Mountain Biking

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 2371

1. Post
    Thanks lads. Email sent to AA detailing bike value so hopefully get some confirmation today. I'm really gutted as I was going to enter Topgun endure at the end of the month and had been training for it. When I originally discussed the bike insurance with AA they recommended using the value given by a bike shop, so there should really be no problem.

I bought some canvas upper Five Ten Freerider shoes last month. The original Freeriders I bought in Oct 2012 are still going strong believe it or not - no delamination or anything, just getting worn out in the sole. Amazing quality. They're now my back up shoes.

I've heard Adidas acquired Five Ten and now quality is slipping. Hope that's only hearsay.

2. Post
    That sucks capriv8! hope they don't stiff you with the payout, or drag it out. This is why I said last year about getting the bike shop to list everything on my bike, as it is completely custom, if they just went my the frame they'd be thousands of dollars off what its replacement cost would be.

3. Post
    capriv8 wrote:
    I bought some canvas upper Five Ten Freerider shoes last month. The original Freeriders I bought in Oct 2012 are still going strong believe it or not - no delamination or anything, just getting worn out in the sole. Amazing quality. They're now my back up shoes.

I've heard Adidas acquired Five Ten and now quality is slipping. Hope that's only hearsay.
    That happened years ago. They've apparently sorted some of the problems. A lot of their 2017 range look really good imo, I want their winter shoes.

Still got my original freeriders too from a similar era along with two pairs of danny macs. They're all still perfect apart from the soles which are shredded. I'd keep buying them but they're not stiff enough.

4. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    That sucks capriv8! hope they don't stiff you with the payout, or drag it out. This is why I said last year about getting the bike shop to list everything on my bike, as it is completely custom, if they just went my the frame they'd be thousands of dollars off what its replacement cost would be.
    I took your advice thankfully! Shop quote took into account all the fruit I'd attached to it Ideally I will spend the entire amount on another bike, but go for something built to the ideal spec right off the bat - easier to insure.

5. Post
    Cheers for the advice guys, I've decided to go for the Octane XCT
    Also finally made it to eskdale today, but forgot to start strava properly so couldn't track my ride :/ All I know is I had a blast, even in the crazy Hawkes Bay heat! I demo'd a 750ml water, half my super pump, on the drive home a vanilla coke and a Powerade Zero, and through lunch, another vanilla coke. Can't remember the last time I drank that much and wasn't drunk!
    Last edited by Mithster18; 12th January 2017 at 2:12 pm.

6. Post
    Biking's thirsty work! Looks like a good pack

7. Post
    Yeah should be mint. The hip pockets are nice because you can get to them without taking the pack off.

8. Post
    Ive got an octane 18. Got it for Motatapu a few years back and I've just gotten used to riding with tools, tube, jacket and first aid kit xD. Bloody good for long ride though can cram all kinds in it.

9. Post
    I just got a leatt dbx 4.5. Was surprised and how "loose" it fits, like it moves round heaps compared to my last one (some budget one I got off ebay) that had straps etc and was super ridged. But took it into a bike shop and the leatt braces are meant to be like that.

10. Post
    Are you using the smallest clip size (red clips) to make it for better? Leatt are so good. Piece of mind ftw

11. Post
    capriv8 wrote:
    Are you using the smallest clip size (red clips) to make it for better? Leatt are so good. Piece of mind ftw
    well change to the smallest clips, its a large after all but thats what the size chart said I was

12. Post
    getting the hang of the 440 downhill track, lots of fun! just wish it wasnt an hours drive each way from where i live

13. Post
    Did you watch the racing there recently? Some fast riders made it along

14. Post
    I heard back from insurance yesterday - Now I have a hard decision to make.

Red or black

All going well I should be riding by the end of the month - and able to compete in the Topgun enduro race!

15. Post
    Leaning towards red but get the feeling the darker colours will age better.

16. Post
    I just talked to the distributor - apparently the red is more of a salmon, so I've ordered black. Should have it in 2 weeks!

17. Post
    Sweet, I prefer the black, good to see it worked out in your favour in the end

18. Post
    What is it? pivots all look identical to me. I reckon the black works better with those lines.

Looks long and low, I'm glad pivot have finally come around to the modern way of doing things because their suspension has always performed well.
    Last edited by AgrAde; 18th January 2017 at 3:39 pm.

19. Post
    It's the 2017 Firebird. In depth review here of the version I've picked up http://flowmountainbike.com/tests/te...bon-pro-xtxtr/

20. Post
    capriv8 wrote:
    I just talked to the distributor - apparently the red is more of a salmon, so I've ordered black. Should have it in 2 weeks!

fn nice dude

nah i should have went along and watched, would be good to see how the better riders handled some sections.

I am beginning to thinking faster is better for off camber rooty stuff, when i go slow or brake to much tend to slip more it seems.

21. Post
    Faster is better in my experience. On short wet off camber roots I try to keep the bike lightly weighted. I also presume I'm going to end up moving across/down the camber somewhat, so compensate taking a higher line than if it were dry.

If you guys want to kill some time and get nerdy with your bikes - there's a really good blog here from a guy who has analysed the linkage design on hundreds of bikes and reports on their pedalling efficiency, anti squat characteristics, progressivity of travel etc. Every bike I can think of is in here (even the later version of my old frame) so it's a fun read.

You'll need to open the page in translate though, as it's in Spanish - or if you have chrome it should auto-translate.

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.nz/
    Last edited by capriv8; 19th January 2017 at 1:05 pm.

22. Post
    Yeah, it's a fun website to nerd out on.

Particularly interesting are high pivot frames with idlers. Check this out:
    http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.nz/...-275-2017.html

On all conventional designs the pedal kickback is directly related to the anti-squat. The more anti-squat, the more pedal kickback. The high pivot + idler means that you can have a bunch of anti-squat with very low kickback. Riding this frame, it's clear that that's exactly what you're getting. It climbs amazingly and doesn't need a lockout even while standing and stomping, yet it's super plush and active over roots etc. It's the only bike I've ridden that can do it.

Unfortunately the leverage ratio is retarded.

23. Post
    Interesting read that, I'd love to ride a few different frames back to back to see what these attributes feel like out on the trail. Have you ridden one of these Craftworks?

24. Post
    Yeah, I got to spend a few hours on one. This is what they look like built up:

Name:  crafty.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  674.1 KB

25. Post
    It looks awesome. Reading a bit on ridemonkey about the bike and apparently under gentle braking on slopes the rear wheel hangs up and the frame and rider continue forward. Not really a limitation of the bike but must be a weird sensation.