Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

To iOS or to Android?

Keen on a tablet, but just can't choose between the now so cheap ipad 2's (even the NEW ipad) or an android equivilant.

I've always had it in for apple, no sd slots, no flash player (that i know of) etc. But i do like how smooth they are and that they "just work" and keep getting iOS updates and there seems to be way more apps etc.

I've never really had a good go on an android tablet, so im keen to hear peoples opinions.

Questoin, i understand the 3g ipad 2's have gps, do they require data to work?

and do they have flash player that im not aware of?

Cheers

2. Post
    Watch the easter sales, and rumour is Asus are developing some extremely low cost Tegra 3 tablets... no 3G, no GPS... but otherwise well spec'd. I think the whole tablet market is about to take a major price dive.

I cannot see the point in GPS on an ipad (or android tablet > 7"), the device is too bulky to be useful. My huawei 7" has gps, it works well, but I would say that is at the top of the size limit you'd want for dash mounting.

3. Post
    As far as I am aware, you still need to purchase the GPS app (IE: Tomtom, which is about $100) from the App Store to use the GPS. Otherwise you're limited to the (very) basic google maps. As for the android tablets that have it, they come with Google Navigation which is pretty kickass, I must say. You do need data to stream the maps, but on the upside it has cool shit like Satellite terrain. Alternatively, you can choose to buy a GPS program with the maps integrated to escape data usage. Do note that GPS on a tablet isn't really useful due to the size of it.

As for Flash, Android yes, iOS no. Apps wise, Android has overtaken iOS last I checked. And finally, give Ice Cream Sandwich a go when you get a chance. I've found it overall a smoother and more intuitive experience than my old iPhone could ever have provided.

4. Post
    Mase_esaM wrote:
    Questoin, i understand the 3g ipad 2's have gps, do they require data to work?
    Nah they dont require data. If you have app like tomtom or navigon where the map is all pre-loaded, it can function as a giant gps, and pretty damn well too besides the ridiculous size as Vulcan mentioned. It might work if you have someone next to you to hold it/guide you though.

Mase_esaM wrote:
    and do they have flash player that im not aware of?
    What do you usually use flash for? Most major flash video sites now has html5 equivalent, which will work just fine on iOS.

5. Post
    Also worth noting I use google nav most of the time now. I have Co-Pilot for Android on both my phone and tablet so I have a choice of nav software.

Apart from the crappy voice it's very good. And even that can be sorted (just haven't got my lazy arse around to it). Even the voice recognition does well with the kiwi accent.

6. Post
    Sphyre wrote:
    Ahahahaha. If you say so.
    go away sphyre...

http://www.abiresearch.com/press/379...+App+Downloads

and

http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/23/and...ow-next-month/

get back to your little steve jobs alter/shine.

7. Post
    DazzaNZ wrote:
    Stretching much? Number of apps downloaded on the whole platform does not have anything to do with the number of quality tablet apps, which it is generally accepted as currently lacking on Android.
    Quality apps is very much subjective. I have quality apps on my android devices that do not exist on iOS.

My main uses for my phone and tablet are work related, and there I find the quality and availability of iOS apps lacking. Now I know that's subjective to my needs.

Quality of apps is just one of those wanky things desperate apple fanboys throw out there when they get cornered. The same fanboys that more than likely have never used android.

8. Post
    Sphyre wrote:
    tech journalist
    yes a great source of technology expertise there

9. Post
    Cheers, yeah waiting around to see what comes out sounds like a go, just wish the ICS tablets would come out already (well, ones that are cheaper than the tranformer prime)

not going for apple would be good, but will see how long it takes for the new androids to come out

10. Post
    Now now you're both drifting off-topic, go take your verbal diarrhea to PM if you want to continue it.

Both app stores are plentiful, I personally prefer Android for its openness and large modding community, as you say, flash and simple things like SD slots make Android tablets more enticing. Chances are you can get an Android for cheaper and it offers more (also think about peripherals, Apple charges a pretty penny for them and third-party are not always guaranteed to work with updates), iOS updates are not all that big of a thing I've found, some things become available that were available via Cydia (Jailbreak) well before the update.

I would test Android first before spending so much on a tablet.

11. Post
    bzE wrote:

I would test Android first before spending so much on a tablet.
    Sounds like a good idea. Ive been watching some reviews and the sony s tablet seems like a good price/features tablet. Looks like it will have ICS updates too. Im pretty sure i will not go for an ipad.

