Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Post

Hypothetical Games

Since I couldn't find one here I thought to make this for you to post your hypothetical game ideas/games you would(or could) make if you had the time,resources and knowledge. This is not for some iOS/android crap. But your ideas for a total conversion mod such as cry of fear and dayz or built from the ground up using a SDK -interstellar marines. And then how you would sell it or give it away.

____

I'll start with an idea I've had for a while now, utilizing the CryEngine SDK, I would create a world based off Wellington City, using google maps I could copy the street layout and if a building is an apartment, cafe, mall etc that gets put there in the game world with an altered name and logo(avoid legal stuff).

Money
    There is no real objective beyond living day by day as in you need to "obtain" money which will be deducted automatically every week since you need to pay (the constant costs, relatively unchanged by player)rent/morgage/ power/gas/water/internet (variables, so the more you use them the more they cost but they still have a base cost even if you don't use them). Money is also used for buying food, materials(wood, metals), various furnishings(from beds to computers) and equipment/weapons from axes and knives to air rifles, or if you can acquire a liscence shotguns and MSSAs(assault rifles all limited to 7 round mags, unless you make custom mags, which you do not want the cops to discover).
    Money can be "obtained" by selling various items to pawnbrokers, car dealers and recyclers(raw materials can be reduced from electronics, and being almost no risk for the selling goods of disputable ownership). Money can be earned through having a job which will consist of a steady pay but market conditions can change every day,(also it's not a good idea to steal from the business, whether through fraud or actually breaking in).

Combat (3rd/1st person)
    Combat can and very likely happen(although chances are higher in alleys and empty streets at night. Essentially everything is a weapon from the sword to the mighty pen(guns are very difficult to obtain and is not advised to walk around during the day with a rifle).
    Carrying a laptop home at night and some guy tries to mug you? Bash him over the head a couple of times and he may just run off. Or he may redouble his efforts and kill you.

Health
    The health system looks similar to Op Flashpoint RR so you can see your current limb damage, but modified so you also see other factors- stamina, blood and pain tolerance. Stamina will remain at 100% for the first minute(adrenalin) of combat but will slowly decrease, dimishing the amount of damage you deal through melee combat and your sprint distance.
    Pain and blood(to a lesser extent) also do not come into effect until the first minute is up but effects combat much more greatly, say you get cut adrenalin negates that for the first minute but if you get cut again not only will you be bleeding potentially twice as fast(cut depth a a graze has no bleed effect but a 3cm deep gash in the leg is a different story) it is possible to bleed to death if you do not seek medical attention(self healing is limited), but also you can enter a "rage" mode where adrenalin comes back into effect instantly restoring stamina to 100 but at the cost of limited vision and no finesse skills(more fisticuffs than karate).
    Pain can cause fainting/blacking out and is more about received damage. Say you break an arm, you can no longer use said arm in melee combat, no more lifting large objects, no dual wielding and 2 handed weapons are restricted by size a rifle with a strap around you will have severely reduced accuracy, a two-handed sword will deal less damage and take longer to swing.
    Eating and drinking is essential to life, so you'll have to buy food every now and then but unless it's canned, it will rot. Also sleeping regularly helps maintain stamina, but if you don't your skills will increase at a slower rate and you may lose a few points.

Crime and Punishment
    Theft is a crime and being caught will put you away for a few years and incur loss of property, being caught you would lose your awesome apartment, everything inside and money down to $5000, a crappy low paying job, harder to get new jobs, increased expenses and worst of all a decrease of skills. Theft, Assault and Murder, are the main crimes, having escalating skill penalties. Theft can be found out if you sell large quantities of (item/s) to the people and the may get suspicious.

Skills/Levels
    Certain actions may require a minimum skill level such as lockpicking you mad need atleast a skill of 20 to attempt to pick a lock but if you have 40 the success rate is increased by 50% and at 60 your speed is doubled with 99 being the maximum and cracking it almost instantly. Performing a skill action will increase your skill level. Ever wanted to max out your stats? Well then sign up to a gym, there you can increase your strength/speed/agility, but you can buy certain pieces of equipment to increase them but never expect instant results. Skills have to be maintained if your skill is higher though it will drop at a slower rate, so if you don't pick any locks for a while expect to start forgetting. Internet, yes there is a reason for it beyond entertainment(of varying forms) you can increase your skills but will be over the process of a week(capped to level 50).

