1. Post

Samsung Galaxy i9000GT

So I recently got one of these, DIRT cheap.

I am currently running an iPhone 3g which I recently Jailbroke. Now I installed Emulators for gameboy and sega which I had always wanted to play on my phone but the speed of the emulator is...terrible. Now this samsung Galaxy S (I believe that's the model name) Is perfect condition the only thing wrong with it is it needs a new battery which I can pickup for less then $50

How much can I do with this galaxy? Is it faster then an iPhone 3g. I like the overall feel of the phone, I have also borrowed a battery off a friend with the same phone and tested it works, and everything seems to be fine on it Picked up my sim card, Wifi working, games e.t.c everything working fine

Can you "customise" these phones much and install 3rd party apps and the like?

Thanks

2. Post
    M0F0 wrote:
    Can you "customise" these phones much and install 3rd party apps and the like?
    Everything any apple phone can do, and about 100x more.
    recovered B|ind-Reaper*'s wife's photos like a boss

3. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Everything any apple phone can do, and about 100x more.
    Thanks, that's all I really wanted to know. Kind of suspected this might be the case!
    Looks like ill be buying a battery for it today!

If anyone has any experience using the phone for gameboy emulation, please post results of how well it works

4. Post
    I'm not sure what the "gt" model is but I'm assuming its another galaxy s, here is a comparison:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=2826

So yeah, the Galaxy can do a heck of a lot more, the 3gs is seriously outdated. The Iphone 4 would be a much fairer comparison.

5. Post
    Yes, the GT-I9000 is the standard Samsung Galaxy S. Performance wise, it'll crush the iPhone 3GS. You should be able to run a PS1 emulator such as FPSE without too much trouble on it. One thing to note is that Android is completely open. There's almost nothing you can't do with it, and rooting it will literally make it nothing. It's fully open source, and has a huge community. Some people prefer the ease of use of the iPhone, but if you're the kind of person who likes to play around and customize everything, you'll love this phone.

Gameboy Advance emulation seems perfect as far as I can tell on my SGS2, should be no different on the SGS. DS emulators have been proven possible, but we have yet to see a usable example.

And yes, a stock android can install unsigned 3rd party apps.

6. Post
    If your into emulation google Tiger nes and Tiger Genesis cause they arent on the market anymore

also get mame4droid and n64boid (you might have to google n64boid)

Think Tiger also do a GBA emulator too?

7. Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice

Went and picked up the battery for the phone during lunch break so am charging it now and will have a proper play around with it when I get home. Already like it more then the iPhone and I have hardly used it yet. I should probably give the iPhone back to my wife now as I well and truly stole it from her when she wasn't looking (literally)

8. Post
    You'll love it. I always regretted getting my iPhone 4 over the SGS

vo|ati|e wrote:
    If your into emulation google Tiger nes and Tiger Genesis cause they arent on the market anymore

also get mame4droid and n64boid (you might have to google n64boid)

Think Tiger also do a GBA emulator too?
    Yeah, this, TigerKings emulators > everything else. Sadly, they have taken them off the market, so you'll have to do a bit of googling to find them.

There are GBA, GBC, NES, SNES, MegaDrive/Genesis, MAME, PSone and NDS emulators, with the DS emulator being the 'concept' mentioned in my previous post. It doesn't do much :P

Edit: I seem to have a couple of them. I'll put them in my DropBox.
    TigerSNES
    TigerGBA
    TigerPSOne (FPSE is better, but this is free)
    TigerFBA (MAME)
    TigerFC (NES)
    TigerGBC
    TigerGENS (Mega Drive)
    TigerNDS (Afformentioned, don't expect to play anything with this)

9. Post
    Thanks Xev

I am literally going to jizz in my pants if Final Fantsay 7 works perfectly on this phone. Probably cry tbh.
    And mega drive STREETS OF RAGE TIME

10. Post
    I play Tekken 3 and GT 2 on FPSE with Galaxy S and no lag what so ever

11. Post
    Played FF8 on my old Lenovo Lephone, same chipset as the i9000 and it ran flawlessly. The one thing I miss about Android was the number of quality apps like PSX emulators. Wish there was a PSX emulator on WP7...

Also, he was talking about an iPhone 3G, which on the CPU side is the 400MHz ARM11. The Galaxy S is a 1000MHz Cortex A8. The A8s are roughly twice the performance of the ARM11s at the same clock rates, so about 5x faster on the CPU side and the GPU is a similar increase.

12. Post
    I got FF7 working on my SGS fine, some music was stuttery every now and then but still playable.

13. Post
    M0F0 wrote:
    Thanks Xev

I am literally going to jizz in my pants if Final Fantsay 7 works perfectly on this phone. Probably cry tbh.
    And mega drive STREETS OF RAGE TIME
    It does. And yes, Streets of Rage does too. Have fun!

I played quite a way into FF9 on FPSe, worked brilliantly and looks awesome on the Super AMOLED. You'll have no trouble with FF7 in the SGS.

14. Post
    Literally have the fattest grin on my face reading the last 4 post's
    I am not doing anything productive tonight! PHONE GAMES

15. Post
    vo|ati|e wrote:
    I got FF7 working on my SGS fine, some music was stuttery every now and then but still playable.
    My god! Why have I only heard of this now??? Guess what I'm doing once I get home?

16. Post
    M0F0 wrote:
    Literally have the fattest grin on my face reading the last 4 post's
    I am not doing anything productive tonight! PHONE GAMES
    Poke around the Android market too. There's a ton of top notch games available these days. Grab GTA3 if it's compatible with the SGS, as well. It's an awesome version

17. Post
    Should also go over to darkyrom.com and look at trying a custom ROM for the phone, they provide the latest available firmware (not lagged by vodafone or telecom) and usually provide a boost of speed and extended battery. and a lot of extra features to boot

18. Post
    Can someone please give me the idiot's guide of the steps required between downloading one of the emulators linked above and actually playing something on my SGS?

19. Post
    Have been using mine since June and loving it. Only problem with it is that sometimes the phone screen just goes black and you can't turn it back on again - I just reset the battery everytime it does that.