Gaming General Discussion Thread

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Page 1 of 96 12341151 ... Last

1. News

Gaming General Discussion Thread

Too often I find myself wanting to talk about something specific in a game or have a recommendation for people or have a brain fart I want to share, but don't really have the thread to post it in. And I'm definitely not going to create a new thread for such comments.

I thought a General Discussion thread could work quite well. The closest thing we have to this is the screenshot thread, but it's not always convenient to post a screenshot and it doesn't really allow general talk about games.

So what are you playing at the moment? Any really neat indie games you can recommend? When's HL3 coming out? Got anything to say that's even remotely related to gaming?

Been cranking a bit of this lately and it's done really well to bring something new to the adventure genre. Having only a flashlight and a gun is a nice change, allowing for some pretty intense moments as you juggle your battery and your ammunition.
    Hope the second one is even better... anyone played both?

2. Post
    SoGTS

3. Post
    I'm actually playing The Castle of Dr. Brain in DOSbox chasing a bit of old-school nostalgia:

Also waiting for Bientôt l'été - Extravagant to finish downloading on DA's recommendation.

4. Post
    I played a bit of Alan Wake earlier this year but it didn't appeal to me much for whatever reason. I might give it another shot at some stage.

Does anybody else get severe motion sickness from playing particular games? I'm playing Portal 2 atm and while the game is awesomesauce I can't play for more than an hour before I feel like I'm going to vomit all over my keyboard. I had the same problem with the first Portal and Mirrors Edge, and I also get it when watching over someones shoulder when they're playing a FPS. Weird or what?

5. Post
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    I played a bit of Alan Wake earlier this year but it didn't appeal to me much for whatever reason. I might give it another shot at some stage.

Does anybody else get severe motion sickness from playing particular games? I'm playing Portal 2 atm and while the game is awesomesauce I can't play for more than an hour before I feel like I'm going to vomit all over my keyboard. I had the same problem with the first Portal and Mirrors Edge, and I also get it when watching over someones shoulder when they're playing a FPS. Weird or what?
    I cant seem to handle 1st person in dayz for to long due to how your characters head bobs up and down while you run its like being on a boat lol.

6. Post
    Never had that problem myself but I know TotalBiscuit was getting it from War Z - seemed related to the aspect ratio

7. Post
    its_inevitable wrote:
    SoGTS
    inb4 hos

8. Post
    Have downloaded Home - wondering if I have what it takes to play it.

9. Post
    Having bought Dungeon Keeper 2 for old skool nostalgia trip, i have spent more time in this game than the current AA games, don't know if that's either sad of my gaming experience, or games today are just unappealing to me and boredom kicks in half way through and that's lucky if i get that far

say i ain't forever alone with this feeling.

10. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    seemed related to the aspect ratio
    Interesting. There's no option to change the fov in the game so I might have to check the .ini file and see if any tweaks there help.

11. Post
    K so I've posted these in the ps3 forum but what the hell.

Loving king of fighters xiii on PS3. Just under $19 on psn. I suck at it, cant manage a drive cancel which is like a fundamental or something, and online is a bit laggy, but as far as fighting games go outside of Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations I'm pouring as much time into it as I can.

Speaking of Nuns - Storm 3 will be out late march. Looks farken amazing

12. Post
    InvisibleShadow wrote:

I played it on 360 on release, it was probably the best game I played that year. Really hope a sequel appears.

I did get occasionally nauseous in Portal 1 & 2 at points when you were bouncing up and down between portals and having to reorientate yourself with the floor again to fire a new higher portal made me feel ill. Only games that have done so but it quickly passed if I stopped playing for a bit.

13. Post
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    I might give it another shot at some stage.
    Give it another shot. Easily one of my favourite games, it really needs a proper sequel. American Nightmare didn't really do it for me, however.

14. Post
    They Bleed Pixels is pretty awesome, would recommend. If you aren't ****.
    Because it's hard.

Arrrrrrrrr.

