Mountain Biking

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2369

1. Post
    capriv8 wrote:
    Yeah T7 ship bikes. May even do it for free to support the cause
    T7 sorted me out for cheap, so all done, the bike hadn't been used in 3-4 years happy to give it to a good cause

2. Post
    Good man

3. Post
    Does anyone know what these lights are like?

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/...t---1500-lumen

4. Post
    Few snaps to the Rimutaka Incline excursion, did it on tuesday, so missed all the bad weather.

Last edited by Mithster18; 14th July 2017 at 11:21 pm.

5. Post
    That's some beautiful country

6. Post
    Hey bikers.

I'm going to pick up a new bike shortly and need some sensei like advice.

Basically, I want a bike that can I ride Signal Hill / bike park type downhill tracks, but I also want to be able ride to the local trails and back home. The clincher for getting rid of my old downhill bike was not really being able to use it without shuttling.

I'm also vaguely considering doing the contact epic, though current fitness level means it would be more for a look at the area than to actually do it in a respectable time. I guess I could do this on the hardtail I have but if I'm forking out for a new bike, I'd prefer to be able to ride it.

I've looked at a Trance 1, a Remedy 8 and a Stumpjumper Comp. A process 111 also seems like an option but I can't get them locally so a bit hesitant to gamble on something with so little travel, it does seem like a cool idea though.

The Remedy seems like it might be pain in the arse to pedal around if not facing well downhill?
    The Trance feels pretty light, is it going to be all good for road gaps / rock gardens etc?
    Stumpjumper...dunno just felt like the other two bikes were better options?

As another option, LBS has a Yeti Sb5c which would probably also fit the bill but would be right at the top of the budget, it does seem more glorious than the other bikes though. I think they are a few years old now - would they still be a good option or is a newer design a better way to go?

7. Post
    So after much debate ive ordered an intense tracer with renthal carbon fat bar. All going well i should get it by sunday

Hopefully its worth the cost >.<
    Last edited by ilikepie2; 16th July 2017 at 4:00 pm.

8. Post
    ilikepie2 wrote:
    So after much debate ive ordered an intense tracer with renthal carbon fat bar. All going well i should get it by sunday

Hopefully its worth the cost >.<
    Yeah it's a bit of an ask wanting a bike to do the biggest mtb race in NZ, but also do roadgaps and park. The tracer is pretty sick bit of kit though, so maybe it'll be the quiver killer machine you're after.

I've got one of the previous gen Trances, I've done the contact epic and it was mint it was all good on most trails at the chch adventure park except maybe lacking brakes vs a more enduro based machine, i've chucked it down some rock gardens and it copes but definitely isn't as good as a DH or later enduro bike would be - and i wouldn't hit big stuff repeatedly because it does seem pretty lightly built for it.

If it were me, i'd decide realistically whether i'll do more trail, or DH and go with the bike thats leaning in that direction. Hopefully the tracer meets your needs, I wouldn't mind a crack on one

I wonder how the new longer travel 29ers like jeffsy/hightower ride, never really warmed to 29er feel on previous bikes i've tried.

9. Post
    had an awesome 2 days at skyline rotorua, with a mates birthday party in the middle. Riding and fresh air (and it was pretty fresh) cures hangovers

10. Post
    stacrafty wrote:
    had an awesome 2 days at skyline rotorua, with a mates birthday party in the middle. Riding and fresh air (and it was pretty fresh) cures hangovers
    Whats skyline like? The trails look a bit limited based on the quick look I had at their map.

11. Post
    Melchiah wrote:
    Hey bikers.
    • Basically, I want a bike that can I ride Signal Hill / bike park type downhill tracks, but I also want to be able ride to the local trails and back home. The clincher for getting rid of my old downhill bike was not really being able to use it without shuttling.

My old 26" AM bike (150 front/rear) was plenty capable on Signal Hill. I went to that from a new Giant Glory. You could ride just about anything fast on 95% of signal hill. Being able to ride up the big easy during the week was so good. Are you aware of the shuttles though? Very cheap and run on Sundays, and Wednesdays too (I think, during summer). Good bunch of people to get to know.

• I'm also vaguely considering doing the contact epic, though current fitness level means it would be more for a look at the area than to actually do it in a respectable time. I guess I could do this on the hardtail I have but if I'm forking out for a new bike, I'd prefer to be able to ride it.
    • The Remedy seems like it might be pain in the arse to pedal around if not facing well downhill? The Trance feels pretty light, is it going to be all good for road gaps / rock gardens etc? Stumpjumper...dunno just felt like the other two bikes were better options?

Friend of mine just upgraded from a 2017 Trance to a new Jeffsy 27. He's blown away by it. Specs are really good and it does everything (everything!) better than the Trance could. I think that would fit the bill really well for what you want to do.

