1. Post

New 2.0 or 2.1 Speakers for computer approx $250 budget

Hey I'm wanting to know your recommendations for either a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system just for my computer in my room. Have read in the past that the M-Audio AV40's are a pretty solid option for around that price point so was wondering if you would have any other suggestions for approximately $250?

2. Post
    Get the AV40's

3. Post
    http://www.thekoolroom.com/product/swan-m10/ not sure about shipping and such but might come in a little over budget.

4. Post
    Trademe is always the best speaker shop around. You can get some real bargains if you look carefully enough.

5. Post
    I havent heard the av40s i do wonder what they are like compared to
    http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=13808

6. Post
    Well I think it's safe to say they're not in the same league as a logitech speaker set, even without hearing them.

Audioengine A5 has become really cheap too (new version coming in). I noticed Ascent has them for $315 shipped. Think I got mine closer to $500 :/
    lumpy custard

7. Post
    Logitech Z623 are around $200 and get good reviews

8. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    Logitech Z623 are around $200 and get good reviews
    I hear a lot of people complain the bass is boomy/muddy.

I'm in the market for something to replace my Microlab 7C's which have been shifted into the lounge. Looking for a small 2.1/2.0 set that I can plug my PC and 360 into, with easy access headphone jack, Have found that in reality I hardly ever cranked the Microlabs more than 30%, don't need huge power.

Was looking at some Logitech Z523's as an ultra budget option that meets my criteria, any comments on them?

9. Post
    Sectiplave wrote:
    I'm in the market for something to replace my Microlab 7C's which have been shifted into the lounge. Looking for a small 2.1/2.0 set that I can plug my PC and 360 into, with easy access headphone jack, Have found that in reality I hardly ever cranked the Microlabs more than 30%, don't need huge power.

Was looking at some Logitech Z523's as an ultra budget option that meets my criteria, any comments on them?
    If I was in the market for something small I'd jump on the AV40s at current prices.
    All the logitech sets I've heard seem to adhere to the same basic philosophy. No reason not to get proper speakers instead if you're ok spending a couple hundred.
    lumpy custard

10. Post
    The AV40's have come down quite a bit from when I purchased the Microlab speakers. I will see how things go over the next couple of pay cycles, would need a new computer desk as the one I'm using is a multi-tiered very narrow setup with no room on the same level as the monitor.

11. Post
    I have a pair of AV40's, use them with my PC and occasionally xbox. Great for music within this price range, they don't have boomy bass like the logitech speakers but instead it's tight punchy. Great for a tight space, I made some stands and they fit my desk perfectly.

12. Post
    Nice! Yes I remember hearing back in the days when I purchased the 7c's that these gave very good clear audio for gaming and music in a bedroom/study.

My desk is only just wide enough to fit my 24" monitor with a maybe 2 inches spare on each side, it's VERY narrow. But will be changing to a full desk much similar to that, then I will seriously look at a pair of those as they are much more size appropriate than the 7c's

13. Post
    POCOLOCO wrote:
    http://www.thekoolroom.com/product/swan-m10/ not sure about shipping and such but might come in a little over budget.
    I finally moved the Microlab 7c to the lounge and have been looking into speakers, have gone off the AV40's as PC and Xbox will be running off them, Xbox has no equalizer, so no bass controls don't sound like fun if you want to go loud and bass heavy on battlefield etc. Also they entirely out of stock it seems in NZ.

The Swan M10's have a $123 shipping cost, that's AUD..... so it's pretty excessive really bringing the total cost over $300NZD. Unfortunately none of this stuff shows up on trade me second hand. Any other recommendations people have on 2.1 systems in this budget range, will be running 360 + PC so ideally has volume / bass dials on the unit.

14. Post
    would say you the 7c's are still the best sub $400-500 speaker, once you go past that your best bet would be a pair of KRK rokkits or buying something from Swan (i guess you could try audioengine?)

15. Post
    whats the verdict on the Audioengine 2s for sub $200? I'm also looking at the Audioengine 5+ but its bit excessive for me...

16. Post
    kpax wrote:
    whats the verdict on the Audioengine 2s for sub $200? I'm also looking at the Audioengine 5+ but its bit excessive for me...
    They look good, and are supposed to provide accurate sound. The main driver is pretty small, would be good if you hooked up a sub at a later stage. I think the AV40's are regarded as better, but higher price tag to match.

If I purchased a set of AV40's how hard would it be to add a sub down the line? Would I need to be cable switching constantly when switching from PC to Xbox?

17. Post
    can anyone tell how big these (AV40's) are compared to the micro 6c's. Brother just upgraded monitors (2x 24") and now his micro 6cs are too big for his desk and monitors. Looking for something abit smaller.

18. Post
    I managed to find a second hand pair on trade me for a very reasonable price, bloody great little speakers! I have no complaints about them.

At a glance they are noticeably smaller than 6c's. But instead of giving vague estimates, grab a tape measure and check the difference.

AV40
    222 (H) x 152 (W) x 184 (D)

6C
    361 (H) x 270 (W) x 210 (D)

Looks like the AV are a fair bit smaller all around, and I must say they give very good sound quality for the price point and size.