1. Post
    Th3WhiteKnight wrote:
    I dunno about the AA bill, the amount of pistol grips on guns these days would be a logistical nightmare for the police to have removed.

After the "touch our butts" fiasco I have a feeling they may just cut their losses on that one.
    Hmm, you could be right. I don't think there would be as many pistol grip A cats now as there were thumbhole A cats when they tried to modify the law in the first place. Time will tell I guess.

2. Post
    Look at the amount you see flogged on trademe & gun stuff, not to mention you can import the from the USA for 10USD each and not require an import or export permit.

Much easier to bring in a ergo grip than a whole stock

3. Post
    Th3WhiteKnight wrote:
    How bout one of these?

http://www.nzar15.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=134

Its A-Cat for those without E's and price is NZD. By all accounts they are a pretty decent rifle for the money. They're manufactured by North Eastern Arms, a Canadian company so not some ****ty Norinco rubbish.

Also .300AAC uppers are on the way so good for medium/large game out to 600m.
    NO, no and.. no

My rifle will look like this eventually

while what your talking about would probably end up like

What i am aiming for is a long range target & lay up rifle, an ar15 is not going to be part of that combo, plus my rifle will come in alittle over what that is anyway even with all the bits i'm adding on.

4. Post
    Xelogen wrote:
    I've heard some interesting things about Ken's AR15s re. quality control. They still look pretty decent though, and time will tell once people start receiving them and posting results.

Also, they'll only be A cat until the Arms Act is amended to plug the loophole. I guess that's an easy way to get an E cat license though if (when) that change occurs.
    Fark, 2G for a semi auto .223?

5. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Fark, 2G for a semi auto .223?
    That's very cheap for an AR15 in NZ haha. They are very nice rifles, to be fair. Very ergonomic.

I still wouldn't buy one though.

6. Post
    Paid just under 3k for my RRA AR and it is worth every penny, wouldn't buy any other .223 myself

7. Post
    Even if you build one yourself you'll pay 2k +, the AR-15 is the only semi-auto platform I'd use.

8. Post
    Gordy wrote:
    Even if you build one yourself you'll pay 2k +, the AR-15 is the only semi-auto platform I'd use.
    If you were to build one for 2k how would you go about it? It's easier for me to spend lots of small amounts of money over a while (Missus don't notice it as much) then it is to drop 2-4k in one hit...

9. Post
    If you dont mind the hassles of getting export permits, customs etc you could build one in bits for less than 2k easy. Brownells sells alot of AR parts

10. Post
    Buy all the parts sepetately. You can buy uppers and lowers in NZ and get trueflite to make the barrel etc.

11. Post
    Gordy wrote:
    Buy all the parts sepetately. You can buy uppers and lowers in NZ and get trueflite to make the barrel etc.
    Uppers and lowers from anywhere specific? Is there anything to look out for, brands to stay away from? I'm quite keen on an AR, something for the military rifle shoots (I know nothing of this class, i just read about it a couple of months ago in a gun mag and it looks appealing.)

12. Post
    dont buy chinese bits.
    uppers, pretty much all the same, never seen an upper fail so buy whatever you want really
    Lowers, dont buy a carbon fibre one, seen one of those pop, not pretty, try to look for american brands like, DPMS, RRA,Colt etc
    Barrels, i have a mil spec barrel in one upper, and its ok for hunting as its light, but if you pop off a few rounds it gets hot and starts spraying, have used MAB in the past and was fantastic, and my new uppers are being built with trueflight barrels, which i am sure will be fine
    forend - personal choice here, $50-100 for a cheap free float tube of $300+ for a fancy railed one, just dont buy airsoft rubbish
    Grips and stock, A2 rear stock is cheap and works well, again you can splash out and buy something fancy later if you want to. any pistol grip will do as long as its not a mil spec one, again pick something that works to start with and you can always change it later
    trigger, get something nice, Jard, RRA 2 stage, national match, ar gold, etc. you wont regret spending more on your trigger.
    bolt and carrier, just buy something from a know manufacture, DPMS, RRA etc

try the AR builder on brownells

13. Post
    Pretty much what Pumpkin said. Most established manufacturers make lowers to spec. Uppers really the main concern is making sure the feed ramps are to spec so they mate with feed ramps in the barrel extension. DPMS, RRA, Stag, Bushmater are the Toyotas of the AR world, nothing too flash but good enough for most. Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Colt, LMT, CMMG, Knights Armament, Noveske make rifles that are of a higher quality, but most aren't on the DoS approved exporter list. JP makes fantastic IPSC rifles.

