Gaming General Discussion Thread

Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
(6 votes)
Results 4,851 to 4,875 of 4969

1. Post
    Cryo* wrote:
    To ban an entire control scheme, in this case keyboard and mouse in an FPS, to supposedly create an 'even' playing field seems misplaced. You would never see Microsoft ban joysticks in Flight Simulator, or Capcom ban arcade sticks in Street Fighter, and so on and so forth for anyone half serious about their game of choice.
    Flight Simulator isn't a competitive game, so there isn't a need for an even playing field. As for arcade sticks and wheels, they don't provide anything near the advantage that KB+M does over gamepad in FPS titles (imo, obviously)

As for the console peasant / PC master race stuff, it's just so played out. If it was ever clever or funny, it ceased being so years ago, and now it's only the dim or uninteresting who feel the need to parrot it.

Fortunately, like a loud car exhaust or a MAGA cap, it serves a purpose: it lets everyone else know that person is probably best ignored

2. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Of course, when one has become a peasant, they don't want their fall from grace pointed out to them
    Sshhhhhhhh. I love PC's to death, but as I barely game I couldn't justify having 2k sit there being used for YouTube .

I've still got a PC by the way so I'm still a PC gamer. If you count Dota 2,lol and PS2 era as games

3. Post
    I await the inevitable new build thread you'll post at some point during the year

4. Post
    I wouldn't rule it out lol

5. Post
    Finished It.
    It took a while but Divinity: Original Sin EE is crossed off the list.
    129 hours (though some of that would be AFK)

Played more in the last 6 weeks than i did when i bought it a year ago. Couldnt get into it at first but once i got a few skills it became much better.

Party :
    Roderick - Front line tank build with sword and shield. Taunt and soak up damage.
    Maldora - front line 2 hand weapon expert. Great damage to single mobs.
    Scarlett - Water healer and witchcraft. Healing the party and cursing enemies.
    Jahan - Wizard casting earth and lightning. Damage wasnt spectacular but had good crowd control. Stuns and knockdowns.

Overall verdict - a lot of fun. Im tempted to start again with a rogue - some of the scoundrel skills look interesting but i want to give Pillars of Eternity a try. Downside of the game for me was that i had to rely on external walk-throughs far too much as the next steps were far too vague in a lot of cases.

6. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    Flight Simulator isn't a competitive game, so there isn't a need for an even playing field. As for arcade sticks and wheels, they don't provide anything near the advantage that KB+M does over gamepad in FPS titles (imo, obviously)

As for the console peasant / PC master race stuff, it's just so played out. If it was ever clever or funny, it ceased being so years ago, and now it's only the dim or uninteresting who feel the need to parrot it.

Fortunately, like a loud car exhaust or a MAGA cap, it serves a purpose: it lets everyone else know that person is probably best ignored
    yes because imwithher and feelthebern merchandise is the way to go

ludez wrote:
    Also I'm one of these so called peasants that games on console. PC master race isn't a thing, it's just a bunch of elitists justifying their $2000+ boxes, while trying to piss on people who either can't afford a top tier rig or just to troll. Console vs PC is stupid, and the people who fight about it and post pcmr etc are pretty annoying at the least.
    but u don't have to spend 2k or more to enjoy the convenience of using a pc. u can get a decent one for 1k+.
    console gaming can easily be more expensive than gaming on pc in not such a long term

lumpy custard wrote:
    It totally makes sense they'd want everyone on controllers. If not then the only way to be competitive is to buy new hardware.... Hardcore existing fans will buy extra stuff but the masses (which Blizzard targets) would rather move to another game where they feel more competitive with their current gear.

Also PCMR is generally light-hearted and satirical, although the humour is 100% based on the assumption of superiority (which is what upsets some people). PCMR subreddit is up to 750k and counting, so even if the idea seems elitist it seems there are a lot of ppl looking to have a laugh about their hobby.
    basically this

7. Post
    lumpy custard wrote:
    PCMR is generally light-hearted and satirical, although the humour is 100% based on the assumption of superiority (which is what upsets some people). PCMR subreddit is up to 750k and counting, so even if the idea seems elitist it seems there are a lot of ppl looking to have a laugh about their hobby.
    Groowee wrote:
    basically this
    I know it was a joke when Yahtzee said it back in 2008. What I'm contending now is that almost a decade on, it's no longer amusing.

I'd also challenge the notion that most people using the phrase are using it for anything remotely resembling satire or "having a laugh at their hobby" - most are just being obnoxious to wind other people up, feel better about their expensive PCs, or feel part of a team (because humans are dumb like that and will divide into teams over goddamn near anything).

