1. Smile

Ssd + Mobo/ram

Hello,

My setup is currently missing a motherboard (which just kicked the bucket), so a new one is on the 'to buy list', and so is some solid state goodness.

PSU - Silverstone Strider Plus 500W
    CPU - Intel E8500
    RAM - Corsair 2x1 Gb DDR2-800 XMS2 CL4
    GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512MB
    HDD - 1 x 500Gb Seagate, 2 x 1Tb WD

I don't have the budget to upgrade my cpu or video card as of right now. I am purely seeking a motherboard to fit what I have now. It would be very nice to upgrade to a mobo to support sandy/ivybridge, but I just can't afford to upgrade the cpu at the same time. I also don't see the point doing that, w/o also upgrading my video card. Bulldozer is also out of the question, because my cpu is already well decent enough (that is - I'm more than happy to be running games on ~high with what I have).

What I'm currently looking at getting:

G.SKILL 4GB kit (2x2Gb) - $60
    OCZ Vertex 3 90Gb - $220 (60Gb version for $160, but I suspect that may be cutting it fine on space for a win 7 64 bit install. I've read some people having no trouble with space with ~60Gb, whilst others say that it is uncomfortably too little. Other than win7, the only programs other than things like office I need to run on it are mathematics and computational chemistry software which aren't particularly big).

As for the motherboard, I don't have much idea as they're no longer made for socket LGA775. It would need to support at least 5 SATA ports (3xHDD, 1xDVD, 1xSSD). I only want to spend $60-80 - and second hand would be fine - as it will be a temporary motherboard for until the end of the year. Right now I can't find anything that fits my requirements.. My only other option would be to grab a motherboard which supports DDR2 ram, which I'm also having trouble finding..

Any help would be great..

2. Post
    Trade Me is your best bet for a temp socket 775 board, looks like there are heaps:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...75&type=Search

3. Post
    Ragnor wrote:
    Trade Me is your best bet for a temp socket 775 board, looks like there are heaps:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...75&type=Search
    None with >4 SATA ports, except if I want to spend $150 on a Asus P5Q Pro. I suppose I could leave my dvd drive unplugged (because hey, how often is that actually used?), but wouldn't be the ideal situation to continually swap the SATA cable between my dvd drive with one of my harddrives.

4. Post
    just for temp use ?
    could get a cheap 775 mobo with ddr2, and a cheap pci sata card ?

may well be ugly, but does the trick..

hell.. i have a ddr2 775 board lying around collecting dust. last i used it, it worked. has 4-6 sata ports from memory as well.

concave from a heavy WC loop, and one sound port that doesnt work (onboard 5.1 can be remapped to a working port), asides from that. im sure it still works

let me know if you want it, only if you can pick up in auckland tho. shipping is such a hassle lol

edit just found an old pic from back when i used the mobo
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1238311402
    can clearly see 4 orange sata ports, and 2 purple ones (that can be setup for raid), so 6 in total

5. Post
    Esorp wrote:
    None with >4 SATA ports, except if I want to spend $150 on a Asus P5Q Pro. I suppose I could leave my dvd drive unplugged (because hey, how often is that actually used?), but wouldn't be the ideal situation to continually swap the SATA cable between my dvd drive with one of my harddrives.
    just leave your dvd drive unplugged. i realised when going to burn a cd that previously while rearranging things that i'd left the dvd drive unplugged. it took me ages to even notice.

6. Post
    Man, I have both Evga 780i and 790i motherboards lying around, perfectly fine except for the memory controller on both has crapped out...which is why I ended up making the jump from 775 to 1366

7. Post
    I have a GA-EP35C-DS3R but sadly she isn't for sale at the moment.

Has 6+2 sata ports, maybe keep an eye on TM?

8. Post
    MIRAGEone wrote:
    let me know if you want it, only if you can pick up in auckland tho. shipping is such a hassle lol
    Darn. I'm down in Palmy. Cheers anyway!

mercutio wrote:
    just leave your dvd drive unplugged. i realised when going to burn a cd that previously while rearranging things that i'd left the dvd drive unplugged. it took me ages to even notice.
    Hehheh. Its sounding like a not too bad option. I could always get one of those Sata -> USB cables.

Mr.Anon wrote:
    I have a GA-EP35C-DS3R but sadly she isn't for sale at the moment.

Has 6+2 sata ports, maybe keep an eye on TM?
    Can I convince you to put it on sale?

But yes, I'm watching trademe like a hawk at the moment.

9. Post
    Doesn't want to ship.

10. Post
    Fight him to the death and make him ship lol