Results 1 to 20 of 20

  1. Post
    Sup guys,

    Ive seen a few threads regarding people moving houses and running into various issues with the process (as well as dealing with them at work), so i thought id create this to help you out should you be wanting to move.

    Note: Most of this can also be used if your getting a New connection at an address aswell

    Just a bit of background, i currently work for an ISP as a provisioning co-ordinator (specialist at other companies). I am the one of the people who deal with your move address/new connections once its been submitted by your customer service/sales team. I deal with speaking to telecom/chorus wholesale and deal with all the back end problems with these requests.

    Below are just a few tips if your moving house to try and make your move of address go as smooth as possible and get your POTS/UBA (Phone/Broadband)connection up asap.

    (sorry for the long post)

    Note: some steps/processes might be different as per your ISP but this is the general run down.
    Also, this is for TELECOM/CHORUS resold lines only.

    Tips i will cover: (may add more in future when i remember them)
    • 1. Medical Escalations
      2. Connection only/Connection with wiring
      3. Know your address
      4. Confirm you have Wiring
      5. Monitored Alarms/Splitters
      6. Exchanges and your Phone#
      7. Previous/Current Connections
      8. Previous POTS PH#
      9. Plug a Phone/DSL modem in
      10. Port-waiters/Cable-waiters
      11. Abandonment / Abandonment Process

    See Below for more detail on the above topics.

    1. Medical Escalation:

    Do you or anyone in your house have a life threatening illness/issue that requires a POTS line to be connected ASAP incase of emergency? advise your ISP of this, they can submit the connection as a medical escalation to help get you connected ASAP either via automation or have a tech assigned if required.

    Please dont abuse this if you arent someone with a medical issue, you could potentially take a tech for someone who does have an issue and cause their connection to take longer (YOU MAY KILL THEM!).

    2. Connection Only/Connection with wiring:

    There are 2 types of connections that can be submitted:

    Connection Only: These are sent through and done via automation generally a tech maybe required to go the exchange but a tech will generally not visit the premisis to confirm working service (these can be changed to connection + wiring by chorus if they deem neccessary) This is good if the POTS/UBA line is INTACT.

    Connection + Wiring: This is when a tech is assigned to your connection to go out to plug in your cables at the exchange and check all the way up to the BT Jackpoint in the premisis, they should confirm working service, this should be used when:
    • you have a monitored alarm (burgular/medical) (splitter needs to be installed)
    • you just want a splitter installed
    • Address does not exist in the chorus database
    • Internal wiring is missing or faulty
    • additional jackpoints need to be installed
    • Any known internal wiring faults need fixing
    • Moving from a previous UCLL connection back onto the telecom/chorus network (may not be 100% required, but you may find you might have to log a failed install anyway)
    • More than 1 house under the same property address
      note: this list is probably not 100% complete of when you should use this option

    3. Know your address:

    This may seem like a basic thing right? but heres the kicker, whats on your rates bill/letterbox/power bill is not always the same as what telecom/chorus have in their Database, this is especially important when it comes to flatting situations or more than 1 premises at a property (Flat 1/2 or A/B) etc. Some houses will have 2 properties/connections at the site but on telecom/chorus's database they both will be under the same address. if one of these gets cancelled its difficult to know if the current connection is the one to your house or the other house (see 9. Plug a phone/DSL modem in).

    Check with the landlord if you have one and confirm what is exactly your address as per telecom/chorus's database, Generally the Customer service agent you speak too should be confirming this with you.

    you can also check your address using this will give you an idea of the ADSL availability in your area

    Address Doesnt exist:
    If your address does not exist in the chorus database then likely there hasnt been a telecom/chorus resold line there in recent times or its a newly built house.

    If this is the case you will need:
    • The DP (deposited Plan) and Lot# for your property, this is avaliable from your rates bill or from the Council itself, just call them up.
    • Agree to a connection and wiring connection.

    Be wary that connections like these are prone to needing internal wiring/service leads laid.