PC is clearly the best gaming system in most circumstances if you can afford it - doubly so if you have the know-how to have a lounge/TV and study/monitor setup to cover your bases, and don't mind a bit of troubleshooting every now and then. And depending on how many games you play, it can work out cheaper. These things are undisputable.

What I'm just so bored of is seeing the phrase everywhere, parroted by people who think it is somehow still witty. At best, it's just another pointless comment. At worst, it completely derails threads. It's a knee-jerk Pavlovian response of the simple-minded. It's people yelling "I'm Rick James, bitch!" at Dave Chappelle stand-up shows.

Yet here we are, almost 10 years later, stuck with PCMR.

But like I said, of course people are welcome to use it - it just allows me to tune out anything else they say in advance

"Let me tell you about being vegetarian" > "I do crossfit" >>>>>> "PCMR" >>> "Heard of a cool dude named Jesus?"

8. Post
    I reckon the whole PCMR thing is a load of shit these days when most games (mainly AAA) don't even work properly on PC at launch. At least with console you know the game will work when you first put it in.

9. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    I reckon the whole PCMR thing is a load of shit these days when most games don't even work properly on PC at launch. At least with console you know the game will work when you first put it in.
    Oh pcmr got you covered there too bro,it's cause all games are made for consoles.

I'll admit it is nice chucking the game on and not having to mess with any settings. I'm perfectly happy being a filthy casual.

It just irks me when people spout pcmr as if they are superior, Matt just rekt pcmr fanbois too

10. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    Gotta disagree with this, trying to play a sim racing game like DiRT Rally or Assetto Corsa with a controller gives you about the same disadvantage as playing using a controller on CS:GO, yet wheels are still allowed.

Also, people are misinterpreting the article entirely, they're not saying they don't want M/KB users, they're saying they don't want third party conversion devices. What confuses me though as there has been official support on Sony's side of things since the PS3 days (see: UT3/FF11/FF14) so I don't understand why they're asking for official support.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 15th February 2017 at 2:48 pm.

11. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Gotta disagree with this, trying to play a sim racing game like DiRT Rally or Assetto Corsa with a controller gives you about the same disadvantage as playing using a controller on CS:GO, yet wheels are still allowed.
    Good to know. I admit I'm a complete casual when it comes to racing games. I'm actually worse with a wheel than a controller, and that is saying something

BURN_BABY wrote:
    Also, people are misinterpreting the article entirely, they're not saying they don't want M/KB users, they're saying they don't want third party peripheral devices.
    Yeah, exactly.

BURN_BABY wrote:
    What confuses me though as there has been official support on Sony's side of things since the PS3 days (see: UT3) so I don't understand why they're asking for official support.
    As far as I can tell, it is up to each individual developer whether it enables KB+M in its game or not, and most don't (War Thunder is one exception). But KB+M works by default in the menus and browser etc

12. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Oh pcmr got you covered there too bro,it's cause all games are made for consoles.

I'll admit it is nice chucking the game on and not having to mess with any settings. I'm perfectly happy being a filthy casual.

It just irks me when people spout pcmr as if they are superior, Matt just rekt pcmr fanbois too
    saying someone got rekt is even worse attempt at winding people up than just casually throwing out 'pcmr'

again, the pcmr thing works because it isn't based on a bs premise. it works as a joke and an argument. and it does succeed in annoying its target audience. even when discussing this topic it was mentioned just at the end of an argument as a simple joke.

also buying games at launch is a dummy move. at least have some self respect and don't complain about it

being happy because 'it simply works' isn't always too attractive. running constant 25fps at 900p with no fix in sight until the next generation when you will be given the opportunity to buy the game again doesn't always sound too appealing either

13. Post
    I thought jokes were meant to be funny?

14. Post
    I never realized it was so offensive to anyone. It's not like ppl are sitting around thinking up new ways to insult their lower class brethren.

There's always the console subforums...

15. Post
    ludez wrote:
    I thought jokes were meant to be funny?
    Some people find (Melissa McCarthy/Jim Carrey/Adam Sandler/insert other lover or hate comedian here) funny, some don't.

16. Post
    Well I've finally finished both Arkham games in the "HD" pack. They somehow made it worse than the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions. Both "remasters" are laggy as hell in bits. I think Asylum was the better game in the pack. Didn't notice too much slowdown apart from the boss fights. Oh well Mass Effect: Andromeda is next for my gaming buzz

17. Post
    Playing RTS games again. Havin a blast against medium difficulty AI (im pretty shit) in Dawn of war. Anyone still doin DoW1 of CoH1? Im pretty shit but would be keen for co-op. Smoolander on steam if u you are keen!

