Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 49

  1. Post
    #1

    Nvidia Shield..

    Anyone else watch the CES 2013 demo? 4k movies, hdmi out, android and steam game streaming to the device or through to tv, looks pretty mint...

  2. Post
    #2
    Being locked down to Nvidia video cards kills it for me. I can't guarantee I'll always be using a Nvidia GPU. I have a PC attached to the TV anyway.

  3. Post
    #3
    Yeah, I do that as well. It'd be nice not to need to, but it's dependant on nvidia cards, and possibly on steam big picture mode.

    That said ATI can't write drivers to save themselves

  4. Post
    #4

  5. Post
    #5
    one_red_god wrote:
    Yeah, I do that as well. It'd be nice not to need to, but it's dependant on nvidia cards, and possibly on steam big picture mode.

    That said ATI can't write drivers to save themselves
    It is an android device so if there are some future community hacks for ATI cards it could be really interesting.

  6. Post
    #6
    So this is basically Nvidias version of Ouya? iirc Razor also have one of these things as a concept.

  7. Post
    #7
    It struck me as fairly ouya ish, only it does seem slightly more advanced, and possibly closer to production..?

  8. Post
    #8
    man. that is cool

  9. Post
    #9
    Necriss wrote:
    So this is basically Nvidias version of Ouya? iirc Razor also have one of these things as a concept.
    Looks more like a DS than a Ouya/HTPC

  10. Post
    #10
    yawn

  11. Post
    #11
    Jesus a handheld! 3DS struggling everywhere expect Japan, Vita just straight up ****ed, smart phones and tablets still on the rise... What the hell are they doing?

  12. Post
    #12
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is all because of Moore's law, the computing industry is at the real end of the performance ladder and Nvidia are looking for new financial venues.

  13. Post
    #13
    So it pretty much only plays android games? Although powerful enough to play all upcoming games with better controls.

    I'd probably rather this
    http://www.razerzone.com/projectfiona/tech_specs

  14. Post
    #14
    the article i read said it can play games on par with consoles.

  15. Post
    #15
    "Besides playing Android games, Project Shield will also stream game from GeForce-equipped PCs to the controller, like a personal version of OnLive. The streaming feature will give gamers access to all of their PC games, including those housed in their Steam libraries, making it possible to game on the go. Owning this device will essentially guarantee that you won’t ever get anything done while traveling ever again."

    im a little confused by the streaming on the go part

  16. Post
    #16
    It means your PC will be sitting at home rendering the game and streaming the output over to your Nvidia shield, where you send your commands back to your PC via the internet. Live internet gaming streaming or whatever the terminology is.

    If you don't have an Nvidia card then bad luck I guess.

  17. Post
    #17
    one_red_god wrote:
    That said ATI can't write drivers to save themselves
    I've had just as many actual driver issues with Nvidia cards as I have with AMD/ATI cards. Driver control panel issues, on the other hand....

  18. Post
    #18
    Because my mobile internet on my hand held is going to be super reliable on the move and I'm definitely not going to have any issues streaming stuff to it.

    But it's OK it'll work super in my house on my own network... where I might as well sit at my pc and play instead.
    Eagle32
    Guest

  19. Post
    #19
    bzE wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is all because of Moore's law, the computing industry is at the real end of the performance ladder and Nvidia are looking for new financial venues.
    Could be, Nvidia have been trying to expand there markets from just video cards for a long time. Dunno how successful tegra is for them.

  20. Post
    #20
    Im a little confused.
    Is it a portable console, or an enhanced PC controller, or both?

  21. Post
    #21
    Eagle32 wrote:
    Because my mobile internet on my hand held is going to be super reliable on the move and I'm definitely not going to have any issues streaming stuff to it.

    But it's OK it'll work super in my house on my own network... where I might as well sit at my pc and play instead.
    I'm sure they designed it for NZ with this feature in mind.

  22. Post
    #22
    Eterno wrote:
    It means your PC will be sitting at home rendering the game and streaming the output over to your Nvidia shield, where you send your commands back to your PC via the internet. Live internet gaming streaming or whatever the terminology is.

    If you don't have an Nvidia card then bad luck I guess.
    yeah, so wots the ****ing point eh.

  23. Post
    #23
    Ok so heres what it is because you all seem confused.

    At home:

    Stream games from Steam etc to the small handheld display and/or output to your HDTV using Steam Big Picture etc... can also launch any game on PC afaik - requires NVIDIA GTX card.

    While traveling:

    Android gaming tablet integrated with tegra 4 and the nvidia "tegrazone' which features games developed for nvidias tegra chipset (Nexus 7, nexus 10 etc)

    It CANNOT stream your PC games over an internet connection yet, only WIFI



    The ability to connect it to my TV and stream from my PC is pretty huge meaning you won't be chained to your PC in a different room etc

  24. Post
    #24
    It's a pretty impressive mobile chip for sure.

    But if nvidia built an actual SOC console that didn't have to be mobile sized, that'd be fairly impressive.

  25. Post
    #25
    Bt wrote:
    The ability to connect it to my TV and stream from my PC is pretty huge meaning you won't be chained to your PC in a different room etc
    I disagree. I think it will be a gimmick feature that a few people think is awesome while everyone else just keeps using there existing consoles/pcs/handhelds.
    Eagle32
    Guest