    4. Confirm you have Wiring:

    Confirm that your house has:

    Internal wiring (jackpoints/External termination point):
    The internal wiring generally can be done by a chorus tech or the customers own tech this is not really a problem but does cost and can push the time of your connection out longer than it should be.

    A Service Lead:
    This is the biggest problem, alot of new houses wont have had the service lead laid by the people making it meaning theres no connection from your External Termination Point to Pillar/Demarcation Point (start of telecoms network). This may require Trenching to be done by the customer, thrusting of the cable + ducting etc, this isnt generally cheap and needs to be done to a specific set of specifications depending on if your rural/urban etc.

    5. Monitored Alarms/Splitters:

    Do you have/intend to get a monitored alarm? either a bugular alarm or a medical alarm. It is reccommended to do your connection as a connection + wiring to have a tech go out and install a splitter as to not disrupt your alarms service. Advise your ISP at the time of your call to do your connection that you require a tech for a monitored alarm to install a splitter.
    This will cost you approx $166 (as of 17/01/12) + parts.

    6. Exchanges and Your Phone#:

    Your POTS# may or may not change depending on where you move to

    Generally if you are moving within the same exchange area say BHB (blockhouse bay) to BHB you can keep your same ph# that you had at your previous address. Be aware tho that it still may change.

    If you are moving to a different exchange area say BHB to AVD (avondale) your number will change to an avondale based ph#. these are randomly assigned, but a number can be reserved from the pool if you request it when you ring up.

    7. Previous/Current Connections:

    These are a real pain to deal with. If you know there is a previous tenant try and find out what they intend to do with their POTS/UBA connection, if they are moving it to their new address confirm that they have submitted the request and what the Ready for service date (RFS Date) of the move is. The customer service team or ISP's provisioning team should generally be able to tell if theres a POTS/UBA connection at this address, and we can generally tell if there is an open service order for a disconnection or move address of those services, if there isn't one this causes problems.

    If there is a current connection at the address and the previous tenants haven't requested a disconnection or move of address then the ISP can request abandonment of the line once the abandonment process has been followed (see 11. Abandonment / Abandonment Process).

    8. Previous POTS PH#:

    If you can get the previously connected POTS# at your address, do so, we can generally use this to confirm where it was connected if there is issues confirming your exact address in the Database. Even if we dont need to use it, its always handy to have just incase.

    If you dont know who the current tenant is or if they have a POTS line see below (9. Plug a Phone/DSL modem in)

    9. Plug a Phone/DSL modem in:

    If you have a chance to go to the house before you move in or if you have already moved in, check all your jacks in the house for a Phone connection (dial tone) or a DSL sync. This can help out the provisioning process a great deal specially when it comes to flatting situations or multiple lines under 1 address. This also allows you to complete the abandonment process (11. Abandonment / Abandonment Process).

    DSL Syncs: some houses run off a Naked/UCLL connection so you may not get a dial tone, how ever a DSL sync is also just as handy to confirm if that Naked connection we are seeing is actually located at your premises.

    10 .Port-waiters/Cable-waiters:

    These are generally just when the automation is unable to allocate a cable pair to your line, these are generally resolved reasonably quickly and your connection should go ahead in a timely mannor, how ever these can be changed into port-waiters once someone at telecom/chorus looks at it.

    Port-waiters: These are the bane of the new connection/move address world. basically there is no avaliable space in the exchange for your broadband connection to be plugged in. theres nothing you can do but wait. Port-waiters can range from days to months to years before you can get a connection.

    There is no 100% way to tell(some times we will be able to give you a warning) if an area is full and you are going to be put onto a port-waiter untill the connection has been submitted. These mostly show up in rural or densly populated areas like auckland CBD etc.

    You might be lucky in that telecom will be installing new equipment in the area but this is rare and you will just have to wait or see if theres another ISP (vodafone/telstra etc) that has their own network equipment in your area and see if you can sign up through them.