12. Post
    x86 tablet + Windows 8.

Like this, but cheaper.
    http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/co...rod112985.html

Here's a cheap, heavily reduced one.
    http://www.advantage.co.nz/viewsonic...l?ref=pricespy
    Except it's Atom. And Atoms are garbage, could wait for the new gen Atoms with GMA 3600 that can decode 1080. Or one with a Brazos chip.

13. Post
    These threads are so much better thanks to the ignore feature!

Vulcan, don't they allow Google Nav on tablets? Also as far as I know you can now enable caching on google maps, would this apply to navigation too?

All tablets need work when it comes to apps, this won't take long though, give it another year or so.

14. Post
    Mase_esaM wrote:
    Cheers, yeah waiting around to see what comes out sounds like a go, just wish the ICS tablets would come out already (well, ones that are cheaper than the tranformer prime)

not going for apple would be good, but will see how long it takes for the new androids to come out
    Just remember that even if you do want to buy an android, try to only buy them for what they are at the time purchased and never get one hoping it'll 'get updated to x soon'.

15. Post
    There is no Android equivalent of the iPad yet is there?
    I admit I have not tried any android tablet on ICS but every 3.x tablet I have used hasn't been a pleasant experience.

16. Post
    Cpt.Crowbar wrote:
    These threads are so much better thanks to the ignore feature!

Vulcan, don't they allow Google Nav on tablets? Also as far as I know you can now enable caching on google maps, would this apply to navigation too?

All tablets need work when it comes to apps, this won't take long though, give it another year or so.
    Yes Nav works on tablets, and yes it caches maps.

17. Post
    If you're spending a decent amount of money I'd say just get the iPad. Either way, try out the tablet before you buy though.

You can't really go wrong with either option although the number of tablet optimised apps on iOS is MUCH larger.

Also, if you're keen to wait then you can go for the ~$199 Android tablets rumoured for the near future. I'm not sure how they can maintain that price and make a decent profit though but if they can, better for us.
    PlatinuM195

18. Post
    PlatinuM195 wrote:
    I'm not sure how they can maintain that price and make a decent profit though but if they can, better for us.
    Apple could probabl;y sell the iPad that cheap and still make a profit. Their profit margins are insane.

19. Post
    shadybrothers wrote:
    There is no Android equivalent of the iPad yet is there?
    I admit I have not tried any android tablet on ICS but every 3.x tablet I have used hasn't been a pleasant experience.
    The first will likely be the Transformer Infinity 700, basically the prime with a 1920 1200 and resolved gps/wifi reception issues.

If you do go android for a tablet go with asus, they are essentially the nexus series of tablets always having the latest version of android before everyone else. The other thing to consider is what comes with the device, with the transformers for example you get a bunch of good bundled software eg polaris office that lets you do word/excel etc while ipad you have to buy the apps, or have things like filemanager and useable filesystem which would require jail breaking to get such basic functionality on the ipad.

Most importantly if you go iOS you would have something incommon with Sphyre

20. Post
    If you are a techy/geeky/like customisation/want to do as much as possible/enjoy moding things/very price conscious/pirate software/happy to spend more time fiddling with a device to get the most out of it -> get android

If you use mac/love itunes/not geeky/like very simple easy to use/happy to pay for apps/don't mind spending a bit more/don't want to waste time learning to use something or modding it -> get iPad.

21. Post
    kiwijunglist wrote:
    If you are a techy/geeky/like customisation/want to do as much as possible/enjoy moding things/very price conscious/pirate software/happy to spend more time fiddling with a device to get the most out of it -> get android

If you use mac/love itunes/not geeky/like very simple easy to use/happy to pay for apps/don't mind spending a bit more/don't want to waste time learning to use something or modding it -> get iPad.
    Except no android tablet is any good atm except the Transformer Prime.

22. Post
    HellToupee wrote:
    Most importantly if you go iOS you would have something incommon with Sphyre
    Yes. This is what you should make your choice based on.

23. Post
    kiwijunglist wrote:

Don't use mac, use itunes quite a bit, pretty ****ing geeky, love my ipad. it does exactly what I need it to do.

24. Post
    I have an Asus Transformer, and I love it!

Thought about getting an iPad, but the no Flash thing was a bit of a deal breaker, also I like to have widgets and screen customising etc.

Droid gets my vote.

25. Post
    DaNzA wrote:
    What do you usually use flash for? Most major flash video sites now has html5 equivalent, which will work just fine on iOS.
    pr0n but tbh I disable flash on most websites as usually it'll let me stream a video with a media player rather than using the browser as it's less laggy. I'd say that's down to hardware limitations though and flash is very usable on the top end devices.