Mountain Biking

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2190

1. Post
    I do 50km XC rides and am a Clydesdale, so definitely need the extra ventilation and the ability to hold a 2-3 litre bladder

2. Post
    Having rocked my Mule NV for over 5 years it's still going strong.
    Lots of room and the NV panel was much better breathing than my old pack.
    Can't fault the bladders either.

My Skyline arrived today.
    Couldn't resist 40% off.
    Dunno when I'll ever use it as #ionlyridepark these days.

3. Post
    I've never used a Camelbak but I grabbed the small and big Torpedo7 ones when they were on special. The small one is still going sweet after a year of use and fits the small stuff into the pocket and you can pack a light jacket into the straps on the outside. The water tastes like water but I find the need to bite on the mouthpiece at an angle to get a decent flow of water. The big one I only just grabbed before xmas for $40 and am yet to go on a ride long enough to warrant it

Oh and holy shit proper MTB shoes with a stiff sole make a huge difference for endurance on longer climbs over Vans - got plenty of Strava PBs on without pushing all that hard. I also have some more shoes and CB Candys on the way to try out clipless while it's dry

4. Post
    Cheers for your input guys, thinking of getting this one
    https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/...hydration-pack

5. Post
    At least get one that will fit actual food and has straps so it doesn't flop around. Unless you consider food to be a couple bars, and don't mind the bag wailing around.

AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    My Skyline arrived today.
    Couldn't resist 40% off.
    Dunno when I'll ever use it as #ionlyridepark these days.
    Use it in the park?

I've done my last couple park rides sans pack. Really miss having the water.
    Last edited by AgrAde; 10th January 2017 at 12:17 am.

6. Post
    Might stash a bottle somewhere because I much prefer riding without a bag but this one might be different.
    I'll bring it tomorrow night if I head up.

CAP really needs a drinking fountain near the pump track.

7. Post
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    CAP really needs a drinking fountain near the pump track.
    x100000

8. Post
    AgrAde wrote:
    At least get one that will fit actual food and has straps so it doesn't flop around. Unless you consider food to be a couple bars, and don't mind the bag wailing around.
    like this one or this one?

9. Post
    My 6 year old has really gotten into trail riding now. I'm just unsure how to help with his progression? Go straight into more advanced trails? Is there any point investing more into another bike or the current one he has ok?

His bike in picName:  IMG_20170108_104340755_HDR.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  111.0 KB

10. Post
    What a dude! I hope my little guy is into biking when he's older. Nice bike but if you're concerned, maybe look at safety things like tyres and brakes before riding more advanced trails. Kids are supposedly bulletproof though

11. Post
    Re: hydration packs, I have the 2L Camelbak Asset. http://www.bikewagon.com/camelbak-as...right-marigold

It's really good - heaps of internal pockets, a soft pocket for phone, external straps for a helmet and kneepads. I get hot on climbs so just strap all my gear to my back. It's great.

If I was buying again, I'd get a dark colour. My bright yellow pack looks like garbage after a few rides so keep that in mind.

12. Post
    Wow that thing is fabulous. It might just be that it's all such an even colour though, mine is white/high-viz yellow/black and it takes a lot to look dirty (and still looks fine when it is). I like riding in bright gear so that I'm seen easier. (https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/insp...ak-outside.jpg)

Mithster, yeah those will be a lot better. As long as you don't mind that you're still lacking storage space. I think it's also worth saying that if you want to carry 2L of water then get a 3L reservoir. When filled, they bulge the small packs a little and it makes them less comfortable.

And ludez, sorry i have no experience with either children or their bicycles. Rad that he's getting into it though. Consider BMX racing as well if you want to help him meet other riders and progress his skills - mountain bikers that have a race bmx history are absolute monsters on any bike you put them on and can win any event. It's a very well organised kid-central sport with heaps of little dudes and dudettes involved (unlike mtb), but it depends on what clubs you have access to. Some are great and some are absolutely toxic.

13. Post
    I got one of these

2006 commencal meta 5.2 (medium) - its 9 years old got it in 2007, its was pretty good spec at the time, but everything on it now is well, old.

still in pretty decent condition, i never use it as I have 2 newer bikes. from what I remember the gears don't always change (hard to get it to change into the granny gear).

Probably not worth much aye?

anyone need a bike super cheap, flick me an offer. I mean cheap i am even thinking about giving it away if someone wants it (you have to pay postage tho)

14. Post
    stacrafty wrote:
    I got one of these

2006 commencal meta 5.2 (medium) - its 9 years old got it in 2007, its was pretty good spec at the time, but everything on it now is well, old.

still in pretty decent condition, i never use it as I have 2 newer bikes. from what I remember the gears don't always change (hard to get it to change into the granny gear).

Probably not worth much aye?

anyone need a bike super cheap, flick me an offer. I mean cheap i am even thinking about giving it away if someone wants it (you have to pay postage tho)
    Few people still wanting decent straight taper float forks, so that'd be worth something to someone anyhow.

If anything that looks better than the 2006 Norco I just took for a smash down the Adventure park an hour ago and had a blast, still heaps of life in older bikes for various uses. Dropper 1x drivetrain and someone could ride that for a good while yet.

That photo somehow makes it look like its a 29er but being that age i presume its 26.