You could go for an Obermeyer, Kreiger, Whiteoak, JP, Noveske barrel but as Pumpkin said just as easy to go NZ made Truflite, though I think they run about $800. Though I tend to trash barrels so I tend to go for chrome lined.

Triggers as Pumpkin said Jard, Jewel, AR Gold, Timney and if you can get you grubby hands on them Geiselle. RRA 2 stage is what I'd regard as an entry level match trigger. Going from my IPSC 3-gun tricked out carbine with a smooth crispish trigger to my service rifle with its bog standard trigger that feels like there is a ton of sand in there gritty and a break that you theoretically know will happen sometime but...makes me sad.

Get a decent bolt and bolt carrier grouped. Make sure the gas key is well staked.

I have a tendancy toward retractable stocks for several reasons. Some of the optics I use have tiny 1 1/2" eye relief, it is easier to transfer to my weak side shoulder should I need to do so, and well they look cooler

I forgot to check Pumpkin if you got the package? I'll give a break down of IPSC 3-gun Nationals when the photos get sent though.

14. Post
    Always liked the 'mark 12' config. 18" barrel, 12" (?) daniel defence fore end, A2 stock with a nice blac can on the end. Aways wanted a 10.5" barrel CAR-15 but they're not real practical.

15. Post
    what is the largest calibre you are legally able to get for a rifle?

16. Post
    dragonfruit818 wrote:
    what is the largest calibre you are legally able to get for a rifle?
    When they call it a cannon and not a rifle.

17. Post
    S2W wrote:
    When they call it a cannon and not a rifle.
    This isn't correct, cannons can be owned on a normal A licence.

There are no calibre restrictions in the act.

18. Post
    I heard a rumour that someone on here was building a canon... I want the bowling ball launcher, but gun powder is too expensive to play silly buggers with...

19. Post
    bas wrote:
    This isn't correct, cannons can be owned on a normal A licence.

There are no calibre restrictions in the act.
    Cool story bro , i wasn't talking about the legal aspect.

20. Post
    JaegerNZ wrote:
    also does anyone have any experience using the Accu-Shot Monopod
    Do want! That is fantastic. Would compliment a bi-pod nicely.

21. Post
    Brennos wrote:
    I heard a rumour that someone on here was building a canon... I want the bowling ball launcher, but gun powder is too expensive to play silly buggers with...
    Is something that fires resin or cement filled coke cans a cannon?

22. Post
    AzumitH wrote:
    Is something that fires resin or cement filled coke cans a cannon?
    Every year (or is it twice a year) the Auckland branch of the NZAAA holds a canon shoot out at the Riverhead deer stalkers range. They have a mixture of home and professionally made miniture canons and mortars. For the mortars the coke/beer cans a a popular choice of ammunition. For the canons a lot of people use cut down barrels from 40mm bofors or industrial pipes.

Legally, according to the Arms Act, they are all classified as firearms.

Attached Images

23. Post
    Interesting. The design I have in mind resembles an SPG-9, made entirely out of stainless steel.

Should be fun once completed.

24. Post
    AzumitH wrote:
    Interesting. The design I have in mind resembles an SPG-9, made entirely out of stainless steel.
    Should be fun once completed.
    Looks cool! Are you building from plans? Will it be a conventional canon or will you be using a small black powder charge to launch the projectile kinda like the German panzerfaust did?

25. Post
    Building it based off plans I have seen and my own ideas, with input from my landlord who is a qualified pyrotechnician (is that even a word lol). Looking at a gas/powder hybrid so I can use electrical ignition, such as a claymore clacker