Dota 2

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    Lumb3r wrote:
    'it has to be different to dota to stand a chance'

Is that some kind of a joke statement? Do you even follow DOTA?

If DOTA2 strays near hon or lol it's just going to lose it's anticipated player base.

So many of you are making generalized statements about dota that may have applied many years ago. The current metagame is constantly evolving in competitive dota. I think your preconceived notions of the game are based on pubs.
    You are pretty far removed from reality if you think DOTA even has a fanbase any more. Like them or not, the vast vast vast majority of former DOTA players have moved on to either HoN or LoL.

2. Post
    gpig wrote:
    Have these teams played dota2 yet or will it be their first time when competing in the tournament? lol
    What I read said they have been "training" so I guess they've been training with DOTA 2 or DOTA 2 is a clone of DOTA with fancier graphics lol

3. Post
    They've trained for like 2 weeks now, will ave 1 month under their belts by the toruny.

4. Post
    Beta has been out since November 2010 lol.

Professional teams have been slaving away at the game, getting at least some practice (not sure how long exactly), so don't worry, they understand how it works.

Gabe Newell quote:
    I have had the good fortune to watch the competitors as they prepare for the tournament, and the level of play is extraordinary.

As for Beta for us:
    Valve is targeting this fall for a large scale beta.
    Fall = September-November right?

5. Post
    Oh, trees are still in

Lol.

6. Post
    I just hope they add in new features like incentive to stay til the end of the game, a ladder system and ability to reconnect

7. Post
    I'm far removed from reality for thinking DOTA has a fanbase? LOL.

I think it's you that needs a reality check, because last time I checked DOTA has a bigger player base than any other game of its type. Icefrog confirmed that the dota player base including china/asia is around 13-15 million.

Yep, that's no fanbase right?

8. Post
    Lumb3r wrote:

I think it's you that needs a reality check, because last time I checked DOTA has a bigger player base than any other game of its type. Icefrog confirmed that the dota player base including china/asia is around 13-15 million.

13-15 million, thats quite an impressive number

Where does he get his data

9. Post
    Lumb3r wrote:
    Icefrog confirmed that the dota player base including china/asia is around 13-15 million.
    source?

knew it had a solid player base but didnt know it was that big. even so, a lot of people have been waiting for this to come out based on the original dota and saying that for it to be popular they need to change up the gameplay significantly is retarded. why change a winning formula? most of if not everybody who plays dota atm will be considering moving to Dota2 if its the same game but with improved graphics, so depending on how popular that is atm is just a fraction of how popular dota2 will be

10. Post
    Lumb3r wrote:

Yes, you are and no it doesn't. Icefrog is talking out of his ass in a huge way and if you honestly believe those figures then I have several wonderful investment opportunities for you. DOTA's remaining fanbase/playerbase are all die-hard fanboys, which makes up an extremely small number in total and yes they sure as hell would love a straight remake but if that's all DOTA 2 ends up being then I sure hope you are still posting 2 months after release when the fanbase is a tiny fraction of LoL.

Your figures mean that there would have to be several times more people playing DOTA than the number who even purchased WC3.

11. Post
    we have LoL's info right here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6325622...on?tag=nl.e579

15 mill registered... 1.4 million players play league of legends every day

Wheres Dota's stats?

(I'm simply stirring it up, i wanna see a winner. im not arguing which is more popular because i know zilch about dota.)

12. Post
    Lumb3r wrote:

im not confirming nor denying the claims above but it is certainly nothing to be taken aback by

yes, the majority of the western playerbase have moved onto LoL & HoN but dota is still extremely, extremely popular in asia, esp china.

13. Post
    Celticknife wrote:
    Your figures mean that there would have to be several times more people playing DOTA than the number who even purchased WC3.
    sounds reasonable tbh. esp in Asia

14. Post
    clelcaz wrote:
    we have LoL's info right here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6325622...on?tag=nl.e579

15 mill registered... 1.4 million players play league of legends every day

Wheres Dota's stats?

(I'm simply stirring it up, i wanna see a winner. im not arguing which is more popular because i know zilch about dota.)
    There is no centralized system to calculate all Dota players since its a war3 mod. most people are probably playing on pirated versions. the stats of 15-20 million players is probably taken from the number of times the newest updated map gets downloaded

Edit: of all the people i know that play dota, i think there's only 1 person who has a legit copy of war3 lol. and dont even get me started on piracy in china

15. Post
    15 million calculated from downloads of dota is flawed, since you gotta download a new version every time...

