1. Post

Stage 1 Auckland University General Education courses

I'm going to be attending Auckland University, enrolled in a Bachelor of Science (Biomedical science) and will be hoping to be admitted into a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery the year after. For now, I'm kind of stumped as to what to do for my general education course and would like to ask you what you did, how much did you enjoy it and how easy you found the course/ what grade you got?

I'm very good at mathematics but cannot take any maths courses. Also cannot take any science courses for my general education either. Not the best in english so not extremely confident in writing essays. Want a general education course which I can enjoy and do well in. Suggestions for general eduction?

Thank you so much for your time.

2. Post
    Choose whatever is on offer from; history, philosophy (the logic critical thinking paper is absurdly easy 101 105) or sociology.

I would recommend pharmacy 111G, but obviously that would not work for you)

ed - upon reading others comments I realised I was wrong; 105 is the absurdly easy one, 101 is easy, but you actually need to do a little work.

3. Post
    Avoid PHIL105G.

4. Post
    Avoid PHIL105G.

Can you explain why please? I was told that it's a fairly interesting course and you should be able to do well as long as you attend all your lectures.

5. Post
    Um "fairly interesting".

I imagine you're a pretty intelligent person if you want to get into Surgery.

Therefore PHIL105 won't be fairly interesting.

The whole course is all about arguments - their structure, types of arguments, convincing arguments, fallacious arguments etc.

For example, in the last three weeks of semester, we learn about statistical argument and their problems - eg you need a large sample size and to be comparing apples and apples not apples and oranges to make assumptions from statistics!!?!?!?

Sure, it's not really challenging but it is insulting to your intelligence.

//EDIT: Also two tests, final exam and two assignments plus an extra bonus optional assignment. Way more work that other general eds.

To be honest, Law128G is a great general ed. Makes you think, really interesting, and just tutorials every second week, a mid semester test and an exam. But it's a lot of reading, although it makes you think

If you want a gen ed with 0 work, Compsci101

6. Post
    NikolaiM wrote:
    If you want a gen ed with 0 work, Compsci101
    Is it not COMPSCI100?

7. Post
    Oh might be 100. Whichever the Gen Ed one is.

8. Post
    Compsci 111 is the easy herp dis is how you sent an email Gen Ed. Not sure if he can do that though since he is doing BSC

Easy Gen Eds

Compsci 111
    Phil 105
    Anthro 106 (watch youtube music vids for 1 2 hour lecture every week)
    English 121
    Wells

9. Post
    Phil105 can be a bit of a risky move if you take it to get a good grade: some people just don't get it. It isn't a case of being smart or stupid, it's just one of those things that you either get or you don't. I got an A in it fwiw.

I wouldn't go with Law121, because you're being scaled against everyone else in your class trying to get into law, i.e., a certain percentage of the class will get an A, a certain will get an A-, and so on.

I've heard Anthro106 is easy enough so long as you pay moderate attention.

10. Post
    Avoid all those essay based subjective papers like Law 121, stick with those where you can get high marks objectively. Eg short answers, numbers etc.

Unless of course your writing is just that pro

11. Post
    i did psych 109, its really easy. doesnt require any skill lol, just a bit of route learning

its all multichoise and short answer

12. Post
    NikolaiM wrote:
    Avoid PHIL105G.
    This. I failed it.

there's supposedly some business paper that's really easy as well. I took History103 and did alright, but it bored the shit out of me as a science student.

13. Post
    Go take Econ151G. It probably wouldn't be terribly "interesting" for you, but at this point since you're going to be applying for Medicine, you want a paper that has the easiest workload while still giving you an almost guaranteed A+.

14. Post
    You can fail PHIL 105?

Only time I'd recommend someone avoid PHIL 105 is if English isn't there first language or they just aren't very good with English altogether.

and unless it's changed, you don't have an exam which is bonus points for Gen Ed papers afaic.
    Wells

15. Post
    I failed it because it's a stupid paper and I prefer hard science than writing fruity essays

16. Post
    Wells wrote:
    You can fail PHIL 105?

Only time I'd recommend someone avoid PHIL 105 is if English isn't there first language or they just aren't very good with English altogether.

and unless it's changed, you don't have an exam which is bonus points for Gen Ed papers afaic.
    There is an exam now. I know a lot of people that had difficulty with it, even though they're otherwise very high-achievers. Like I said, either you get it or you don't, apparantly.

17. Post
    is finance considered a maths paper? im really enjoying finance atm

18. Post
    Medsci 100g if you can. Very easy, and actually interesting.

German/french/spanish 101. Easy A, can actually be useful.

Sociology 100. Easy A.

19. Post
    Anthro 106 is a joke

Anyone done MKTG151G?

20. Post
    INTBUS 151G is quite easy.

21. Post
    Anyone done/know anything about STATS 150G? Interesting? Easy? Worth taking?

22. Post
    Theres that stage 2 law paper that Jane Kelsey takes...pretty easy and internal marks for it.

Its on FTA's/ WTO/ NAFTA etc