1. Post
    DEFY wrote:
    What is happening with the rest of the track completion at Hampton Downs?
    Stalled, pending money.

I think they're trying to attrackd the V8 Supercars there for a round on the premise that if the V8 Supercars sign up, the track will be completed for this.

The hard work has been done and the track COULD be completed pretty quickly, but the expensive bit is the bit left to come.... hence needing further investment.

2. Post
    c0nc0n wrote:
    Perhaps you could shed some light into the second hand tires of these? Like, I know some race car groups/teams ditch worn semis and slicks, do you know where one could start to look? The 18s are actually a good size for some of the wheels I have sitting around.
    Teams should have some. I'd say contact them after the first round. The tyres they are currently using a different to the race tyre and cannot be used for racing.

3. Post

4. Post
    the challenge cup uses 17s

235/620/R17 slicks and wets

5. Post
    c0nc0n wrote:
    Perhaps you could shed some light into the second hand tires of these? Like, I know some race car groups/teams ditch worn semis and slicks, do you know where one could start to look? The 18s are actually a good size for some of the wheels I have sitting around.
    All racing teams have old slicks lying around, pretty easy to figure out how to get in touch with them, just go to the website of the series and find the section about the teams (all contact details are usually there)
    What kind of car do you have as a 680 rolling diameter is f@#king huge for most road cars........

6. Post
    680 isn't that big is it?
    I think my slicks are 640.

7. Post
    Macros wrote:
    Nope I work for the series. You can probably tell who I am now (Malcolm).

They're 280/680/R18 that have a circumference of 2123mm with 24psi in them.

Teams were seeing high 64s. Should be quicker with the race compond.
    Cheers mate, 64s is super quick almost mind boggling. That's probably a ~54 at Pukekohe I'm assuming.

It's safe to assume that after this weekend at Hampton that most of the teams will swap there slicks for a new set right?

Any idea why you guys didn't run the Michelins that the Porsche cup cars use? 280/680R18? Was it a price thing?

24psi cold, what temps are they seeing hot mate? 32psi?

8. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    680 isn't that big is it?
    I think my slicks are 640.
    Your slicks will be 240/625R17 if they are ex NZV8 tyres

Our GTR won't take 680 without the front uprights being seriously modified plus the guards need rolling.

9. Post
    snow* wrote:
    Your slicks will be 240/625R17 if they are ex NZV8 tyres

Our GTR won't take 680 without the front uprights being seriously modified plus the guards need rolling.
    Yeah that looks better.
    I knew there was a 40 in there somewhere.

10. Post
    snow* wrote:
    Cheers mate, 64s is super quick almost mind boggling. That's probably a ~54 at Pukekohe I'm assuming.

It's safe to assume that after this weekend at Hampton that most of the teams will swap there slicks for a new set right?

Any idea why you guys didn't run the Michelins that the Porsche cup cars use? 280/680R18? Was it a price thing?

24psi cold, what temps are they seeing hot mate? 32psi?

Teams can only purchase a certian amount of new tyres per round but can use tyres from previous rounds.

Price and I think it was due to only the drive tyre not the steer tyre being avaliable at that size but can't confirm.

Should be 24 hot.

11. Post
    Good three races for round 1 of the series.

Murph won the round, but race three was definately the best I thought.

Any one down there watching ??

12. Post

13. Post
    Vastly more interested in the pit girls than the cars ... at least all the pit girls aren't identical

Put gravel tyres on the taxis, and stick them on a rally stage and I'll watch them . I just can't watch circuit racing any more, I will watch three laps and then wonder when they're going to put down some gravel or snow to make it more fun.

14. Post
    I thought the pit girls we decidedly average (from what I saw on TV3)

Race 3 was very entertaining!

15. Post
    snow* wrote:
    All racing teams have old slicks lying around, pretty easy to figure out how to get in touch with them, just go to the website of the series and find the section about the teams (all contact details are usually there)
    What kind of car do you have as a 680 rolling diameter is f@#king huge for most road cars........
    It's not so much car, but the some wheels I have... I got a pair of 18x11 wheels which are currently being whored out to a track fiend, mostly for drift purposes at the moment but would be nice to have some grippy tires lol

16. Post
    ^^
    But the wheels go on the car right or just sit in the garage?

17. Post
    Yes, they go on car and get used.

seen a few cars in its time...

18. Post
    What's the rolling diameter of those? It's not the width that's an issue.

19. Post
    Snow is pretty much saying you may(probably will) run into clearance issues with such a tall tyre.

20. Post
    c0nc0n wrote:
    Yes, they go on car and get used.

seen a few cars in its time...
    I see a lot of tyre rub under those arches. I'm sure you also try and avoid pot holes and speed bumps like the plague.
    I spammed the admin forum and all i got was a custom tag telling me I'm a tool

21. Post
    lol that car is ridiculous

22. Post
    SafT wrote:
    Snow is pretty much saying you may(probably will) run into clearance issues with such a tall tyre.
    Yeah, I figured that pretty quickly. It's more of an experiment more than anything serious; the guards surprisingly don't rub that much when you run a 255 on that size wheel, but it's not exactly ideal one could say. Finding 295 tires are challenging to say the least and not to rip holes in your wallet.

23. Post
    More pics
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2101393&type=3

Alex Davidson co driving for Knight
    http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/03/23/...ndurance-seat/

Bonnet vents article
    http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/03/23/...-supertourers/

The V8 SuperTourers will add bonnet vents to each car for Round 2 of the V8 SuperTourers at Ruapuna.

After some excessive engine temperatures were recorded in the opening round, category officials have implemented the vents, plus other initiatives, to reduce the heat under the bonnets of the new race cars.

The vents have been designed to let hot air trapped under the bonnet escape at a low pressure point.

Other changes include raising the angle of the Adrad radiator by a further 10 degrees and inserting a wing-style air deflector across the the throat of the intake for the radiator.

The engine temperature of a SuperTourers is not meant to exceed 110 degrees. In the opening event at Hampton Downs, some cars reached that point. The changes are expected to drop the under bonnet by 10 degrees.

We want to reduce the under bonnet temperatures, but the engine was never in danger of boiling over, category administrator Mark Petch told Speedcafe.com.

We can run at 110 no problem, and that is the maximum temperature. Most were at 103, but we want to run them in the 90s, so we are changing things around to get some of the heat out from under the bonnet.

Its a nice looking, shaped thing, and its another thing that sets us apart from V8 Supercars.

Another technical change before Round 2 will be the use of composite bonnets and rear guards across all cars in the field. At Hampton Downs, only the Fords had access to the lighter components.

Round 2 of the V8 SuperTourers Championship will be held over the Easter weekend at Ruapuna International Raceway in Christchurch.

24. Post
    Cool, nice to see small purposeful upgrades.

25. Post
    Anyone going to the Ruapuna round this weekend?
    Thinking about going, but public transport doesn't seem to go out that far (I'm from Wellington).
    Been told the weather may not be good as well.
    Is there any covered seating / cover at all?