1. Post

Warning to Dog owners

Just thought I'd post a thread as a sort of heads up to those with dogs, my Shih Tzu managed to find and eat a bag of sultanas a few nights ago which are highly toxic to dogs. Basically a list of things that you wouldn't know any better that are toxic to your dog.

Here is a site with them for reference: Things That Are Dangerous For Dogs

You wouldn't believe how crucial it is, if I hadn't read something like that a few months ago out of boredom and clicked to what he had eaten, my dog would be dead now. He's still not out of the woods, nearly died the first night and is now slowly recovering after another bad night. Crazy how quickly its all happened.

2. Post
    Some of those are just common sense i.e human medication and poisons.

3. Post
    Linx wrote:
    Some of those are just common sense i.e human medication and poisons.
    Well yeah lol, more talking about the other stuff.

4. Post
    My dog only eats meat and animals made of meat. Sometimes dog biscuits too. Glad I've got a fussy one.

5. Post
    Yep tend to only give them meat and biscuits, but if they see anything lying around (they know how to get onto the kitchen bench) they'll give it a try.

6. Post
    You're reasonably safe if your dog chows down on a block of Cadbury.

There's piss all cocoa in it, mostly palm oil (milk versions, different story for dark flavours)

Still worth a stomach pump though.

7. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    My dog only eats meat and animals made of meat. Sometimes dog biscuits too. Glad I've got a fussy one.
    You forgot the All Bran he eats for breakfast. Now if only he knew how to wash his own dishes.

8. Post
    My dog was complaining of a headache last night and I was going to give her some Ibuprofen, fortunately we had ran out.
    Wells

9. Post
    sorry to hear that man i stumbled on an app a while back with similar information. i went looking for info after my pup cost me 1500 after 2 weeks of ownership. i suspect she ate some mushrooms under trees outside my workplace.

10. Post
    Yep owning a pet is expensive, wish I'd heard of pet insurance before. Unfortunately we had to put him down in the end. Very hard lesson learned.

11. Post
    Skilfil wrote:
    Yep owning a pet is expensive, wish I'd heard of pet insurance before. Unfortunately we had to put him down in the end. Very hard lesson learned.

Sorry to hear man.

12. Post
    Skilfil wrote:
    Ah rats, dude.

Man hug.

13. Post
    Skilfil wrote:
    yea pet insurance can be a good thing. my pup was too young for it at the time of my vet visits though.

14. Post
    fUrBuRgEr wrote:
    yea pet insurance can be a good thing. my pup was too young for it at the time of my vet visits though.
    Too young?
    I had a month free when i first took mine to the vet, was 9 weeks old.

15. Post
    My Chocolate Labrador, he kinda... gets apples that has fallen off our tree, and eats them, has done so for the past 3 years since he has known when they were in season,

He isnt dead yet,

but f*ck me is he the most dumbest dog in the world, his IQ? barely make it past 3, i blame it on the apples

16. Post
    hahaha my sister's pug eats everything!!!

She ate 100g 80% cocoa choc and lived (24hr vet to the rescue)

She ate heaps of rasins (see above also)

Moar choco (off to the vet)

The vets are amazed she aint dead yet, but I dont think you can kill this dog!!!

Pic attached for awesomeness

17. Post
    PBaines wrote:
    My Chocolate Labrador, he kinda... gets apples that has fallen off our tree, and eats them, has done so for the past 3 years since he has known when they were in season,
    He isnt dead yet,

but f*ck me is he the most dumbest dog in the world, his IQ? barely make it past 3, i blame it on the apples
    Yeah my black lab will eat anything and get nothing worse than the ****s for a day or two.

He chows down on windfall apples like there's no tomorrow. Plums, grapes, blackboy peaches, anything.

Never had to visit the vets with him apart from to get some typical lab cysts cut out. Other than that, we've been really lucky.

18. Post
    NiNjA-Keeley wrote:
    hahaha my sister's pug eats everything!!!

She ate 100g 80% cocoa choc and lived (24hr vet to the rescue)

She ate heaps of rasins (see above also)

Moar choco (off to the vet)

The vets are amazed she aint dead yet, but I dont think you can kill this dog!!!

Pic attached for awesomeness

my dog ate a whole whittakers chcolate bar by herself the other week i watched her gulp it down

then i just grabbed her tongue and stuck my hand down her throat to induce vomitting it was a glorious sight.

19. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    Yeah my black lab will eat anything and get nothing worse than the ****s for a day or two.

He chows down on windfall apples like there's no tomorrow. Plums, grapes, blackboy peaches, anything.

Never had to visit the vets with him apart from to get some typical lab cysts cut out. Other than that, we've been really lucky.
    Black Labs ftw! Guts made of iron, or steel or something