• As another option, LBS has a Yeti Sb5c which would probably also fit the bill but would be right at the top of the budget, it does seem more glorious than the other bikes though. I think they are a few years old now - would they still be a good option or is a newer design a better way to go?

This might be a "test ride it and see" type of thing.

12. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    Whats skyline like? The trails look a bit limited based on the quick look I had at their map.
    Its really awesome, most of the tracks are fast flow tracks with jumps and stuff thats suitable for intermediate to advanced.

You can just keep hitting stuff faster and faster which i really like. Not heaps of tracks so maybe its lacking a bit in variety, but i really like it.

13. Post
    So guys just got back from bike shop picking helmet etc this is the final part list for my monster

Tracer frame grey
    Fox x2 + 36 kashima
    Fox transfer dropper kashima
    Chain guide all tho im unsure of the brand as that was an extra over the phone
    Maxxis minion tyres
    Renthal carbon bars
    Renthal stem
    FSA DX Pro Headset
    - ODI Elite flow
    - SDG Duster P
    - Shimano XT Crankset
    - Shimano XT 11spd Derailleur, Shifter and chain
    - Shimano Saint brakes with 203mm Ice-tech rotors
    - Stans Flow MK3 on Stans Neo hubs
    - diety tmac pedals

14. Post
    I hope you bought a Kali helmet. Best in the business

Now get some pics up!

15. Post
    capriv8 wrote:
    I hope you bought a Kali helmet. Best in the business

Now get some pics up!
    Naww haha just got a fox one for now was still $500 will see how it goes. But can still change my mind on sat/sun when ever i pick it up only reason i really went to shop today was to get a rough total price and im pretty happy with it

Pics will come dont you worry

If you know of a way to speed couriers up please let me know :P

Dropper post wasnt ordered till after 5 today so they wont get that till wednesday at the earliest
    Last edited by ilikepie2; 17th July 2017 at 8:55 pm.

16. Post
    ilikepie2 wrote:
    Naww haha just got a fox one for now was still $500 will see how it goes. But can still change my mind on sat/sun when ever i pick it up only reason i really went to shop today was to get a rough total price and im pretty happy with it

Pics will come dont you worry

If you know of a way to speed couriers up please let me know :P

Dropper post wasnt order till after 5 today so they wont get that till wednesday at the earliest
    I like the progression from $3-4k bikes, to a carbon fibre dream build Good shit

17. Post
    capriv8 wrote:
    I like the progression from $3-4k bikes, to a carbon fibre dream build Good shit
    Took me a couple of months to settle on a frame tho lol

yeah the other half isnt to happy but you only live once

My reasoning is if i spend 3-4k on a bike it may last me 12-18months before its not enough bike for me then after that you look into the 5-8k range.

So i figure why not spend that upfront and have a bike i can just ride, enjoy and not have to worry about changing parts etc

Thats how i make myself sleep at night anyway lol. And plus the fact how many tracers are actually around atm
    Last edited by ilikepie2; 17th July 2017 at 9:25 pm.

18. Post
    It's also cool how the "dream build" is how it comes "stock"

Well, pretty much anyway. There's not a lot I'd change from that part list. Can't say that about many builds!

19. Post
    AgrAde wrote:
    It's also cool how the "dream build" is how it comes "stock"

Well, pretty much anyway. There's not a lot I'd change from that part list. Can't say that about many builds!
    Im actually pretty stoked with how the bike shop have been with getting it all sorted they are as excited as i am

Have booked in a few days off work and plan to take it to the bike park in rotorua should be fun times

If anyone knows anyone looking for a dropper post ill have a brand new marzocchi one come the weekend that i need to get rid of
    Last edited by ilikepie2; 17th July 2017 at 10:02 pm.

20. Post
    I ****ing love how it comes with saint brakes. Hooning around on that thing has almost convinced me to replace my XTR brakes with Zees or Saints...

21. Post
    The bigger rotors I put on the trailbike was my way of convincing myself I don't need Zees on it after using the ones on the big bike.
    So far so good

Are those Stans hubs the same ones that have been blowing up?

22. Post
    Nah, the new ones are better than the old ones.

Turns out the old ones are like mavics where you need to check them every time you take the wheel out Going to wait till the (favourable) review on the intense is out before I try to schmooze wide open for some spare bits to fix that....

I thought bigger rotors made up for it, but... going back took some getting used to.

23. Post
    The stans hubs still might be replaced but wont doing that for a little while

24. Post
    So bigger rotors make a noticeable difference? I need to replace the front disc on my bike - it's quite worn

25. Post
    Yup.
    Better bite, power and cooling at the expense of modulation and weight.