    11. Abandonment Process:

    (note this should be pretty standard/similar across ISP's but can be different, confirm with them on what they want you to do)

    The abandonment process is a process that is used to determine if the current UBA/POTS connection at the address is actually located where the customer is moving too (sometimes the address in the database can be wrong etc).Once the abandonment process has been completed and the customer has confirmed that they are now in the house or that there are no longer tenants the ISP can request Chorus/Telecom to disconnect the UBA/POTS Line (POTS gets put onto CUSTOMER LINK to allow the old tenants to move their number at a later stage should they wish too) and allow you to put your connection onto the INTACT PEER at the house.

    Note: a connection should not be abandoned without completing the abandonment process, as you may disconnect someone elses connection if you have the address wrong (ive seen it happen).

    The process for POTS connections:
    • 1. Customer Checks for dial tone in all jacks -> Dial tone confirmed
      2. Customer calls 1957 and notes down POTS# that is read back via automated service
      3. Customer calls ISP from landline
      4. ISP Confirms POTS# via caller ID (or uses POTS# customer has written down if its not showing) matches POTS# at address
      5. ISP calls customer back on that POTS# and confirm customer picks up
      6. Abandonment process completed -> isp sends abandonment request to chorus

    The Process for UBA Connections:
    • 1. Customer Checks for DSL Sync
      2. Customer Confirms DSL Sync on their modem (solid DSL Light)
      3. Customer calls ISP and advises DSL Sync @ address
      6. abandonment process completed -> isp sends abandonment request to chorus

    Note: The abandonment process will take 24 hours before a disconnection is put in place to allow for the losing service provider to reject it (as they may wish to submit a move address for their customer) if this happens then you will need to wait for that move address

    If you have any amendments (point out my mistakes!) or questions you would like answered, please ask and ill do my best to update

  2. Post

  3. Post
    This is a fairly large area to cover, great comprehensive guide so far Gambit

    I work for Telecom and am involved with Business lines (ISDN BRA/PRA/AXE) and Residential (POTS) lines and occasionally broadband (FIPD & UBA). As with Gambit, I consistantly work with Chorus, Service Companies & Wholesale also.

    I just wanted to add a few things for existing properties that you can do to make the transition smooth, before you move and potentially run into issues.

    • Check with the landlord that the premises has had service - particularly in the last 30 days, so that we can run the appropriate service order (New Intact/New Connection/etc...)
    • Try not to book the move more than a couple of weeks in advance for an intact (where the premises already has service), occasionally service orders have errors, and post early disrupting service.
    • I highly recommend you ensure you have MWIRE for at least the first month. It will stop you having an argument over who pays repairs, if there is an issue with internal wiring. This should especially be taken into consideration in a flatting situation - your landlord is not obliged to make sure all jack points you want to use, are working.
    • Make sure the previous tenants have put in for a disconnection of their service for at the VERY latest, the day before your service is to be connected - if not earlier. If the service is not disconnected, then it has to enter the abandonment process (Gambits point 11) and can cause some serious delays in connecting service.
    • If you're connecting your landline and broadband with different providers, it's a good idea to book your broadband connection for the day after connecting the POTS service. If you aren't doing an nDSL connection, then the order for ADSL will be held until your phone service is confirmed as connected.
    • If the place you're moving to is a city apartment, or a newer house then you may have structured or non-standard internal wiring. This is easily identifiable as the wall sockets are RJ45 (ethernet) connections. Make sure you check with the appropriate person that you're aware of how to get service. In the case of an apartment, it's best to speak with the building manager prior to speaking with a provider as they will usually want to speak with the tech or get certain information to ensure service is patched properly to your apartment.

    Also just to add to Gambit's comment re: Medical Escalations, i'd just like to enforce that please only follow this path if someone in the house has a life threatening situation (domestic or medical) that requires the phone line. Either there is a medical alarm or some sort of monitoring system connected to the line or you need the phone to call out in an emergency and do not have a mobile you can use for this. Under these type of escalations, they can go as far as techs being pulled off other jobs to ensure service is given to these type of customers, which can either cost Business' huge amounts of money, or put another life at risk who is waiting to have their line fixed/connection done.

