1. Post

THQ Bankrupt?

http://nerdreactor.com/2012/12/19/thbankrupt/

Well thats a bit of a bummer if this is true. I like THQ

2. Eagle32

3. Post
    We all saw this coming with the Humble Bundle, though... Right?

4. Post
    That post confuses me - can someone financially savvy explain how they're bankrupt but fine and still planning on making games?

5. Post
    Company of Heroes 2 better still come out!!!

6. Post
    They have filed for Chapter 11.

Basically this is protection from creditors calling in debt forcing Bankruptcy. It then allows an agreed time for the business and assets to be sold for less the debt outstanding. Once that has happened the new purchaser then liaises with creditors to clear the debt.

However, if THQ doesn't sell then bankruptcy will follow.

Plenty of companies over the years have been through this procedure and come out fine.

As I had said in a post 6 weeks ago, my guess is EA will pick up THQ (mainly for the IP's) for a song now that Chapter 11 has been filed.

7. Post
    it will be business as normal except thq no longer own any of their assets clearlake do and clearlake will basically provide money to sign the cheques.

8. Post
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/19/thbankruptcy/

They're still going to push out the games that were in development apparently.

9. Post
    Its a good thing. The games get out. The company can survive. Marvel filed the same in the 90s now its back up high and Disney recently purchased it

10. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    As I had said in a post 6 weeks ago, my guess is EA will pick up THQ (mainly for the IP's) for a song now that Chapter 11 has been filed.
    The whole point of a stalking horse bid is that it shouldn't be too cheap. EA would be looking at $70-80 mill at least. Does THQ really have that much strong original IP?

11. Post
    eug1404 wrote:
    The whole point of a stalking horse bid is that it shouldn't be too cheap. EA would be looking at $70-80 mill at least. Does THQ really have that much strong original IP?
    WWE

12. Post
    UFC, Games workshop etc

Edit CoH, Darksiders, Red Faction, SR + tonnes of gimmicy kid's games tghat always sell

13. Post
    eug1404 wrote:
    Another Article wrote:
    In court documents, THQ listed assets of $204.8 million and debts of $248.1 million. According to court filings, THQ's debtors include World Wrestling Entertainment (owed $45 million), developer Yuke's (owed $17.7 million) and toymaker Mattel (owed $12.75 million).
    Source

I'd say if EA (speculation on my behalf) did pick up THQ for $80mil that'd be a song for the listed assets and the aforementioned IP's

14. Post
    NiNjA-Keeley wrote:
    UFC, Games workshop etc

Edit CoH, Darksiders, Red Faction, SR + tonnes of gimmicy kid's games tghat always sell
    You forgot Metro.

15. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Source

I'd say if EA (speculation on my behalf) did pick up THQ for $80mil that'd be a song for the listed assets and the aforementioned IP's
    They pickup the debts as well, they'd be paying tens of millions of dollars to acquire tens of millions in extra debt(above the value of the company's assets) for only a couple truly strong IPs .

entensity wrote:
    WWE
    NiNjA-Keeley wrote:
    UFC, Games workshop etc
    Chickenman wrote:
    You forgot Metro.
    Lots of those are licensed (e.g. Game Workshop) and not owned by THQ. Should THQ fail EA could get those IP straight from the licensers (much cheaper than buying THQ with all its debts) if they wanted. Of the original IP the only ones likely to appeal to a AAA publisher like EA is SR and Darksiders. EA like console friendly action games. CoH is an RTS and by all accounts EA view that genre poorly. Red Faction has been milked into consumer disdain, Metro is a weak IP.

16. Post
    Poor Relic

17. Post
    Nakor wrote:
    Well thats a bit of a bummer if this is true. I like THQ

18. Post
    Rebound wrote:
    This

19. Post
    jason rubin explains the current situation nicely and of course a bit of postive pr spin towards the end.

http://www.thq.com/us/go/article/vie...om_jason_rubin

20. Post
    Ive been a fan of THQ since I was a kid, I think my first THQ game was a sponge bob game on pc that mum got me, was quite fun from what I remember. I hope they come out of this.

21. Post
    They also haven't been regionally pricing us on Steam into oblivion like some of the other publishers.
    Eagle32

22. Post
    Rebound wrote: