Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Post
    I'm hoping that once UFB rolls out more widespread, wholesale DSL prices (inc VDSL) will drop so that those without fibre coverage will still get competitive offerings.

2. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    I'm hoping that once UFB rolls out more widespread, wholesale DSL prices (inc VDSL) will drop so that those without fibre coverage will still get competitive offerings.
    They won't, they prices are regulated (except VDSL, which Chorus will keep high as UFB will take a while to roll out)

3. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    i think it's more likely that wholesale dsl prices will rise, as our prices are based on the australian market, who have a stronger economy than us.

let's take a few US prices:

http://www.att.com/u-verse/shop/inde...id=eFcg3sXIjDZ

$30/month for up to 12 megabit, no phone

$60/month for up to 12 megabit, with phone+tolls+voicemail.

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Lea...dinternet.html

$72.95/month for 30 megabit with powerboost (gives a bit of burst speed at beginning of transfers)

$29.95/month for 6 months 20 megabit with powerboost (dunno what it goes to after that though)

http://www22.verizon.com/home/highspeedinternet/#plans

$40/month for up to 15 megabit, no phone (i think?) - that's comparable to nz adsl afaik.

of course it's in usd but americans earn similar to us in number of $/week

4. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    For the regions Chorus didn't win the UFB contract for, they have bluntly stated that they will compete by utilising their copper network...

5. Post
    si. wrote:
    For the regions Chorus didn't win the UFB contract for, they have bluntly stated that they will compete by utilising their copper network...
    What about in areas which they did get the contract for?
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that the pricing for wholesale DSL access is going up to encourage users to switch to non existent fibre.

6. Post
    innuendo wrote:
    Yes i wasn't fully aware that it was Chorus that charges the premium tax on it until the previous postings. So i take back my gripe about the tax of $50 but not of the data plans which could be beefed up whilst at the same cost
    ISPs want to sell you heaps of GB's worth of Data, but they can't in the current regulated environment (search for discussions on dimensioning). The more they scale their capacity the better they can leverage contention and push larger caps while maintaining service levels. UFB will allow ISPs to control users consumption better and unlock the breaks which have been applied at a regulatory level, not a technical one.

There is nothing stopping Chorus/Commerce commission from removing the current dimensioning rules which would have a overnight effect on the size data caps provided.

For those who are keen to hear from an industry insider :

http://blog.landofthelongwhitecloud....band-strategy/

7. Post
    insane wrote:
    ISPs want to sell you heaps of GB's worth of Data, but they can't in the current regulated environment (search for discussions on dimensioning). The more they scale their capacity the better they can leverage contention and push larger caps while maintaining service levels. UFB will allow ISPs to control users consumption better and unlock the breaks which have been applied at a regulatory level, not a technical one.

There is nothing stopping Chorus/Commerce commission from removing the current dimensioning rules which would have a overnight effect on the size data caps provided.

then there's things like how .nz doesn't mean hosted in NZ - like that blog looks like it could be hosted in NZ - but it's hosted in the US.

a lot of sites for a NZ audience aren't even hosted in NZ.

8. Post
    Lorenceo wrote:
    What about in areas which they did get the contract for?
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that the pricing for wholesale DSL access is going up to encourage users to switch to non existent fibre.
    Waikato/Bay of Plenty area for one. This is done via Ultra Fast Broadband Limited.

I believe chch also wasn't won by them. And northland? Can't be bothered with checking these atm, its all in the crown fibre documents (and media releases).
    insane wrote:

Good read.

The CIR one is my biggest worry tbh. My money goes on a commerce commission investigation on people selling "100mbit internet" which barely exceeds 10. Chances are "as fast as the network allows" or some other disclaimer will let them off the hook though

9. Post
    The problem with this UFB rollout is that they only do the rich affluent area's first. Judging from the Chrous map, i can get VDSL 2+ but im not even in the rollout for UFB under year 1 or 2. Hell apparently the Wellington CBD is under year 2 of the rollout.

It just goes to show how retarded Chorus are.

10. Post
    innuendo wrote:
    The problem with this UFB rollout is that they only do the rich affluent area's first. Judging from the Chrous map, i can get VDSL 2+ but im not even in the rollout for UFB under year 1 or 2. Hell apparently the Wellington CBD is under year 2 of the rollout.

Wellington CBD already has VDSL2 and Fibre (citylink). Why would they rush it out there?

11. Post
    innuendo wrote:

Eh ??

None of Wellingtons "Rich" Surburbs are getting done.. some of the more wealthy Areas are getting done first year.. but they are places out of Wellington.. eg Churton park/Whitby/Kelson/Camborne/Plimmerton

It just seems very random.. **** even Melling (!?) is getting done first year.. and most small town ****ty NZ places are getting done.. eg Masterton/Palmy

They are not even touching Kapiti.. I wonder if that is because Telstraclears Cabal dominates up there

12. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Wellington CBD already has VDSL2 and Fibre (citylink). Why would they rush it out there?
    What is the diff between UFB and Business Fibre.. because Wellington CBD is covered in Business Fibre.. however it also shows up in UFB Year 2

13. Post
    Mox wrote:
    Eh ??

None of Wellingtons "Rich" Surburbs are getting done.. some of the more wealthy Areas are getting done first year.. but they are places out of Wellington.. eg Churton park/Whitby/Kelson/Camborne/Plimmerton

It just seems very random.. **** even Melling (!?) is getting done first year.. and most small town ****ty NZ places are getting done.. eg Masterton/Palmy

They are not even touching Kapiti.. I wonder if that is because Telstraclears Cabal dominates up there
    It would be nice if Miramar resident's could tap into Peter Jackson's fibre...but the way i see it Wellington suburbs wont be getting fibre till prob 2014 / 2015...

14. Post
    Mox wrote:
    What is the diff between UFB and Business Fibre.. because Wellington CBD is covered in Business Fibre.. however it also shows up in UFB Year 2
    about $400/month diff. business fibre is point to point. ufb is shared.

15. Post
    innuendo wrote:
    It would be nice if Miramar resident's could tap into Peter Jackson's fibre...but the way i see it Wellington suburbs wont be getting fibre till prob 2014 / 2015...
    Dude just calm down. VDSL2 is more expensive as it isn't regulated and Chorus can set their own price and this isn't part of Telecom. I remember meeting with the executives of Telecom Wholesale a couple of years ago and they really had no idea what people wanted or needed and I think VDSL is testament to that as it could easily be used to provide triple play & fibre like performance to 50% of the population.

You can get big data caps but again since there is no contractual obligation with Chorus around dimensioning an ISP could suddenly find one day dimensioning apply and because everyone is using a lot of data there would be massive bottlenecks suddenly on Chorus handover. It's pretty funny but the biggest change UFB will bring is getting around these stupid situations as the last mile copper now with cabinetization could be used to provide almost the same service to end users.

16. Post
    teelo2 wrote:
    Would it actually make a difference for international connections, or would those still be throttled by the same old **** international pipes?
    I upload video onto youtube 600Mb done in about 15~20mins, you do the math

17. Post
    insane wrote:

Nice, are there any other good local internet related tech blogs to read?

18. Post
    Ragnor wrote:
    Nice, are there any other good local internet related tech blogs to read?
    There are a few, obviously I read the one above a fair bit, but I also like http://longwhiteclouds.com/ (NZ's only VMware VCDX), I've met him during a incident a few years back and he really knows his stuff, and drives a nice Porsche.

And a past colleague who's been in the UK for the last two years : http://www.virtualjimmy.com/

Enjoy reading all of them