Dota 2

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    Hallucinogen_ wrote:
    have you ever actually been outside of NZ and checked out the dota scene OUTSIDE of NZ ? seriously get a clue noob.
    Because the fact i reside in NZ means i have no idea about the international scene.....

But the fact you reside in NZ, isn't an obstacle at all for you knowing about the international scene...

Were talking about a guess made by icefrog, using stats from playdota.com and chinese sites.

he said: I can only give estimates based on getdota.com usage. then he said Not counting China, the playerbase is estimated to be somewhere between 7-11 million.

he's guessing, based off a website (which is probably registered accounts), which probably date back to when dota was released.

He then claims china makes up 40-50% of the global player base... based off chinese sites... -.-

2. Post
    Deaduar3 wrote:
    http://www.playdota.com/forums/blogs...2/q-session-4/

the ACTIVE player base is most probably somewhere between 14-22 million.

also LoL heavily exaggerates their player base by counting every log in/free/beta signups etc as active players.
    from what i see LoL only has 1-3million currently ACTIVE players
    I see him talking about estimates but no hard numbers unfortunately

He also says there are that many players due to how many downloads he has gotten of the map

That means for each version that comes out, he is counting every download as a new user

Isn't quite a fair representation of people who play currently

Its like saying 38978275893785 people have ever accessed youtube, so thats how many people access it daily

Anyway, IDC. Dota isn't the most popular MOBA in the west anymore, and thats all I care about.

3. Post
    Bt wrote:
    I see him talking about estimates but no hard numbers unfortunately

He also says there are that many players due to how many downloads he has gotten of the map

That means for each version that comes out, he is counting every download as a new user

Isn't quite a fair representation of people who play currently

Its like saying 38978275893785 people have ever accessed youtube, so thats how many people access it daily

Anyway, IDC. Dota isn't the most popular MOBA in the west anymore, and thats all I care about.
    just wondering, how do you now that he is counting the accumulative downloads of every version of the dota map, and not just the amount of downloads on the most recent map?

also just as a question to everyone. if you changed from dota to hon/lol, what's the reason?

4. Post
    EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY

5. Post
    albusfr wrote:
    just wondering, how do you now that he is counting the accumulative downloads of every version of the dota map, and not just the amount of downloads on the most recent map?

also just as a question to everyone. if you changed from dota to hon/lol, what's the reason?
    If 15 million people are downloading each successive version, i'd be pretty surprised

Tell you what, prove it and i'll buy you a coke

6. Post
    Bt wrote:
    If 15 million people are downloading each successive version, i'd be pretty surprised

Tell you what, prove it and i'll buy you a coke
    o i never said anything about proving it i honestly just don't know if those numbers are accumulative downloads of all versions or numbers of each successive iteration of the map

7. Post
    albusfr wrote:
    o i never said anything about proving it i honestly just don't know if those numbers are accumulative downloads of all versions or numbers of each successive iteration of the map
    Neither do I but I think if he was getting that amount of download per release, he'd be bragging about it, wouldn't he? :P

8. Post
    Dota 2 is a Valve game - all they have to do to be successful is to provide TF2 hats to unlock. All the fickle sheep will flock to it then.

Obligatory post of this shit song.

9. Post
    Valve to kick it off with a bang, good bye to LoL and HoN.

10. Post
    anyway you fools are missing the big big picture... DOTA 2 has a 1 million dollar prize, how much does HON or LOL have atm ?

really ? REALLY ? OWNED. ENDED!

11. Post
    Hallucinogen_ wrote:
    anyway you fools are missing the big big picture... DOTA 2 has a 1 million dollar prize, how much does HON or LOL have atm ?

yeah valve is actually so smart with their advertising. If they make this a somewhat regular thing (maybe once a year for the first 2-3 years) they'll be able to entice all those players from LoL, HoN AND the old dota crowd to dota2. even if they don't do any TV spots or hire massive advertising space everywhere it'll probably spread very well by word of mouth

12. Post
    LoL had 500,000 prize pool for their last tournament, so its significantly bigger, but hey its Valve one of the hugest gaming companies in the world so its expected

I don't think anyone here isn't excited about DOTA 2 though, so i'm not sure of your point. Will be watching every game of this tournament for sure.

13. Post
    Haha holy crap, are these guys really trying to argue that DOTA has 22 million players based on pure guesswork?

Hahahah A+ trolling or sub-50 IQ, either way great job you made me laugh.

14. Post
    not sure about every game, but game 1 will have such a record breaking amount of viewers. not so much for the match itself but as a first glimpse of the game

15. Post
    I know that every HoN, LoL, DotA player, evey gaming press and even general technology press will be there for least the first game and the finals. I bet atleast 1/2 the sc2 community will be watching too. I wonder what the numbers will reach, my guess is over 1million viewers on the 1st day.

Man valve really know how to make a splash and I'm greatful for it, this great for the genre I enjoy and epic for esports!

16. Post
    theres 7 billion people in the world, 22 million people playing dota is not an unattainable figure.

17. Post
    Hallucinogen_ wrote:
    theres 7 billion people in the world, 22 million people playing dota is not an unattainable figure.
    Its not believeable either, unless you're Hallucinogen

18. Post
    Hallucinogen_ wrote:

You're delusional. Last i checked, you were arguing about DotA, not Dota 2. We all are looking forward to how Dota 2 turns out... but we were saying we hope Dota 2 ISN'T just a gfx upgrade of DotA.

To come back, after getting the shit kicked out of you, and change your whole topic to Dota 2's prize pool.... You're a joke.

DotA has some shitty 20k tournament... and a 'yet to be announced' 30k prize pool tournament. THAT'S what you should be comparing to LoL's 500k prize pool.

19. Post
    clelcaz wrote:
    You're delusional. Last i checked, you were arguing about DotA, not Dota 2. We all are looking forward to how Dota 2 turns out... but we were saying we hope Dota 2 ISN'T just a gfx upgrade of DotA.

To come back, after getting the shit kicked out of you, and change your whole topic to Dota 2's prize pool.... You're a joke.

DotA has some shitty 20k tournament... and a 'yet to be announced' 30k prize pool tournament. THAT'S what you should be comparing to LoL's 500k prize pool.
    lol 20k/30k is shitty?

20. Post
    gpig wrote:
    lol 20k/30k is shitty?
    When he's trying to say how much better DotA is then LoL? sure is shitty in comparison

21. Post
    LOL dota 2 to own. Can't wait!!

22. Post
    The other thing that I'm not sure if anyone has touched on yet is that if the majority of current DotA players are playing on services like Garena using pirated copies, they are unlikely to purchase DotA 2. Valve doesn't give a shit about the number of people playing on third party servers, they care about how many sales they are going to get and how many players are playing legitimately.

23. Post
    Celticknife wrote:
    The other thing that I'm not sure if anyone has touched on yet is that if the majority of current DotA players are playing on services like Garena using pirated copies, they are unlikely to purchase DotA 2. Valve doesn't give a shit about the number of people playing on third party servers, they care about how many sales they are going to get and how many players are playing legitimately.
    You're assuming Dota 2 will have a box price....

Chances are it will be free to play...

24. Post
    clelcaz wrote:
    You're assuming Dota 2 will have a box price....

Chances are it will be free to play...
    Perhaps, although at this stage, and knowing Valve I doubt it.

25. Post
    Man i'm like 99% sure its going to be F2P

I bet you a pie it will be