Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post
    Hey guys,

I live in a house of gamers, but recently we've all become a little disjointed. With BF3 now getting old, it's now more difficult to find decent games. BLOPS2 lost it's appeal a few weeks in, and other games like FIFA & CounterStrike have become frustrating and are not played by everyone in the house.

Basically we need a new game!

Are there any games out there that are current (or very soon to be released - next month or two) that you think will fill this gaping hole? A few requirements:

- Platform to be PS3, but I will accept PC ideas (most friends have PS3, but as a flat we all have a PC)
    - Multiplayer is paramount. Team based gameplay required (we like to work together)
    - Longevity and playerbase must be semi decent. No games where the playerbase is going to disappear within a month or two.
    - First person preferred but not required.
    - Can be an MMO so long as there is no grinding (so probably no MMO then?? haha)

2. Post
    Um borderlands 2? I'm currently playing Doom 3 with a friend atm, i think that's only 2 player co-op though. I'll probably get more names when i have a look on the net as im currently trying to find co-op games to play with a friend also.

3. Post
    - Longevity and playerbase must be semi decent. No games where the playerbase is going to disappear within a month or two.

This is your problem. No games really exist like this anymore. SO many games out there, and everyone is jumping around.

As a solo gamer i'll take my best stab at this

Maybe Dota2 is what you are looking for? Can be played as teams and has a big learning curve and skill.
    Planetside2 is international so lots of players, can see that being fun as a group once you learn all the ins and outs.
    Chivalry medieval warfare i found to be a very refreshing MP experience, not sure what it is like as pre-mades.

4. Post
    IIRC CoD MW2 was your favourite FPS ever? Just crank that up again.

But for srs, as somebody who doesn't generally like RTS games much, I really liked Dawn of War for a laugh with mates. Though it sounds like you're after something you'd all be keen to whore for a good while...

I'm getting the feeling A-RPGs aren't really up your alley, though if I'm wrong you should definitely give Path of Exile a try, though if that's a bit too hardcore for you and/or you'd like a better story/more polished experience go for Diablo 3. Both would be great for some co-op multiplayer action regardless and would last for a good long time (D3 admittedly less so than PoE, unless you're not into the whole re-rolling toons to try out builds or grinding for hours on end).

I dunno about PS3 games exclusively (seems like you guys should get some 360s and crank some Halo 4, something which I'd truly get into if I had a bunch of friends close by) but maybe Borderlands 2 would be something to try? I didn't particularly enjoy it (it's pretty much exactly the same as Borderlands 1 and I had already thrashed that decently) but if you've never co-oped that excessively that would be a load of fun for 4 of ya.

If there was still a playerbase for it I'd recommend Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory above all other FPS. But as it is you'd be better off with a Battlefield-type game.

Pretty much out of luck for a non-grindy MMO. Though personally I'd love to give The Secret World a try with a few friends - new MMOs with buddies are a lot of fun.

5. Post
    Stimpy wrote:

This is your problem. No games really exist like this anymore. SO many games out there, and everyone is jumping around.

As a solo gamer i'll take my best stab at this

Maybe Dota2 is what you are looking for? Can be played as teams and has a big learning curve and skill.
    Planetside2 is international so lots of players, can see that being fun as a group once you learn all the ins and outs.
    Chivalry medieval warfare i found to be a very refreshing MP experience, not sure what it is like as pre-mades.
    Thanks Stimpy. Good suggestions. Shame they are all PC, but I'll take what I can get at the moment. Anything with a decent LAN vibe will be good. Yeah, it's hard to find a decent playerbase in NZ outside of the usual big hitters like CoD or sports games.

BananaManzK3 - Borderlands 2 crossed my mind, but we're looking for something that is PvP because killing AI isn't as satisfying.

6. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    IIRC CoD MW2 was your favourite FPS ever? Just crank that up again.

But for srs, as somebody who doesn't generally like RTS games much, I really liked Dawn of War for a laugh with mates. Though it sounds like you're after something you'd all be keen to whore for a good while...

I'm getting the feeling A-RPGs aren't really up your alley, though if I'm wrong you should definitely give Path of Exile a try, though if that's a bit too hardcore for you and/or you'd like a better story/more polished experience go for Diablo 3. Both would be great for some co-op multiplayer action regardless and would last for a good long time (D3 admittedly less so than PoE, unless you're not into the whole re-rolling toons to try out builds or grinding for hours on end).

I dunno about PS3 games exclusively (seems like you guys should get some 360s and crank some Halo 4, something which I'd truly get into if I had a bunch of friends close by) but maybe Borderlands 2 would be something to try? I didn't particularly enjoy it (it's pretty much exactly the same as Borderlands 1 and I had already thrashed that decently) but if you've never co-oped that excessively that would be a load of fun for 4 of ya.

