Adventures with a Weber BBQ

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    Nice work Supra, sounds good

Hope your roasts went well Spanked.

I tried something a little different tonight, but forgot pics! (things were a bit hectic on the homefront - kids!)

I had a nice big piece of Skirt Steak I got from Farro a while ago, so used that. Got 3 corn cobs from the farmers market this morning.

Cooked the corn my usual way by peeling back the husk, remove the silk, fold the husk back down, soak for an hour in water. Then cook indirect on the Weber kettle for 1:15.

After prepping the corn I marinated the skirt in a baggie with dried oregano, smoked paprika, sumac, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar, rice bran oil, liquid smoke, and garlic.

While corn was cooking I made a salsa with tomato, spring onion, red onion, and a vinaigrette in the processor with a handful of fresh basil and parsley, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, dijon mustard. One cooked corn cob was later stripped of its kernels which went into the salsa with the vinaigrette.

Skirt steak went on over direct coals for around 6 mins per side until med-rare. Then rested for 15 mins. And then carved super thin against the grain.

Sliced steak put inside a warm tortilla with shredded lettuce, a few spoons of the corn salsa, some sliced avacado, some hot sauce, and sour cream. Wrapped up and served with the extra corn on a cob.

Delish! something different, and really impressed how well the usually tough skirt turned out.

2. Post
    shadybrothers wrote:
    Picked up the 18.5" from the Warehouse with their clearance price ($75) - going to try out a chicken tonight
    Are there any offers going on ATM ? Looking to pick one unit up

3. Post
    Grolim wrote:
    Hope your roasts went well Spanked.
    Doing it today, most of my cooks are done on a Sunday due to working half a day Saturday. The Weber is sitting at 114C with all vents wide open.. Meat just hit 60C.

EDIT

Went surprisingly good. I went out for a couple hours in the middle of the day, left the Weber sitting at home on 114C with all the vents wide open, got home and it had jumped up to 130C, got it back down to 108C for the rest of the cook.

They were in there for about eight hours, one was done 30 mins before the other. It probably snuck up to 95C when it got pulled off, but was still juicy as. The other came off at 84C as it was getting close to dinner time. The first was was like pulling apart a cloud. The second had a piece in the middle that just wouldn't pull, so my three year old nephew smashed it back, haha. Probably had another three hours of cooking time left on the snake with how I had it set up.

How do you guys light up 8 - 12 coals? I found it pretty hard, as it barely covers the base of my chimney, used a whole newspaper and four fire lighters.

I think I was to try some brined chicken breasts next time.

4. Post
    Use some smaller bits of lump charcoal in a small pile and lay the briqs around it. The lump lights easy and burns hot so does a good job of spreading the fire to the briqs.

If you want to make bloody certain it lights first time, pick up a cheap brulee torch (i've seen them as low as $15) and give the lump a few seconds under the gun. It'll spark like a bastard so wear protection (i usually use sunglasses / cheapo welding gloves and jandals ) but it'll get some nice embers on the lump and then use 1 fire lighter. I've lit as few as 3 coals with this method, with no relighting or newspaper. Also it's fun.

5. Post
    To light a small amount of coals try using a can with both ends cut out to make a cylinder. Place that inside your chimney and the coals/briqs inside that. Or make your own smaller chimney with a can or a large can like the big tins of spaghetti, drill holes and poke wire through, then add a few more bigger holes for airflow.

6. Post
    Had a full on Weber weekend, as I tend to make a tradition of the last weekend of daylight savings.

Manage to cook all the major food groups: Pork, beef, chicken, and lamb.

Have already posted up the lamb cook and the bacon & pastrami I'll post up later.

Here's tonight's' standard issue Sunday roast chook. (pic from about 2/3rds done)

7. Post
    Mmmm i've got a huge free range chicken in the freezer that could do with that treatment... But for now,

Who wants to share a pork rub recipe with me? Preferably one light on salt and with light/no sugar. There's a pork shoulder in my fridge that is begging for the low and slow.

8. Post
    I have a pork shoulder and a whole chicken for Easter. I was thinking about trying tandoori style chicken and Chinese BBQ pork (Char Sui)

not quite sure about the best approach to the BBQ pork.

Anyone got anything special BBQish for easter?

9. Post
    Sounds good zippy. Never tried Char sui and have done tandoori chicken once a long time ago. Keen to see what you come up with.

Nothing really planned myself for Easter. I have Tue & wed off work as well so no doubt I'll have a few chances to chuck some flesh over the coals, but nothing epic planned as yet.

10. Post
    Most times i've seen it down the porks been cut down to about 1" x 1" x however long bits, this makes sure that you get nice flavoured edges without big bits of just pork flavour. I'd probably have a go at boning, find a vid of someone doing it, and then cutting it into strips.

I've got a shoulder in the fridge which will probably go in tomorrow with an eye towards pulling it a dozen hours later.

11. Post
    I have a scotch roast in the kettle right now. Got a nasty burn on my arm thismorning

12. Post
    Ouch. I got a nasty one last year on the inside of my forearm, about the size a a little finger. From reachin past a kettle to adjust the vents on another and brushing it right were the coals were sitting . Had another nice one on the sole of my foot about the size of a $2 coin, perfectly round and instant blister, from stepping on a hot coal.

13. Post
    Have a chook to throw on later this afternoon. Ran out of tuscan seasoning :O any suggestions?

14. Post
    Lemon pepper + butter
    -edit: work it in under the skin as much as possible, add thyme maybe, onion + garlic in the cavity

15. Post
    Grolim wrote:
    Ouch. I got a nasty one last year on the inside of my forearm, about the size a a little finger. From reachin past a kettle to adjust the vents on another and brushing it right were the coals were sitting .
    This is EXACTLY how I got mine!

16. Post
    And while I was waiting for the meat to cook I made some Kimchi for the first time:

17. Post
    Deadm3at wrote:
    Lemon pepper + butter
    -edit: work it in under the skin as much as possible, add thyme maybe, onion + garlic in the cavity
    onion + garlic into the cavity - how, like stuffing or rub it up in and around?

18. Post
    shadybrothers wrote:
    onion + garlic into the cavity - how, like stuffing or rub it up in and around?
    I assume he means just chuck whole cloves (pealed) and maybe halved or quartered onions into the cavity of the chicken. I used to cut lemons into quarters and stuff as many quarters inside ther as I could ... then pour some melted butter in there!

19. Post
    Should have really re-stoked stuff like this yesterday. i'll chop up a red + white onion and stuff it up there, hopefully have some cloves lying around. pics later

20. Post
    shadybrothers wrote:
    Should have really re-stoked stuff like this yesterday. i'll chop up a red + white onion and stuff it up there, hopefully have some cloves lying around. pics later
    Onion would go well with most herbs... rosemary, thyme, sage, taragon ... got any fresh herbs? Stuff a few sprigs in the cavity with the onion. Pretty much anything goes with chicken

21. Post
    Onion + Garlic + Lime up in there!

Bit stingy on the sides

22. Post
    That'll be mint

23. Post
    Coals are being a tad stubborn this evening...

24. Post
    shadybrothers wrote:
    Coals are being a tad stubborn this evening...
    Yeah ... you need zen like patience with charcoals sometimes. I've been known to lose my sh*t ...

25. Post
    ... almost done