Jobs
    A job can be where your character spends most of his/her day at, working hard to get money, but it can get rather boring at work...
    Not all jobs are exactly legal, these range from smuggling, item/vehicle retrieval to planting (mostly false)evidence, "teaching someone a lesson" (vandalism/assault) and assassinations, the last two can only be given by gang/mob/mafia members.

Character Customisation
    That's right make your own character, but also their past effects their skills so if they were a sporty kid then they get a boost to speed etc.

CO-OP
    That's right want to rob a bank, but don't have the skill/resources or need someone to watch your back? Take it online or to a LAN.

How would I achieve all this, well it being my dream game it would do a lot myself and work on it in my free time and I could recruit some modders to help work on textures and programming. How would I sell it? I wouldn't I would start a kickstarter for donations and give it away free to the world(with those kickstarter guys getting their hands on it first and to ensure future support). Am I going to far, hell I am but this is a hypothetical game.

2. Post

3. Post
    Your game sounds like IRL.

4. Post
    Walk out your house door and start playing.

5. Post
    interesting idea,sounds cool

6. Post
    [GTA Forums]

7. Post
    Would only buy if you could blow up parliament.

8. Post
    Black Plague*** [GTA Forums]
    (if possible this would be typed in a font size of 1) I have never played GTA or had any interest in it.
    Pxndx Walk out your house door and start playing.
    Walk out the virtual door and start living. High chance I would lose touch with reality even without an Occulus Rift.
    And if someone steals this idea: (from 0:10 and sub daughter for idea)

9. Post
    InquisitorZim Would only buy if you could blow up parliament.
    CryEngine allows for destruction, maybe not frostbite scale, but if you can somehow manufacture the explosives or steal a missile somehow, otherwise all you can get is fireworks.

10. Post
    Anyone else got some of their ideas for a game they want to share? I'll post a new idea every week if I have to keep this going, until you guys start posting some of your own.

11. Post
    This' an idea that I had which'll be "Zzzzzz" to a lot of people... but I'd still like to play it.

A large open-world, freerunning/parkour MMO involving really intricate skyscrapers, platforms, canyons and sky cities where you can party up with a small group of other free-runners to explore the world, and co-op together to reach new areas you can't get to alone. For example one player slinging / hoisting another player up to a higher ledge, and the group gets awarded at the top of extremely tall buildings with some cosmetic items for the teamwork. Another example is one player hoisting another up to a chain, who's weight on the chain pulls up a platform on the other end of it, allowing the first player to hoist a THIRD player up to that new platform, up to a switch to lower a stairway for his other teammates.....

Some of the sky cities will only be accessible through teamwork, and they can range from hi-tec sci-fi cities, to more ruined Babylonian cities (think "Laputa").

Basically assassins creed single player world gameplay vibe, (not the small multiplayer levels), with dozens of other free-runners, a modern setting and sky cities with a probably more casual gamer demographic in mind.

Again... "Zzzzz" to many people, but I'd still like to play it.

12. Post
    Never really had a game idea (beyond silly ideas when I was much younger) but I have always thought I could improve on what has already been done.

Many FPS games have atrocious stories and story-telling. Now, I'm no writer but it feels like most FPS games are written to appeal to anyone age 11 and up (regardless of there actual rating). I would love to make a choice-based linear game with a deep story. Basically a game in which you can make story altering decisions, but it's not completely open (there is limited choice - but more than the usual; Shall I kill him? Or let him go?). I guess you could think of it as a story tree, with many different branches and multiple endings. Probably a lot of work though, but it would give it decent re-playability. Note that this shouldn't be confused with an RPG like Skyrim. It still needs the action, interaction and polish of a linear type story.

In fact, does anyone know if this sort of thing has been done before? I've played action games with choice, but it tends to be superficial or very limited. For example; GTA4 and assassination missions. Maybe FC3 is like this, but haven't played it yet.

13. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    Never really had a game idea (beyond silly ideas when I was much younger) but I have always thought I could improve on what has already been done.

Many FPS games have atrocious stories and story-telling. Now, I'm no writer but it feels like most FPS games are written to appeal to anyone age 11 and up (regardless of there actual rating). I would love to make a choice-based linear game with a deep story. Basically a game in which you can make story altering decisions, but it's not completely open (there is limited choice - but more than the usual; Shall I kill him? Or let him go?). I guess you could think of it as a story tree, with many different branches and multiple endings. Probably a lot of work though, but it would give it decent re-playability. Note that this shouldn't be confused with an RPG like Skyrim. It still needs the action, interaction and polish of a linear type story.

In fact, does anyone know if this sort of thing has been done before? I've played action games with choice, but it tends to be superficial or very limited. For example; GTA4 and assassination missions. Maybe FC3 is like this, but haven't played it yet.
    Sounds a lot like Deus Ex.

-e- The Mass Effect games could almost qualify as well, though they have hubworlds and more RPG elements.

14. Post
    Sounds great. Running with your friends in a cyberpunk city being chased down the cops up a skyscraper(under construction) your friend runs ahead to the wall, you run up to him and he throws you up and then he runs partly up the wall for you to help him up or leave him behind. You keep going and then... there's nowhere left to run, you blow a hole in a wall or jump through the glass and base jump away.

15. Post
    A persistent open-world sandbox post-apocalyptic zombie/mutant simulator set in 3 ruined cities with wasteland/forest, a cross between Fallout, STALKER, GTA, Battlefield and DayZ.

16. Post
    supreme commander 2 with earth size map

17. Post
    I always wanted either a sandbox type game with combat similar to mount & blade set in ancient greece with a sweeping campaign and a bunch of content (like Elder Scrolls) or a persistent world MMO with the same first person real time melee combat mechanics.

18. Post
    You mean something like this?
    http://launch2.universeprojects.com/

19. Post
    s0cks wrote:

What you've described was the literal core design philosophy behind Alpha Protocol. No other game come close in terms of choices and consequences tying together throughout the game. Helps that it's also a reasonably adult game as well. Combat is largely regarded as shit though.

20. Post
    a game all about picking up chicks, i.e. leisure suit larry but much harder and more consequences and uncensored action

21. Post
    KrimzinZV wrote:
    Sounds great. Running with your friends in a cyberpunk city being chased down the cops up a skyscraper(under construction) your friend runs ahead to the wall, you run up to him and he throws you up and then he runs partly up the wall for you to help him up or leave him behind. You keep going and then... there's nowhere left to run, you blow a hole in a wall or jump through the glass and base jump away.
    There's tons of potential for action if that's your fancy.

I was thinking more of a game akin to Journey, where it's more about the agile exploration (and the narrative, though that'll lose structure in a sandbox setting). You can hop on the roofs of hover cars in traffic to work your way up to a town on the moon or other scenarios, without the needed appeal of combat etc.

That being said, good combat is always fun and in terms of passing around ideas, the action scenario you posted sounds like it'd be really fun.

22. Post
    A Brothers in Arms style multiplayer game.

23. Post
    Well anyone who says parkour my mind instantly goes "Mirror's Edge" but I had an idea of Brink but better say take BF3(almost everything from it) and give it CoD multiplayer game modes(like one in the chamber) and turn it into a destrutible city working in parkour but also something to "tag" a wall/object to scale or destroy, so you can more easily vault from an object, run along a wall while simultaneously aiming a rpg at the adjacent wall, blowing a hole through, base jumping away(yes I played a lot or rush on damavand peak for only one reason) and detonating a (game winning)bomb.

24. Post
    eug1404 wrote:
    What you've described was the literal core design philosophy behind Alpha Protocol. No other game come close in terms of choices and consequences tying together throughout the game. Helps that it's also a reasonably adult game as well. Combat is largely regarded as shit though.
    Thanks, I'll have a look.

25. Post
    dragonfruit818 wrote:
    a game all about picking up chicks, i.e. leisure suit larry but much harder and more consequences and uncensored action
    So Japanese hentai games?