$500-800 no worries IMO, and the person buying would have a pretty good deal if bearings and cassettes aren't flogged, the fork alone would possibly get a few hundred on TM. Given people sometimes seem to pay stupid money for 2010 trances and shiz you never know.

15. Post
    FruitLooPs wrote:
    Few people still wanting decent straight taper float forks, so that'd be worth something to someone anyhow.

If anything that looks better than the 2006 Norco I just took for a smash down the Adventure park an hour ago and had a blast, still heaps of life in older bikes for various uses. Dropper 1x drivetrain and someone could ride that for a good while yet.

That photo somehow makes it look like its a 29er but being that age i presume its 26.

$500-800 no worries IMO, and the person buying would have a pretty good deal if bearings and cassettes aren't flogged, the fork alone would possibly get a few hundred on TM. Given people sometimes seem to pay stupid money for 2010 trances and shiz you never know.
    yeah its a 26'

wow more than i thought, will stick it on tardeme

16. Post
    Anyone got particular shoe recommendations, for flats?

My 5.10's are worn basically through the sole and nearly innersole so i'm in for a super nasty surprise one of these rides.. They're so bendy now that my arches are getting a reaming since the park opened.

My first flats were 5.10 spitfires, were ok but toebox was pretty soft and i smashed my bigtoe a good few times. Then the current pair 5.10 Macaskill freeride model that lasted okayish and seemed fine for toes.

Thoughts?

17. Post
    classic freeriders or impacts.

18. Post
    capriv8 wrote:
    What a dude! I hope my little guy is into biking when he's older. Nice bike but if you're concerned, maybe look at safety things like tyres and brakes before riding more advanced trails. Kids are supposedly bulletproof though
    It's great that he's taken to biking, he could ride his bmx down the 6ft ramps at the park when he was 3. Glad he's not into ****ing scooters.

Would putting on dislike brakes be a mission?

19. Post
    FruitLooPs wrote:
    Anyone got particular shoe recommendations, for flats?

My 5.10's are worn basically through the sole and nearly innersole so i'm in for a super nasty surprise one of these rides.. They're so bendy now that my arches are getting a reaming since the park opened.

My first flats were 5.10 spitfires, were ok but toebox was pretty soft and i smashed my bigtoe a good few times. Then the current pair 5.10 Macaskill freeride model that lasted okayish and seemed fine for toes.

Thoughts?
    Despite what AgrAde will tell you, the Impact VXi is a great shoe.
    Nearly as grippy as the regular Impacts but much lighter, doesn't look like a moon boot, has a stiff sole but has toe articulation so it's much better for walking in.
    They've lasted me a good couple of years with minimal sole degradation but that's probably from the lack of miles I do.
    It's the best trail shoe for me.
    I still have regular Impacts for better protection in the bike park.

Also from today's experiment, no backpack >>> Skyline 10L.
    Still feel the weight on me and the hose kept hitting my helmet.
    Will be great for the trailbike though.
    I'll stash a bottle of water in a bush like I used to do in Worsleys.

20. Post
    Well shit. My bike was stolen today. I came out to my car after work to an empty bike rack and broken lock. One of the busiest streets in town and only had a few hour's window. It's insured with AA at a specified value but the guy I spoke to today has put the shits up me saying they will likely give me an equivalent bike/replacement. That would not do at all considering the only factory items on that thing was the wheels, cranks and fork. I've even modified the geometry to fit my needs. There isn't another one like it, and that's why I went for specified value - to cover my costs. The case handler will be ringing me tomorrow to discuss options, so maybe i'm jumping the gun getting worried but I don't want to end up with some shitty Scott thing because it has a "similar spec" on paper. ****.

21. Post
    Oh man that's rough
    If they won't give you the agreed specified value, get the manager on.

22. Post
    Man that sucks!
    I know a guy that had his bike stolen from a busy street in chch. Broke his rack that it was locked to and took it. Middle of the day too.

23. Post
    Sucks about the bike man. Hope AMI comes through for you. Go to a bike shop and get a letter describing the uniqueness, argue that you were misled into thinking it was agreed value.

15? Rides on my impact vxis. Sole ungluing at the heel, almost through the rubber in a couple bits from pedal pins. Once its through it'll start ungluing itself around the holes and then it will feel all squirmy. Still lasting longer than the first pair though I think.
    Last edited by AgrAde; 11th January 2017 at 12:02 am.

24. Post
    AgrAde wrote:
    15? Rides on my impact vxis. Sole ungluing at the heel, almost through the rubber in a couple bits from pedal pins. Still lasting longer than the first pair though I think.
    Ended up going with Freerider VXI apparently with some different stickier compound than the macaskills had, should be good times

Capriv8 that sucks hard, people are so scummy Fingers crossed you can wring them out for a proper amount. I got shafted on a replacement motorbike helmet a few years ago that still leaves me

25. Post
    Yeah, the stickier rubber is glued to a stiffer sole. The bonding isn't strong enough to keep them together. Hopefully the freeriders are better but I think they're the same design/materials.

I'm counting on resoling mine with the resole kit, which is a harder rubber. Ideally with a better adhesive.
    Last edited by AgrAde; 11th January 2017 at 12:30 am.