18. Post
    skip to 1:40 for talk on rising storm 2 Vietnam https://www.twitch.tv/videos/122950088

19. Post
    WarZoner wrote:
    Well I've finally finished both Arkham games in the "HD" pack. They somehow made it worse than the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions. Both "remasters" are laggy as hell in bits. I think Asylum was the better game in the pack. Didn't notice too much slowdown apart from the boss fights. Oh well Mass Effect: Andromeda is next for my gaming buzz
    Runs smooth as in beast mode go buy a pro

20. Post
    DoW2 was much better

21. Post
    Playstation has better exclusive releases than pc anyway. Also pc is limited cant really play fighting games or sports games multiplayer with same freedom. Online on pc is also full of modders and cheats that ruin the experience. Unless you solely play fps/strategy games then you are missing out big time without a ps4.

22. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Runs smooth as in beast mode go buy a pro
    Meh.. no thanks rather stick with my Xbox one S... Prolly just some badly done effort they done on the ports.

23. Post
    Usergame wrote:
    Playstation has better exclusive releases than pc anyway. Also pc is limited cant really play fighting games or sports games multiplayer with same freedom. Online on pc is also full of modders and cheats that ruin the experience. Unless you solely play fps/strategy games then you are missing out big time without a ps4.
    Yeah I pretty much agree plus you know most games will work properly straight out of the box with consoles. My only gripe with buying PS4 games is that they cost double the price than on PC.

24. Post
    Usergame wrote:
    The crap thing about console is that you can't get bots to do your farming for you. Really ruins the experience.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

25. Post
    Cryo* wrote:
    The fact that Blizzard wants to go so as far as to ban K+M setups on consoles is extremely telling in the least. It would appear Growee's anecdote above is on point. Read the Blizzard thread and see the many console players complaining, quite laughably, that their fellow players are using K+M setups (to play an FPS no less) to gain an unfair advantage over them. Ironically, the commenter above Kaplan rightly points out that many console gamers also use arcade sticks, like Hori, to play fighter games. Seems common sense that you would use the right tool for the job. Extrapolate from all this cringe-worthy salt and this is why we just can't have nice things. Oh and PC Master Race too strong of course.
    As other's have mentioned, people are interpreting Blizzard's words wrong. Either support KB+M natively or not at all.

Another thing that NEEDS to be taken into consideration is there are disabled players who use KB+M converters on their consoles. These devices shouldn't be outlawed (not like they can do anything to stop them anyway).

ludez wrote:
    I take offence at being called a peasant because I own a certain piece of hardware. And I find the majority of the PC base bar the enthusiasts are uptight and toxic towards anyone who isn't in their eco system. It's downright rude and annoying reading pcmr all the time.

This is coming from an enthusiast PC gamer by the way. I've just gone to console recently
    Again, it's satire and the actual PC elitists are a VOCAL MINORITY. You'll find that most PC gamers are too busy actually playing games and are largely indifferent to console gamers.

Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    I reckon the whole PCMR thing is a load of shit these days when most games (mainly AAA) don't even work properly on PC at launch. At least with console you know the game will work when you first put it in.
    Truly broken PC ports are few and far in-between in reality these days actually. A lot of cases it's just over-exaggeration by anal retentive vocal minority; you'll always get people who're impossible to please. "ZOMG, not enough options in the graphical settings menu, WHAT A DISASTER!!!!!111"

Even when we do get sub-par ports they're often still the best way to experience the game. Again truly broken ports like Arkham Knight on launch are a rarity. You don't want to die on this hill.

BURN_BABY wrote:
    Also, people are misinterpreting the article entirely, they're not saying they don't want M/KB users, they're saying they don't want third party conversion devices. What confuses me though as there has been official support on Sony's side of things since the PS3 days (see: UT3/FF11/FF14) so I don't understand why they're asking for official support.
    This.

I keep hearing on podcasts that MS are working towards native KB+M anyway. There's that Sony-endorse KB+M mapper device from Hori too. Consoles are probably going in the direction of providing native KB+M support, especially Xbox.

Usergame wrote:
    Playstation has better exclusive releases than pc anyway.
    Subjective opinions aren't facts, buddy.

Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Yeah I pretty much agree plus you know most games will work properly straight out of the box with consoles.
    Most games will work properly straight out of the box with PC.

This gen you gotta install those console games, wait for those Playstation firmware updates and game patches to download over those slow network cards in PS4. A lot of AAA games these days ship to physical retailers unfinished and rely upon day 1 patches from the internet. PS2 era convenience from consoles are far from a given.