1. Post

Car transport Auckland to Christchurch

Hi everyone, as the title says, does anyone know any cheap method of transporting a car from Auckland to Christchurch? Everyone quote I have so far gotten cost $800-$850.
    Is this price right? Just seems cheaper If I drive it back myself then.

Thanks in advance

2. Post
    cathy88 wrote:
    Hi everyone, as the title says, does anyone know any cheap method of transporting a car from Auckland to Christchurch? Everyone quote I have so far gotten cost $800-$850.
    Is this price right? Just seems cheaper If I drive it back myself then.

Thanks in advance
    It's not bad considering petrol and ferry ride required if you drive yourself, plus if you cannot do it all in one go you need to pay to stay the night somewhere if you don't have relatives. I'm not sure if you could get a better price, start ringing around other companies and seeing if they can beat it.

3. Post
    Yeah, that bloody ferry price.

4. Post
    For ferry 1 passenger + a car = 200 dollars. Petrol from Auckland to CHCH is probably $160-$200. How much would motel cost overnight at welly?

Thanks

5. Post
    Yeah, that's definitely an average/fair price.

6. Post
    cathy88 wrote:
    For ferry 1 passenger + a car = 200 dollars. Petrol from Auckland to CHCH is probably $160-$200. How much would motel cost overnight at welly?

Thanks
    If you really want to go the cheap route you could stay at a hostel/backpackers I paid a tiny $18 for a 20 share room (was only 5 of us in there) and the only other people were really friendly tourists. I got a sausage mc muffin on the way to the bus station and then carried on North. Total stay in Welly = $20 so you could do it cheap there if need be.

I'm unsure on the motel prices as I'm a tight arse and have no issue in bunk share rooms Meet some decent people as well.

You just would really want to make sure the car you are buying is up to standard as it would suck to find yourself stranded half way home with a busted car and having to fork out for a towtruck (possible after hours) + costs to get car going again + accommodation whilst your car wasn't going. We stopped to help a group of people who'd hit a pig and carried on driving, completely cooked their engine as it had split their radiator, 20 minutes out of Rotorua @ 3am and it cost them $300 iirc to get it towed back in...and they lived in Auckland :/ no idea what happened to them after that but it would've been very expensive.

7. Post
    Archetype wrote:
    If you really want to go the cheap route you could stay at a hostel/backpackers I paid a tiny $18 for a 20 share room (was only 5 of us in there) and the only other people were really friendly tourists. I got a sausage mc muffin on the way to the bus station and then carried on North. Total stay in Welly = $20 so you could do it cheap there if need be.

I'm unsure on the motel prices as I'm a tight arse and have no issue in bunk share rooms Meet some decent people as well.

You just would really want to make sure the car you are buying is up to standard as it would suck to find yourself stranded half way home with a busted car and having to fork out for a towtruck (possible after hours) + costs to get car going again + accommodation whilst your car wasn't going. We stopped to help a group of people who'd hit a pig and carried on driving, completely cooked their engine as it had split their radiator, 20 minutes out of Rotorua @ 3am and it cost them $300 iirc to get it towed back in...and they lived in Auckland :/ no idea what happened to them after that but it would've been very expensive.
    Hi,

Ive had my car for about 3 weeks now and have been driving it everyday. Originally moved to Auckland for 3 months, just my time is almost up here so going back to Christchurch. Will be leaving in two weeks time. I did think of back packers, just I am carrying alot of stuff not sure if its save, and to be honest never been to a back packer. I dont mind meeting new people / friends though.

I have never driven long distance before, if I was to drive down back to CHCH any recommendations on what I should be careful of?

Thanks

8. Post
    cathy88 wrote:
    Hi,

Ive had my car for about 3 weeks now and have been driving it everyday. Originally moved to Auckland for 3 months, just my time is almost up here so going back to Christchurch. Will be leaving in two weeks time. I did think of back packers, just I am carrying alot of stuff not sure if its save, and to be honest never been to a back packer. I dont mind meeting new people / friends though.

