1. Post
    sic.verse wrote:
    You need 80 Credits at Level 1, 60 At level 2 & 3. Those 20 of those 80 credits from NCEA Level 1 carry over to Level 2.

To guarantee you get into the selected subject, To pass the subject you need at least 14 or 16(?). If you get less than 14/16, It doesn't necessarily mean you won't get into it.

What subjects are you taking by the way? Or plan to take next year?
    I am planning on taking Histroy,Tourism,Geography,Englihs,Maths Applied,Health.

Abo, i haven't heard of anyone staying in year 11 just because he hasen't got 80 credits, but my real worry is to NOT repeat a lot of level 1 subjects. I don't know how you guys get 190 credits, because the maximum you can get in Level 1 is 130 and that's if you pass every internal and every external you get.

2. Post
    level 2 credits count back as well

+ i did ncea level 1 papers in year 10

3. Post
    Each Subject varies in how many credits you can get.

ie. Business Admin iirc, Could get you about 30-40+ credits, Whereas some offer less than 30. (internals)

4. Post
    If I remember correctly you need 80 credits to pass NCEA 1
    And you need 14 credits in each subject to pass that subject. So you need 14 credit in NCEA 1 geo to do level 2 geo. Though this isn't always the case, I did geo in level 1 then picked it up in level 3 without doing level 2. Teacher make exceptions like these if they think you can handle the workload etc just generally just have to not be a retard lol
    So if you got 14 credits in each subject you would end up with 84 credit overall and thus pass level 1.

Side note: Don't know how people end up with 190+ credits. I passed everything and only ended up with 130, guess some schools are lenient with how many standards they allow students to do.
    For us it was usually 6-7 papers with an average credit rating of 3-4 i guess.

EDIT: not all subject require the same i think, for comp sci level 2 you needed 5 excellence papers in math 1 to do it lol.

5. Post
    v0da12 wrote:
    Only take those subjects if you truly want to get something out of those, Are you wanting to do something in history / geography at Uni? If so you want to take Uni qualified subjects, Which Tourism & Health? are not.

Hearing from friends, You're going to get a lot of essays for History. A lot of internal assignments for Geo, A butt load of easy credits in Tourism. Once again depends which school you're at.

6. Post
    year 10
    social studies
    maths (lvl 1)

year 11
    geography
    english
    science
    computing
    graphics
    maths (lvl 2)

can't remember if anything else

also I think that was the last year they offered social studies but not 100% sure

7. Post
    sic.verse wrote:
    Hearing from friends, You're going to get a lot of essays for History. A lot of internal assignments for Geo, A butt load of easy credits in Tourism. Once again depends which school you're at.
    you get like zero work at high school

8. Post
    threatD wrote:
    you get like zero work at high school
    Year 10 was possibly the best year. Teachers were really laid back. No homework.

9. Post
    I knew people that didn't get level 1 but they moved on to level 2 subjects. However some did stay behind in some classes like English/Maths because going up a level without doing well in the year prior will be too hard.

Goodluck.
    Protip for year13: Do computer studies, you can bang out like 40credits in your free time if you ask to do the assessments that were not covered in class. brb make a powerpoint and get 5credits

10. Post
    I attained NCEA level 2 without turning up to most classes. I didn't do any homework at all from year 7-12, if I couldn't do it in the classroom I wouldn't attempt it. Wish I put more effort into it though. Uni was quite tough especially learning calculus for the first time and 2nd year mathematical statistics was a real bitch because I lacked the building blocks of statistics.

11. Post
    ****ing lol at worrying about level 1. It is literally the most worthless **** you can get.

12. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    I did! no credits for that though
    Who cares, you got your quiche and ate it too.

fatesjester wrote:
    ****ing lol at worrying about level 1. It is literally the most worthless **** you can get.
    Yes, but your teachers always try to make you paranoid about failing so you get scared and work harder.

13. Post
    Sayonara wrote:
    Yes, but your teachers always try to make you paranoid about failing so you get scared and work harder.
    yeah they're ****s for that.

14. Post
    Um, having a work ethic (even if it's for an arbitrary and kind of ****ty goal) is very important.

Check out Cyber's thread for what happens when it goes missing.

15. Post
    **** im so glad i wasnt made to go through NCEA, i got bursary on the last year it was available ;D Woot '03 Graduation!!!!

Seriousness aside, how bad do you have to be to get 35 creds...... I remember you get like 5 creds for easy **** like an essay.... :|

16. Post
    The level 1 NCEA standards changed last year, these days most subjects offer less credits than they do as a result. Schools should be offering about 20 credits per course, meaning 6 subjects should now offer a total of 120 credits.

OP you need to look at the entry requirements for all of the subjects you intend to do next year and try and meet these. Then you won't be stuck repeating or filling your timetable with stuff you aren't interested. If you don't get level 1 this year your level 2 credits can be counted down, so you'll end getting it sometime next year. Assuming you don't slack off all over again..

17. Post
    v0da12 wrote:
    Please serious answers only!!!
    OP, if you can't even grasp the importance of paragraphs, you'll probably still pass NCEA. That's how retarded it is. Just get extra credits for picking up litter.

18. Post
    I think your basic subjects you will just be able to go and do level 2, but maths for example you won't be able to move on until you complete level 1 maths afaik

19. Post
    If you can't pass NCEA level 1 without trying you're ****ed.

My advice: leave school in 6th form and take on a trade like plumbing etc.

20. Post
    v0da12 wrote:

Abo, i haven't heard of anyone staying in year 11 just because he hasen't got 80 credits, but my real worry is to NOT repeat a lot of level 1 subjects. I don't know how you guys get 190 credits, because the maximum you can get in Level 1 is 130 and that's if you pass every internal and every external you get.
    You should take english, english, english, endlish and english.

21. Post
    What about English?

22. Post
    OP wtf, when i did it you needed 80, and 5th form is not hard in the least. Hell just doing maori carving was worth 70+ by itself.

23. Post
    kazza wrote:
    35 credits level 1 how.

i got like 160 without trying. You literally only have to do 10 minutes work each day to pass.
    This. I don't get how you could fail NCEA.

24. Post
    I thought it was designed so no-one could fail.

School Cert, 6th form Grading 1-9 and Bursary were the 'You pass or you fail' times. NCEA is the 'everyone passes but you're better than normal' time.

If you're not part of the everyone passes.... well i just don't know..... :|

*Edit* i know there was a name for sixth form, but its totally slipt my mind, cut me some slack it was over 10 years ago!

25. Post
    Only got 8 credits at Level 1 English, still got into Level 2 English and eventually got Merits at English at Lvl 3.

Still failed Level 3 in the end.

Still got into uni, getting A's, so I don't understand how NCEA really worked, it certainly didn't reflect my actual intelligence