15. Post
    I got stuck a few chapters into Alan Wake, ran out of ammo and couldn't backtrack.

I'm currently playing ME3 and nothing else until I finally finish it

16. Post
    Currently having a massive fun time running through Darksiders 2. Seriously impressive game and makes me think I havnt given enough love to THQ over the years.

I also noticed something and I am not sure if its an age thing (Im 36), a game quality thing, or the nature of the instant gratification/instant access to anything I want media wise but I am having trouble staying focused on one game for any length of time.

I've been off work on medical leave for the past year so its not that I havnt had the time to sit back and game my brains out, but anything over an hour or so just seems too long and I either get bored or distracted. I played Dishonored mission by mission, hell I think the only game I put more than 2 hours in at one sitting in the last year was Far Cry 3 and some Diablo 3 during the first couple of weeks.

Also I think a thread name change would be cool. I suggest Gaming Open Discussion, or the GOD thread.

17. Post
    ^^ speaking of darksiders 2 / age, my Mum played it right through and shes mid 50s. She loved the **** out of it.

Ive not been able to commit to a game in depth since the arrival of my son a year ago so games like that are out of the question for me. I get a slither of game time at night but thats about it. I remember speeding through dark souls just to finish it before he was born haha.

18. Post
    Am halfway through Darksiders - have put in 12 hours the last couple of days, am looking forward to moving onto Darksiders II when I'm done. Picked it up on PS3 when it came out but never really played it, glad I picked it up recently and gave it a decent go.

19. Post
    Haven't really looked at the Darksiders franchise before. If I can find the time I might give it a try.

cryocore wrote:
    I also noticed something and I am not sure if its an age thing (Im 36), a game quality thing, or the nature of the instant gratification/instant access to anything I want media wise but I am having trouble staying focused on one game for any length of time.

I've been off work on medical leave for the past year so its not that I havnt had the time to sit back and game my brains out, but anything over an hour or so just seems too long and I either get bored or distracted. I played Dishonored mission by mission, hell I think the only game I put more than 2 hours in at one sitting in the last year was Far Cry 3 and some Diablo 3 during the first couple of weeks.
    I can still play Skyrim for hours on end without even noticing how much time has passed (I ended up installing the clock in loadscreen mod for this reason ), and I still occasionally do the 8 hours+ session on MW3 or Halo 4. But the time I spend gaming has dropped off significantly from 2 years ago and the sessions are generally getting shorter as well.

My problem is that I feel utterly drained after getting home from work and all I feel like doing is to kick back, listen to some music and talk sh*t in GPOD.

20. Post
    Been non - diablo Arpg'ing. Finished the first play through of Torchlight 2 with an engineer and kinda lost interest in keeping going.

Moved on to Path of Exile closed beta and enjoying it a lot so far.

21. Post
    shadybrothers wrote:
    Have downloaded Home - wondering if I have what it takes to play it.
    I did not find it to be scary, and the story was nonsensical with large plot holes.

22. Post
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    My problem is that I feel utterly drained after getting home from work and all I feel like doing is to kick back, listen to some music and talk sh*t in GPOD.
    I find the same thing sometimes, try to sit down and do some gaming, end up just pissing around on the net, end up watching tv. Other nights I can load up Skyrim and not get to bed until after midnight

23. Post
    Darksiders 1&2 are definitely great games...I'm kind of sad it took the discount of a bankrupt company to make me and many others realise this. I hope the creators behind the IP are snatched up and allowed to continue.

It has the great balance of combat, puzzles, platforming, and story that I haven't seen since FF7/Zelda:OoT...mind you, I haven't played God of War, and just looking at reviews; the 2 games look very similar.

24. Post
    Shikari wrote:
    I did not find it to be scary, and the story was nonsensical with large plot holes.
    Might try it out later, how long is it?

25. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    I know quite a number of people feeling the same, myself included. It's really weird.
    Even brand new games don't get played for more than an hour or so. Previously assumed it was because I was either stoned or was spoiled for choice (heaps of games, clocked very few). Now I'm wondering if it's an indication of games nowadays or due to my age - or both. I definitely feel games aren't living up to standards we should be seeing, or really aren't challenging enough.

Page 1 of 96 12341151 ... Last