1. Post
    Stac wrote:
    Im currently with telecom prob over the next 3 weeks ill be moving house looking at this plan.

what i want to know is how much trouble is it to transfer the port over since the exchange is full, will telstra sort this out if i decide to go with them or do i have to get telecom to change it over? then once in my new place change my plan to telstra?

does it cost anything more to get interleaving turnd off? telecom would never turn it off
    interleaving is free. i have had some trouble connecting since my exchange was full, has taken awhile to be sorted.

technician is finally coming tomorrow after 21 days since sign up

2. Post
    Stac wrote:
    Im currently with telecom prob over the next 3 weeks ill be moving house looking at this plan.

what i want to know is how much trouble is it to transfer the port over since the exchange is full, will telstra sort this out if i decide to go with them or do i have to get telecom to change it over? then once in my new place change my plan to telstra?

does it cost anything more to get interleaving turnd off? telecom would never turn it off
    Moving from one exchange/cabinet to another can mean that you will lose your phone number regardless (the first few numbers/prefix).

Unless you're moving to a UCLL exchange that allows number portability (TelstraClear HomePlan UCLL will allow this, but if you're moving to another area on WSA with Telecom or TelstraClear, it will not matter).

If there is a port waiting list at the exchange/cabinet, you will still be at the bottom of that list regardless of who you go with as well.

Keep the questions coming if I'm not clear about that.

3. Post
    simcore wrote:
    That would more likely be congestion on your exchange.

What exactly slowed down? The line speed? The throughput? The International?
    Speedtest dropped from the typical 14-15Mbps to 2Mbps national, pings still playable but close to 100ms to all servers except on3network
    webpages were noticeably slower loading

4. Post
    Had a rep call me yesterday regarding plans

Again.. great plan is you only need 40GB (Obviously going vs Orcons genius plan)

.. but if you 100GB on Telstraclear it will cost $140 ...

5. Post
    so tech turns up today to flick a switch, then tells me i wont have internet for another 4-5 days pretty much a whole month to get connected. simcore if you can boost this process please that would be awesome, would like it for the weekend!

6. Post
    dupl3x that sounds a bit off - unsure of what that tech is talking about.

PM me your details (phone number or address) and I can take a quick look and see what the go is.

7. Post
    Haha, after starting this thread, I find that I haven't switched, just because of the $199 disconnection fee I'll be slapped with by Telecom because I'm still on a term contract. Gah!

8. Post
    iRoN wrote:
    dupl3x that sounds a bit off - unsure of what that tech is talking about.

PM me your details (phone number or address) and I can take a quick look and see what the go is.
    ok he just said telstra do things a bit different and id be lucky to be connected friday, maybe saturday.

i just called up customer service and checked, she said within 48 hours but would call back this afternoon and let me know.

9. Post
    ^ details in your PM.

Frustrates me when field staff comment on things they know little about

10. Post
    Hey, is the free wireless modem any good? Ours is on the fritz, so suddenly sacrificing the disconnection fee doesn't seem so bad.

11. Post
    smartbo wrote:
    Hey, is the free wireless modem any good? Ours is on the fritz, so suddenly sacrificing the disconnection fee doesn't seem so bad.
    It's a dynalink. They hold line sync very well (and are tweakable too). The wireless is only wireless G, but its free and G vs N makes virtually no difference for typical internet use.

12. Post
    I heard the Wi-Fi range on those Dynalink's is pretty average?

13. Post
    Actually i might have to correct myself there, it appears Telstraclear might be sending out netcomm gear now. Same company, effectively the same hardware though.
    Their page still says dynalink but ive heard of people receiving netcomm devices.
    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/reside...and/modems.cfm

And yeah its range not amazing but neither are the thomson ones telecom used to provide etc. Their new one they are providing looks curious. I would call it fine for most homes.

14. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    Actually i might have to correct myself there, it appears Telstraclear might be sending out netcomm gear now. Same company, effectively the same hardware though.
    Their page still says dynalink but ive heard of people receiving netcomm devices.
    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/reside...and/modems.cfm

And yeah its range not amazing but neither are the thomson ones telecom used to provide etc. Their new one they are providing looks curious. I would call it fine for most homes.
    dynalink 1025w range is a joke. but if you're in the same or next room you should be fine.

15. Post
    23 days, still no net hope its on this afternoon/weekend!

16. Post
    I spoke to a telstraclear rep on the phone about this plan at the start of the month, he said it could take 3-4 weeks to change to them. Just wanted to know when do they actually email you with all the details on log in and stuff.

17. Post
    Really? They told me 5-7 days. You get an email when they have connected the broadband which i got this time yesterday, but yet to be connected despite the email saying you will be connected within 24 hours.

18. Post
    Oh snap, guess I better call and find out what the story is.

19. Post
    mercutio wrote:
    dynalink 1025w range is a joke. but if you're in the same or next room you should be fine.
    It worked fine for me 10m through 3 walls, and upstairs through the floor/one wall. I could also head outside and use it at the end of the driveway (4+ walls, various obstacles).

Tbh i dont see it being any worse than other cheap single antenna APs. If you want better range, you pay for it.

20. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    It worked fine for me 10m through 3 walls, and upstairs through the floor/one wall. I could also head outside and use it at the end of the driveway (4+ walls, various obstacles).
    We had one guy last year using the wireless parked on the street ~30m away. That was through two walls in the flat, and with another house + metal fence in the LoS.

21. Post
    Just got off the phone with Telstraclear, apparently I'm already their customer. Sorting some crap out with my last ISP then it should be all good.

22. Post
    eXDee wrote:

Tbh i dont see it being any worse than other cheap single antenna APs. If you want better range, you pay for it.
    weird, i had a dynalink 1025w then replaced the wireless part with tp-link 1043nd, and the range went up heaps.

seemed about 5 times more range.

i don't know to figure out walls.. there were two doors in between and it was dropping out.. but more walls than that and i assume it's line-of-sightish. at
    the same time, the tp-link worked a couple of stories down, and much further away.

23. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    I'd be tempted to move to another ISP from Telecom, but not many offer a complete all in one package for my communications needs.

1) Broadband
    2) Home Phone
    3) 2 x Planless Mobile (i.e. only pay for what we use) @29c a minute

I get all this for $99
    I did a detailed comparison with a Telstraclear agent including with my Domain hosting and email. I would save about $3 per month, if I converted to Telstraclear and I would also have to change Simcards.

Not sure if there is much benefit going from XT to VF.

VF said they will bring out a planless mobile scheme soon too.

24. Post
    Seriously if you go to TelstraClear and experience all sorts of hassles then you get what you deserve as they are the worst ISP ever. Friend of mine switched from Slingshot to TelstraFail and apparently TelstraFail disconnected her from Slingshot and took over her account without actually providing her with any Internet service. So for 2 days now she has been without Internet and the douchebags at Telstra have told her oh it may take another day or two...seriously!!?? Why the hell were Telstra taking over her connection without giving her an active Internet connection in the first place - retards.

I switched from TelstraFail to SNAP - took under 1 day to swap me over and it was so painless and they have far superior customer service.

25. Post
    Currently on Telstraclear cable, and have been for years. (no issues with service) But this new special has pricked my ears up as I currently pay the ~$109/month for 40GB cable. $35/month less for the same data would be nice. Shopping around other ISP's atm

Depending on ISP can get up to 6 times as much data for the same $$$. I guess I should have looked sooner.