I have never driven long distance before, if I was to drive down back to CHCH any recommendations on what I should be careful of?

Thanks
    That makes more sense, sorry if I didn't read the OP correctly, I was under the impression you were shipping a new bought car. Well I'm unsure of whether Wellington has any lockable car parks (like Auckland) but that could be something to look into? Also unsure about the other hostels/backpackers in Welly but in the last Auckland one I stayed in they had a single room with shower/toilet for about $60 a night which is really cheap so these places can have quite cheap single options as well.

As far as long driving goes MAKE SURE you are well rested, if you feel at all tired then full over for a power nap, if you're not used to long distance driving don't load yourself up on caffeine as it will just make you over tired later on which is worse. I would aim to leave Auckland early in the morning and then stop off at the major towns on my way down from Auckland for a rest and walk around (it's amazing how good just taking a stroll around a park can make you feel after sitting in the car for a few hours!) and plan to get to Welly around mid-late evening then get to bed early and try and get an early ferry the next day and then the same as Auck - Welly, stopping off whenever I needed to have a good stretch / walk around.

I've never driven that long, but I do drive long distances around the North Island a lot and this is sort of what I do (but to a larger extent).

Do exercise caution if you decide to stay in a multi person room as everywhere in the world it isn't 100% safe, every person I have come across in hostels/backpackers have been very friendly and nice but it only takes one asshole to ruin something. Also most places should have steel lock boxes under the beds or somewhere near by where you can store your expensive stuff (I've always left my bag on the bed and nothing has been taken).

-e- also, how would you get your other stuff down to Chch?? can it fit into your car? Because you would also need to factor that in + the cost to get you to Chch if you weren't driving it down. That all added up could be quite expensive including the transport for the car.

9. Post
    I could flick my mate a text, see if he is up in auckland he does that drive alot. has a surf 4wd

You could group? so if something happed like the car broke down, your not stuffed, or if you went off the road? let me know...

He is a GC and will look after you.

10. Post
    I'm sure one of the Wellington crew can shack you up for a night to save on staying in a shitty back packers

11. Post
    mac0030 wrote:
    I could flick my mate a text, see if he is up in auckland he does that drive alot. has a surf 4wd

You could group? so if something happed like the car broke down, your not stuffed, or if you went off the road? let me know...

He is a GC and will look after you.
    gonna-get-raped.jpg

What are you talking about you cant do it in one go?

Catch the last bluebridge ferry the 230am one, they now have cabins for $25 have a shower and a sleep and continue on..

Leave after 12pm, this will allow a 1hr food stop, in Taupo or Palmy.
    Arrive in Wellington, refill your petrol! grab some supplies, water food etc.
    Check in and line up early as its first on first off.
    Have a nap in the car, grab a cabin and have a shower, go to sleep!
    Dont worry about sleeping in as they bang on all the doors and get you up.
    Get off the ferry and pass as many cars as possible so you Dont get stuck behind trucks or camper vans going up the hill.
    Stop for breakfast in Kaikoura
    Youll be home before lunch.

Have driven and done this a few times, but to Dunedin.

Nothing to look out for, just check your tyre pressure, Youll need to put in more psi if you are loading the car up.
    Lots of tunes, i usually drive fast as it keeps you more alert.. Well me anyway.
    Always drive the posted limit through towns.

12. Post
    ^--- shit yep, that sounds good, I completely forgot about Bluebridge & their cabins, my friend briefly mentioned using them when they came up North.

13. Post
    Oh and drive in a tshirt and shorts..
    Even if its raining, nothing worse than being hot while driving long distances, especially when your clothes are packed in the boot.
    Its pretty easy to warm the car up, harder to cool it down.

Yeah the cabins arent anything special but after 8 hours driving a bed and shower is the business.

While you are waiting to board, get a fresh set of clothes, toothbrush, hair product etc. They have towels you can use in the rooms.
    Also Dont worry about getting a window room, its dark outside and cant see anything.