1. Post

1.4 patch beta available

In Steam

Steam>Setting>Account Tab>Beta Participation - Change. Restart.

Patch is 190MB

2. Post
    Has anyone got any performance feedback on this beta patch?

Do the new patch optimisations mean we can now do without SkyBoost?

3. Post
    EDIT:- v1.4 makes Skyboost and TESVAL obsolete (for the time being. Alex is working on Skyboost for v1.4 so we'll see how that goes when people post benchmarks.)
    http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/133.../page__st__120

I applaud the changelog. This is the big quest content patch which they promised.

1.4 beta isn't a huge improvement over SkyBoost, but it's an improvement nonetheless.

Whiterun
    Looking at tree from Dragonsreach stairs.

Vanilla 1.3: 35
    SkyBoost R4, 1.3: 56
    Vanilla 1.4 Beta: 60

--

Markarth:
    Right up top, looking over everything.

Vanilla 1.3: 24
    SkyBoost R4, 1.3: 36
    Vanilla 1.4 Beta: 40

--

New Game Cutscene:
    From skyrim logo disappear to cart stopping.

Vanilla 1.3:
    Min FPS: 32
    Max FPS: 60
    Average FPS: 46.2

SkyBoost R4, 1.3:
    Min FPS: 45
    Average FPS: 56.1

Vanilla 1.4 Beta:
    Min FPS: 49
    Average FPS: 58.1

4. Post
    Is there a 60 fps limit? Can it be turned off in an .ini file?

5. Post
    I'm pretty sure that the game has V-sync forced on, at least it did at launch. They may've changed that subsequently through patches though, I have no idea.

6. Post
    Simonatron wrote:
    Is there a 60 fps limit? Can it be turned off in an .ini file?
    "Disable Vsync: Access the SkyrimPrefs.ini again and add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of the [Display] section. This can improve a sluggish framerate and eliminate instances of mouse lag."

7. Post
    That INI command is confirmed to not work. V-sync is forced on.

Anyway patch notes for today's v1.4.20.0:-
    A new version (1.4.20) of the beta update is now live on Steam. It covers the following:

Fixed occasional audio issue that would play sound effects louder than intended
    Master Criminal achievement/trophy unlocks properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian
    Fixed issue where dragon priest masks would not render correctly
    Fixed issue where player would be unable to become Thane of Riften if they purchased a home first
    http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/133...changed-14200/

8. Post
    I can't think of any benefits to 'beta testing' a patch.

Any problems I've had have been minimal - I'd beta test a content patch, but bug fixes doesn't seem worth my time.

Of course from a QA perspective it's a fantastic idea

9. Post
    Any idea when the ETA for the final patch is?

10. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    I can't think of any benefits to 'beta testing' a patch.

Any problems I've had have been minimal - I'd beta test a content patch, but bug fixes doesn't seem worth my time.

Of course from a QA perspective it's a fantastic idea
    PC users are being used as guinea pigs, because console updates have to go through certification processes which can take up to several weeks and ~$10,000 USD each time.

I'd imagine that they want to avoid bad publicity too, i.e. the backwards flying dragon and broken magical resistance introduced in v1.1, which was fixed a week later with the v1.2 hotfix.

11. Post
    Huh, didn't know that about consoles. Interesting.

12. Post
    http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/130...#entry20170500

We really appreciate the feedback from our Steam Beta. We anticipate the 1.4 update going live next week for all on the PC and being sent to the console manufacturers. The Creation Kit won’t be far behind.

13. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    The Creation Kit won’t be far behind.
    Yes, finally!

14. Post
    Apparently 1.4 official patch is up now on Steam http://www.bethblog.com/2012/02/01/1...am/#more-17658

Update your SKSE if you're using it http://skse.silverlock.org/

15. Post
    Updated. Framerate is way up. Foliage density is way down. Also stuff rendered at great distances (Mountains etc) seem to flicker. huh...

16. Post
    SKSE is not playing nicely with the new 1.4 patch.

Tried 1.04.08, 1.04.09, and now on 1.04.10.

08 wouldn't launch the game. 09 caused CTD about every 30 minutes. 10 won't launch either.

17. Post
    Was another patch released today?

Steam just finished downloading 52MB's for Skyrim.

18. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Was another patch released today?

Steam just finished downloading 52MB's for Skyrim.
    http://www.bethblog.com/

19. Post
    "BethBlog posted some information about update 1.5, which will include new features, like new killcams, specifically killcams for ranged combat and spellcasting! They also say that they are planning to add new features in upcoming updates... Skyrim is starting to look like the never-ending Elder Scrolls game at the rate they are spewing out updates and features!

Update: It seems that BethBlog have removed this article from the blog for some reason, most likely because the beta does not seem to be up on Steam yet. But whatever the reason, it will probably be up again soon. (To anyone following BethBlog, they do send out mails where you can read the blog post.)"

When asked about the article on BethBlog, GStaff replied this: "Sorry, that was an early draft. When we’re ready to post something, we will."

Today on Steam we've released a new beta update that gives you a first
    look at what's we'll be bringing to PS3, 360, and PC in the
    forthcoming 1.5 update.

In addition to a number of new bug fixes, we're now using title
    updates as an opportunity to add new features to the game. Included
    in this update, players will be able to enjoy all-new kill cameras,
    including ones specific to ranged combat and magic.

Sound familar? That's probably because they had a cameo in the Game
    Jam video [1] shown during Todd Howard's DICE keynoteTodd Howard
    presented at DICE.

from the Nexus
    At least 300 on the motorway booool

20. Post
    v1.5 beta patch runs swimmingly, recommended. The killcams for magic and ranged weapons can be a bit random though. I've mostly been getting them for small **** like nuking elks and mudcrabs with mid-tier Destruction spells.

21. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    v1.5 beta patch runs swimmingly, recommended. The killcams for magic and ranged weapons can be a bit random though. I've mostly been getting them for small **** like nuking elks and mudcrabs with mid-tier Destruction spells.
    I read somewhere it happens when the last enemy in a cell(area of the gameworld) dies, which seems quite likely if you're out in the wilderness killing an animal.

It would be good if they change it to not to play on animal deaths.