  4. Post
    Jarsky wrote:
    • I highly recommend you ensure you have MWIRE for at least the first month. It will stop you having an argument over who pays repairs, if there is an issue with internal wiring. This should especially be taken into consideration in a flatting situation - your landlord is not obliged to make sure all jack points you want to use, are working.
    It should be noted that (at least according to Slingshot) that wiring/maintenance insurance doesn't cover DSL problems or when your house wiring hasn't been installed to a standard.

  5. Post
    Thanks for the tips, much appreciated

    I have those RJ45 connectors in my home, are they just like ethernet switches that I can plug a modem into and any appliance that can use an ethernet connection (other desktop computers etc) and it'll work?

    I've no internet at home yet, but I was just testing how this worked, plugged in a modem into one room and desktop into another, tried to access the modem home ( but couldn't access it

  6. Post
    It depends how your house is wired - you may have seperate BT (normal) jackpoints, and those RJ45 connectors purely for network - or you have have a structured wiring.

    If it is the latter, then you should have a patch panel somewhere in the house, usually in the garage. You can patch some of the points for phone and plug your ADSL modem into one of the points.

    In our last apartment where we had this setup, we actually patched a network switch into the panel (same thing ive now done in our new house) and use the points for networking computers.

  7. Post
    saajiik wrote:
    It should be noted that (at least according to Slingshot) that wiring/maintenance insurance doesn't cover DSL problems or when your house wiring hasn't been installed to a standard.
    This is correct, Wiring and Maint insurance does not cover DSL faults, it also doesnt work for the first 30 days of having it added to the line.

  8. Post
    Gambit wrote:
    This is correct, Wiring and Maint insurance does not cover DSL faults, it also doesnt work for the first 30 days of having it added to the line.
    Clarification for Telecom customers, according to

    Please be aware that the price of Telecom's Residential Wiring Maintenance Service will increase for residential customers from 1 February 2012, from $3.17 per month to $3.95 per month.

    If the service is not taken at the time of installing a new broadband or land line connection there is a 30 day stand down period.

    Please be aware that from 1 February 2012, Wiring Maintenance will also include some faults relating to broadband services such as a faulty internal Telecom compliant wiring causing broadband faults such as frequent disconnections to the broadband service or a loss of broadband connection.

  9. Post
    Sticky tbh

  10. Post
    interesting, no ones notified us about the change to the w&m regarding BB faults so i have passed this onto our customer service team

    good to know

  11. Post
    That makes perfect sense, especially nowadays that EUBA access connections are commonplace, even those services based on EUBA0, need to be provisioned with higher performance targets at the physical layer (i.e. sync at higher minimum data rates) to ensure they are able to support future applications - in particular the migration of voice from PSTN to VoIP.

  12. Post
    yeah its def good news. about time really.

  13. Post
    does this mean W&M will cover naked DSL then ?

  14. Post
    maha wrote:
    does this mean W&M will cover naked DSL then ?
    You'll have to talk to the provider I think. I'm not even sure if this wire maintenance change is at chorus level, or just telecom retail? Does anyone know?

  15. Post
    currently we are unsure if Wiring and maint will cover Naked DSL connections, we have our SDM looking into it. if i hear back about it i will post in here.

  16. Post
    The other thing is if the other person is coming from the Chorus network or another network. That makes the process a bit slower at the computer end.

  17. Post

    You should link the Service availability tool in this thread.

    Knowing if the area can support ADSL was a HUGE factor in me buying my last 2 houses. Although this doesn't account for "waiters", it is a VERY helpful tool for those who rely heavily on the internet.

  18. Post

  19. Post
    Anyone got any advice for moving house with orcon ?????

  20. Post