If there was still a playerbase for it I'd recommend Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory above all other FPS. But as it is you'd be better off with a Battlefield-type game.

Pretty much out of luck for a non-grindy MMO. Though personally I'd love to give The Secret World a try with a few friends - new MMOs with buddies are a lot of fun.
    MW2? Haha. God, that game made me rage.

We already did the whole Diablo 3 thing. I lost interest pretty early as it all seemed to be rather repetitive. I guess with PvP coming out I could possibly get back into it, but I'm so far behind the rest of the household that I'd be at least a month away from being at their level (unless I grind my life away).

Got Halo 4 and I'm jamming it with one of the guys in the flat who has a 360. Agreed it would be an ideal choice if we all had a 360.

Tough finding anything that suits the requirements. It may end up being an MMO, but I hate grinding so much I fear that I'd end up losing interest pretty quickly.

7. Post
    Natural Selection 2!

8. Post
    Yeah +1 Path of exile.. It's not really the diablo3 grind from what I've seen and it'll be around for a long time. Fun time to start if nobody in the house has played it too~
    lumpy custard

9. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    Thanks Stimpy. Good suggestions. Shame they are all PC
    Not really the forum for PS3 suggestions tbh, 90% of people here are PC gamers.

My PS3 makes a great media player, pretty sure i have no games for it.

10. Post
    lumpy custard wrote:
    Yeah +1 Path of exile.. It's not really the diablo3 grind from what I've seen and it'll be around for a long time. Fun time to start if nobody in the house has played it too~
    Nah, the grind itself is pretty much exactly the same, lol. It's much worse unless you really like the idea of randomized zones. You'd have to love the gameplay differences to truly get over it.

11. Post
    Mechwarrior online

12. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    Hey guys,

I live in a house of gamers, but recently we've all become a little disjointed. With BF3 now getting old, it's now more difficult to find decent games. BLOPS2 lost it's appeal a few weeks in, and other games like FIFA & CounterStrike have become frustrating and are not played by everyone in the house.

Basically we need a new game!

Are there any games out there that are current (or very soon to be released - next month or two) that you think will fill this gaping hole? A few requirements:

- Platform to be PS3, but I will accept PC ideas (most friends have PS3, but as a flat we all have a PC)
    - Multiplayer is paramount. Team based gameplay required (we like to work together)
    - First person preferred but not required.
    - Can be an MMO so long as there is no grinding (so probably no MMO then?? haha)
    You have pretty much described DUST 514.

DUST 514 is a Team Based PS3 exclusive F2P MMOFPS based in the EVE Online Universe.

It's just gone open BETA so is found on PSN presumably. I got an invite from here about 6 months ago, so I haven't looked in how to get in to it now. Initially i have to be honest it was pretty ****. So I played fairly regularly for about 2 months, and haven't really touched it since. Although I did update the game on the weekend and had one match before the server maintenance kicked in. I hope to fire it up again tonight and have a bit more of a session tonight (twins permitting) as there is a bit of interest again in the PS forums.

13. Post
    Daaft wrote:
    Natural Selection 2!
    This, perfect teamplay game especially if you are communicating

Also could try Chivalry Medievil Warfare.

14. Post
    Daaft wrote:
    Natural Selection 2!

15. Post
    TF2?

16. Post
    wait for colonial Marines in 2 weeks.

faith in gearbox...not sega tho

17. Post
    whitenight wrote:
    wait for colonial Marines in 2 weeks.

faith in gearbox...not sega tho
    As much as I'm looking forward to playing this I don't see it lasting that long in the mp space. Granted you only need 8 people to play it so if you had a dedicated group you should always be able to get a game

18. Post
    Give planetside 2 a go. Its a free FPS MMO available on steam. I played a bit last night and it was pretty good. It would probably be fun playing with some friends. I jumped on an Au server and it had a lot of players.

19. Post
    if you have a house full of gamers you should get a worms game. armageddon, world party or revolution.

20. Post
    War thunder is pretty sweet, it's still early beta and they will be bringing alot more to the table. Also you can't go wrong with Natural Selection 2 for casual or competitive gameplay.

21. Post
    Daaft wrote:
    Natural Selection 2!

22. Post
    Planetside 2 and Firefall are my two multiplayer games of choice as of late.
    Both are MMOFPS and have squad based mechanics if you like to play that way.
    They're free to play so the only investment required to see if they're your thing or not is the download bandwidth.

23. Post
    League of legends

24. Post
    Since Socks is asking for PS3 games, then how about Uncharted 3? I'd imagine that it still has a healthy online population due to a lack of any real competition, until The Last of Us comes out at least.

25. Post
    NBA Jam if you're into that at all. Not online but the couch multiplayer is great. Used to have heaps of fun playing 2v2 with my old flatmates