Results 1 to 13 of 13

  1. Question
    #1

    $450ish phone with biggish screen

    currently looking at getting either the xperia play or the optimus black leaning more toward the play because it looks better for games

    using it for gaming, browsing, text and calling. currently have an optimus one p500

    pros and cons for each one? they both seem to have similar specs. or is there something else out there thats even better at that price?

    thanks

  2. Post
    #2
    My opinion may be biased but.

    Go for the Sony, you said you wanted it for "gaming", it's PlayStation certified so you get more games on it.

    and we all know LG is a second rate maker that only makes sloppy products.

  3. Post
    #3
    Get the optimus 2x rather than black?

  4. Post
    #4
    Popin wrote:
    Get the optimus 2x rather than black?
    I have the 2x, the 2.2 Froyo OS was shit and had trouble trying to update it to the 2.3 ginger bread. So i just ended up rooting it and putting Cyanogenmod 7 on it. It runs really nice now, a whole lot smoother. I brougth this phone just before xmas and it was naerly 500 from this place http://einfo.co.nz/shop/lg-optimus-2...n-p-22444.html but its $440 now. Yeah its alg, but you can tell it was deffinatly rushed by LG to be the first Dual core smart phone.

    With the mod its good, standard its quite slow. but for the price it is now its still a sweet deal.

  5. Post
    #5
    Mase_esaM wrote:
    I have the 2x, the 2.2 Froyo OS was shit and had trouble trying to update it to the 2.3 ginger bread. So i just ended up rooting it and putting Cyanogenmod 7 on it. It runs really nice now, a whole lot smoother. I brougth this phone just before xmas and it was naerly 500 from this place http://einfo.co.nz/shop/lg-optimus-2...n-p-22444.html but its $440 now. Yeah its alg, but you can tell it was deffinatly rushed by LG to be the first Dual core smart phone.

    With the mod its good, standard its quite slow. but for the price it is now its still a sweet deal.
    Are you able to link me where/how you rooted it and the Cyanogenmod 7? I tried to upgrade to 2.3 and apparently its a hardware issue, im going to see if it's covered under the warranty as I've read in some forums they just replace the motherboard which could be worth doing ^_^

  6. Post
    #6
    Nokia Lumia 710. Has xbox live hub and plenty of games (free and paid). also free gps navigation with voice and turn by turn for 95 countries. no data is used.

    3.7" screen.

    http://www.parallelimported.co.nz/no...ile-phone.html

  7. Post
    #7
    ^^ would you get that over a HTC Radar?

  8. Post
    #8
    falco wrote:
    ^^ would you get that over a HTC Radar?
    I have played with both. both are great handsets. lumia is cheaper than radar, has better display and free navigation so yep will get it over radar.

  9. Post
    #9
    Optimus Black is $299 as part of 2degrees day special.

  10. Post
    #10
    The black a worthy phone?

  11. Post
    #11
    calintz wrote:
    Are you able to link me where/how you rooted it and the Cyanogenmod 7? I tried to upgrade to 2.3 and apparently its a hardware issue, im going to see if it's covered under the warranty as I've read in some forums they just replace the motherboard which could be worth doing ^_^
    I just used Superoneclick to root it. Then i believe i downloaded the rom manager from the market, installed that, then downloaded the cyanogen mod 7.1 file and stored it on my phone then booted to the clockwork mod "bios" thingy, then made a recovery image of my phone, then wiped the cache, then install the cyanogenmod package. thats just from memory but im pretty sure thats how i did it, took me a while to figure it out

  12. Post
    #12
    kiwijunglist wrote:
    Optimus Black is $299 as part of 2degrees day special.
    was wondering is is any good.. online only

  13. Post
    #13
    First don't buy from a nz retail store unless you like getting ripped off

    http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=103

    If you want a quality phone go for htc or samsung. The Galaxy S or Desire HD are both great and can be had for around $450, but I would spend the extra $100 and get something like the Senstation, dual core cpu makes it much more future proof, but there is the Optimus 2x for around $450 if you are happy to sacrifice some quality for lower price.

    If you are with Telecom watch out you get the right version wcdma 850/2100 or you want get any service out side main centers and most phones are 900/2100mhz that are for Vodafone/2degrees.

    The Optimus Black looks ok but it's screen and camera is about all it has going for it and come with an old version of Andriod 2.2 but is upgradable to 2.3. It is said to have poor battery life, worst than many more powerful dual core phones and lg have a terrible ui. LG might be cheap but there is a reason why. HTC Samsung and Motorola all make much better phones that don't cost much more.