1. Post
    Such a joke, spent 25 minutes pretty much on hold to find out they didnt know when il be connected and said they will call me back. This exact scenario happened 2 days ago and they didnt call me back. Surely I should be able to cancel the sign up for free since we havent been connected?

2. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Not really, interleaving will reduce latency significantly by sending less packets when data is requested. This has little to no effect, at least any noticeable effect with web browsing or download speeds.
    it's noticable on web browsing -- mostly because lots of sites have a lot of images etc to load now days and a) there can be so much bursty traffic that there is packet loss - lower latency helps recover faster, and b) you have to wait for some things to download before requesting more, and c) you have to wait for acknowledgement before more packets are sent.

you probably wouldn't notice a 30 to 50 msec increase in total page load time. but you do notice 200 msec difference in load time.

3. Post
    Does anyone know if the other ISP's are planning to drop pricing to match?

4. Post
    spec*weapon wrote:
    Does anyone know if the other ISP's are planning to drop pricing to match?
    Xnet

5. Post
    logistics wrote:
    Such a joke, spent 25 minutes pretty much on hold to find out they didnt know when il be connected and said they will call me back. This exact scenario happened 2 days ago and they didnt call me back. Surely I should be able to cancel the sign up for free since we havent been connected?
    Hey logistics, yeah you're under no obligation to stay until you get connected (even then there can be some flexibility if we've really screwed up excessively).

Flick me a PM with your account number (or phone number) and I'd be happy to look up your connection/switch-over date and chase up anything if necessary.

6. Post
    So after 2 weeks since signing up **** seems to be finally sorted, they have now said it will be connected within 5-7 working days thankfully the old tenants haven't disconnected their internet yet

7. Post
    So just signed up to this, the tip about getting 3 months free if you have your own router was GOLD,

shame that there's no way to add blocks of data, have to take it at $2/GB. This must be how they get the money back

8. Post
    I think I'll take the plunge... Can you keep your old number and at what cost? I've already got my router etc to 3 months free should cover the low cost i'm assuming to keep my home number.

9. Post
    9unk wrote:
    I think I'll take the plunge... Can you keep your old number and at what cost? I've already got my router etc to 3 months free should cover the low cost i'm assuming to keep my home number.
    Reassigning an existing number is free (as long as you're just switching services at the same property)

10. Post
    Sweet! Will see what xnet's plan is if its before end of April.

11. Post
    So my connection got changed over today, first clue I had was no internet access.

So spent 20 minutes trying to find a phonebook to find telstraclear's number, rang to find that my connection was setup.

5 minutes later I've setup my password and found out what my username is, connection is all go.

Still have no idea why they didn't setup my password and notify me of my username 3 days ago when I signed up, Is this what happened to everyone else that's signed up.

Anyway, very happy with the connection, and interleaving should be off within a few days so expecting an improvement still.
    Finding a lot of local sites are much faster, especially trademe. And ping of 40 to on3network servers.

Is there an obvious indication of when interleaving has been turned off? Looking at line status in my router, NB6Plus4Wn.

12. Post
    I'd be tempted to move to another ISP from Telecom, but not many offer a complete all in one package for my communications needs.

1) Broadband
    2) Home Phone
    3) 2 x Planless Mobile (i.e. only pay for what we use) @29c a minute

I get all this for $99

13. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    I'd be tempted to move to another ISP from Telecom, but not many offer a complete all in one package for my communications needs.

1) Broadband
    2) Home Phone
    3) 2 x Planless Mobile (i.e. only pay for what we use) @29c a minute

I get all this for $99
    You can get 2 x planless mobile's on your TelstraClear bill at 19c/m, text/data add-on optional.

:D?

14. Post
    spec*weapon wrote:
    Still have no idea why they didn't setup my password and notify me of my username 3 days ago when I signed up, Is this what happened to everyone else that's signed up.

Anyway, very happy with the connection, and interleaving should be off within a few days so expecting an improvement still.
    Finding a lot of local sites are much faster, especially trademe. And ping of 40 to on3network servers.

Is there an obvious indication of when interleaving has been turned off? Looking at line status in my router, NB6Plus4Wn.
    Were you asked what you would like your username and password to be when you signed up? They're meant to take a notification email address where your account name and password would be sent to prior to your switch as well.

If neither of those were done then yeah, screwed up!

15. Post
    Hey where do we find the terms & conditions for this $75 plan?

I see there is a T&C link at the bottom of the page there but it seems to link to all Telstra Clear plans. Which T&C are for this plan specifically?

16. Post
    simcore wrote:
    You can get 2 x planless mobile's on your TelstraClear bill at 19c/m, text/data add-on optional.

?
    They never mention that at their stalls in the mall.

17. Post
    Time to ring up and change over considering we pay like $90 for 10gb for the last 4 years

18. Post
    running faster than snap ever did
    Winner: Ass Clown Award 2002!!! NEWS FLASH 2003 clown as well!!!

19. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    They never mention that at their stalls in the mall.
    I manage the stall at Sylvia Park, Auckland and I'd be surprised about that, although we have some newbie staff so apologies if that's the case.

If it was Sylvia Park, revisit us and we'll line it up for you. (Just say Byron sent you)

20. Post
    Wow this plan really slows down during the peak hours, **** I hope that interleaving off will reduce my pings a bit

21. Post
    Ahh, that was my concern. Hopefully they will beef up the network to handle the new capacity.

22. Post
    I don't trust a company that claims they have laid fibre through forests and over summits.

23. Post
    Galent wrote:
    I don't trust a company that claims they have laid fibre through forests and over summits.
    How else do you think you can do fibre through a country like NZ

http://www.broadbandmap.govt.nz/map/
    Select TelstraClear on the right hand side and it shows you the exact location on the cable..

24. Post
    spec*weapon wrote:
    Wow this plan really slows down during the peak hours, **** I hope that interleaving off will reduce my pings a bit
    That would more likely be congestion on your exchange.

What exactly slowed down? The line speed? The throughput? The International?

RE: Galent, That was all shot down in Queenstown and near Twizel, I remember asking at the time and being told they actually chose areas where fibre was laid, whether it's directly in shot, I think the ad was meant to communicate the idea of the nationwide fibre network that was already present and built at a time where people were talking about "build a fibre network!" (to a different purpose no less), but I digress!

25. Post
    Im currently with telecom prob over the next 3 weeks ill be moving house looking at this plan.

what i want to know is how much trouble is it to transfer the port over since the exchange is full, will telstra sort this out if i decide to go with them or do i have to get telecom to change it over? then once in my new place change my plan to telstra?

does it cost anything more to get interleaving turnd off? telecom would never turn it off