Anyway, i'm not concerned whats happening in china. I don't live there, I don't speak the language and I certainly don't play online games with them.

I'm more concerned about what is popular in the western world because it is relevant to me and that is LoL by a landslide.

I'd imagine Valve are more interested in the western community also, being a western based company.

16. Post
    I'd imagine Valve are more interested in the western community also, being a western based company.

Really? I'm sure Valve doesn't care about player base, advertisements, the sheer population that Asian countries have. Last I heard, game companies don't give two shits about profit. It's all about who plays their game. If they get the demographic they're interested in, they'll be happy with that lol.

17. Post
    Bt wrote:
    I'd imagine Valve are more interested in the western community also, being a company that likes selling games instead of having them pirated.
    Fixed.

18. Post
    Lumb3r wrote:

Really? I'm sure Valve doesn't care about player base, advertisements, the sheer population that Asian countries have. Last I heard, game companies don't give two shits about profit. It's all about who plays their game. If they get the demographic they're interested in, they'll be happy with that lol.
    You really are out of touch with reality

19. Post
    Bt wrote:
    We'll just have to wait and see what happens won't we

As far as I can see though, LoL has millions more players than DOTA so I don't see why they wouldn't want to emulate that success
    A: I can only give estimates based on getdota.com usage, because I can't track ingame downloads or fansites or downloads from China. It is roughly estimated (based on the statistics from popular Chinese sites) that the Chinese DotA audience is about 40-50% of the worldwide audience. Not counting China, the playerbase is estimated to be somewhere between 7-11 million. I expect the audience to grow even more in the not too distant future.
    http://www.playdota.com/forums/blogs...2/q-session-4/

the ACTIVE player base is most probably somewhere between 14-22 million.

also LoL heavily exaggerates their player base by counting every log in/free/beta signups etc as active players.
    from what i see LoL only has 1-3million currently ACTIVE players

20. Post
    Celticknife wrote:
    You are pretty far removed from reality if you think DOTA even has a fanbase any more. Like them or not, the vast vast vast majority of former DOTA players have moved on to either HoN or LoL.
    you're far removed from the fact that china dominates dota, and the fact that DOTA exists big in china, you're basing your comments on living in NZ and aussie thinking that your community is the end all. sorry buddy but on TV they play dota 24/7 in china.

21. Post
    Deaduar3 wrote:
    http://www.playdota.com/forums/blogs...2/q-session-4/

the ACTIVE player base is most probably somewhere between 14-22 million.

also LoL heavily exaggerates their player base by counting every log in/free/beta signups etc as active players.
    from what i see LoL only has 1-3million currently ACTIVE players
    And you are telling me Dota hasn't?

After everyone pretty much agreed LoL is the biggest for the western market.... but "china" is why dota is bigger overall.

Now you're saying LoL is 1-3 million world wide, and dota is 14-22 million world wide?

Obviously those 14-22 million are not active players... they are ALSO statistics(EDIT: no they're not.. they're complete guesses) of people giving it a go, or registering a fansite account 6 years ago, etc.

22. Post
    Bt wrote:
    13-15 million, thats quite an impressive number

Where does he get his data
    basically China has several programs like garena, and i can attest to this and basically there are like 2000 rooms each with 250 slots and this is ****n hard to get into every room is always full, everyday 24/7, and prodominently every game on the computers at the netcafe is dota or their version of CS, Crossfire.. these games are super popluar so i guess that makes up a large large fan base

23. Post
    clelcaz wrote:
    And you are telling me Dota hasn't?

After everyone pretty much agreed LoL is the biggest for the western market.... but "china" is why dota is bigger overall.

Now you're saying LoL is 1-3 million world wide, and dota is 14-22 million world wide?

Obviously those 14-22 million are not active players... they are ALSO statistics(EDIT: no they're not.. they're complete guesses) of people giving it a go, or registering a fansite account 6 years ago, etc.
    have you ever actually been outside of NZ and checked out the dota scene OUTSIDE of NZ ? seriously get a clue noob.

24. Post
    I'm out of touch with reality for pointing out to you how stupid you're being? Fair enough rofl.

25. Post
    Hallucinogen_ wrote:
    seriously get a clue noob.
    Stay classy.