In most SARs for trampers who had issues en route, the main difference between doing well and doing badly is shelter. So take a tent, and take it easy.

9. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    In most SARs for trampers who had issues en route, the main difference between doing well and doing badly is shelter. So take a tent, and take it easy.
    Good call. Will do.

10. Post
    You'd be amazed at how many people you can fit in a 2-man tent when you're cold.

11. Post
    Haha that's for sure! Nothing wrong with some manspooning to keep ya warm!

12. Post
    SOFT Flask.

Real men (like me) do the 4 peaks in a single attempt. Start with Taranaki and the move onto Ruapehu, Ngauruhoe then Tongariro. We had a driver.

Do it

13. Post
    Bull****?

You serious?

14. Post
    Yeah, Google it mate. Some old buggers did it for charity in 2009 too. It's a verrrrrry long day.

15. Post
    Impressive. You've now set me a goal for the following year. We'll do it :P

Hang on, you obviously had a driver from Taranaki to Ruapehu. After Ruapehu was completed did you drive to Tongariro to reach the saddle and up Ngauruhoe? then back down for Tongariro? Or tramp from ruapehu to ngauruhoe?

Finding it pretty hard to google btw, nothings coming up. Hell, even my thread is on the first page.

16. Post
    We're 2 weeks away from doing this! Pumped as, hopefully the weather is half decent!

17. Post
    Good luck bro! I'd love to do something like this, none of my mates are keen on this **** though, all would rather tramp to the pub and then reach the peaks of Mt Drunk.

18. Post
    Cool idea flask. If I was ever back in NZ and in shape, I'd be keen to go with. By the 3rd mountain you're going to ****ing hate it haha. Good luck

19. Post
    Wallpaper stolen. Thank you.

20. Post
    Leaving now! Will update with pics etc on Sunday or Monday yeeeow so pumped!

21. Post
    flask wrote:
    Leaving now! Will update with pics etc on Sunday or Monday yeeeow so pumped!
    What a tease.

22. Post
    Gimmi picks flask!

I want to start tramping, I need to brush up on my map reading skills and compass work again.

23. Post
    TBH Pxndx, I've never needed a compass when tramping, but then I'm tramping in the Southern Alps, where you're either travelling upstream, downstream, or straight up / straight down. Some of that North Island hill country is a different kettle of fish.

24. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    TBH Pxndx, I've never needed a compass when tramping, but then I'm tramping in the Southern Alps, where you're either travelling upstream, downstream, or straight up / straight down. Some of that North Island hill country is a different kettle of fish.
    I find it handy when you're setting a position to go to which you see in the distance. So when you walk from ridge to ridge you're still pointed in the right direction.

25. Post
    Crap! Sorry guys fully forgot to update this. Heres a little taster of our campsite. I'll write up the story on my lunchbreak, flat out now. Will also upload more pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last